Sponsored

Cooler Retrofit Compilation Thread / Sticky Request

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Would a better internet warrior than I am mind compiling here the pending or developing transmission cooler retrofit options that have been mentioned so far? And, I ask from the bottom of my heart that this thread be strictly limited to either notice of retrofit options, or updates on those options. Puh-leeze!!

This is not the place for any debate or discussion about what should/should not have happened with 2016 Base/Tech cars, or what owners do/don't deserve. Those topics are still breaking keyboards elsewhere. My hope is that this thread will remain focused on specific options.

If there's a better way to do this, then by all means, let's make it happen!

What I've seen in my reading at Mustang6G thus far:

Zombiekiller posted on 03/07/16 a reference in the "Limp Mode Poll" thread that FP may "in fact" be working on a retrofit solution.

Pikes Peak Racing (TSmith) has posted throughout several threads about developing a retrofit option with the hope that a basic prototype setup could be in the works by the week of March 7, 2016.

There was another post (perhaps more) in a thread I've lost track of that a Tremec Master Dealer in Pennsylvania was looking into a retrofit cooling option. This started somewhere around March 5, 2016 (?).

Anything else?

Edit 2/2017 - My personal cooling solution installation:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58966
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'll mention here that I sent an email to Pikes Peak racing about 4-5 weeks ago to ask about their cooler development. No response. And, I don't think the Pikes Peak poster has provided any more updates in that particular cooler thread.

So far, at least on this forum, the only confirmed tranny cooler solution designed, fabricated and running in the wild is SVTDM's. Rock on!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I'll mention here that I sent an email to Pikes Peak racing about 4-5 weeks ago to ask about their cooler development. No response. And, I don't think the Pikes Peak poster has provided any more updates in that particular cooler thread.

So far, at least on this forum, the only confirmed tranny cooler solution designed, fabricated and running in the wild is SVTDSM's. Rock on!
SVTDSM is a pioneer and a savior for the base/tech owners.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
He's certainly the pioneer, but I personally wish he does not also have to be the savior. At the risk of breaking my own thread-starter rule/request, my one real gripe in all this was the choice to use a different transmission in the base/tech cars. That's the real hurdle here, and there just isn't a head-slap emoji big enough for that choice.

Ok. I'm taking my hands away from the keyboard now and keeping all lanes clear for positive updates!

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Thanks for starting this thread, hopefully FP will join in the discussion! :cheers:

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
So i have made some progress on this.

Trans cooler:

Just like SVTDSM, I will be using the fill and drain ports. Based on his outcome, I went with the smallest pump from RBRacing ( helical, brass gear, oil rated pump usually used to scavenge oil for turbo systems) which is 2 GPM. My goal is to keep the trans under 200 degrees on the track. I think this will do it without issue. lower flow ratio leaves less chance of cavitation as well. I did this , in some shape , to also have more mounting options based on the much smaller exterior dimensions of the small electric pump. I plan to retain my windshield washer res as well.

Where i differ from him:

1. the pump. My cost on the pump with 8AN fittings is $325.

2. I will be using aeroquip hoses and ends.

3. I will be using the factory finned cooler and brackets. I will be using factory line fittings for the cooler end of the hoses ( yes, i figured it out).

4. I will be running mine powered off of a relay and will be installing the switch to the left of the usb port right below the HVAC where the dash and console meet.

I do not have all my parts yet. waiting on autonation to ship my order.

Differential cooler:

I ordered the factory parts in their entirety from my dealer save for the temp sensor.

This includes all brackets, the electric pump, fittings, lines etc. I did this because i want it to be bolt in. Ford's diff cooler pump is spec'd to not have to be mounted vertically. the cost of the pump is less than an aftermarket pump.

I have not decided whether i will use a thermal switch or not. There is a threaded bung on the diff cover for the temp sensor that could be used if you dont care what the actual temp is.

I also plan to wire in a manual switch, placed right next to the switch for the trans cooler. This way when it comes time to change diff fluid, i can unhook a line and use the pump to drain the fluid.

That's all i have for now, until i get all the parts in my hands.

I opted to just go for it based on FP's last statement of "Fall" for cooler kits.

Today is in mid 80s here. My trans temps hit 225 degrees just driving around town. based on the wide delta between the operating maximum temp of the track pack trans at 165 degrees and my 225 degrees, i did not want to wait and risk longevity.

I also plan to install my kooks headers to go with my magnaflow exhaust, plus run 104 260gtx max in the car. Higher horsepower, plus hotter weather conditions = an absolute need to cool the car.

If and when Ford releases the trans cooler kit , i may still switch over, depending on the cost of the kit, but this solution will work for the time being and will be factory parts, for the most part.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm in for less than $2K for everything. This includes sales tax in Louisiana which is over 10%. you should be able to replicate what I'm doing for under $1800.

HTH!

and if anyone needs part numbers, I have them.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350

Trans cooler:

Just like SVTDSM, I will be using the fill and drain ports. Based on his outcome, I went with the smallest pump from RBRacing ( helical, brass gear, oil rated pump usually used to scavenge oil for turbo systems) which is 2 GPM. My goal is to keep the trans under 200 degrees on the track. I think this will do it without issue. lower flow ratio leaves less chance of cavitation as well. I did this , in some shape , to also have more mounting options based on the much smaller exterior dimensions of the small electric pump. I plan to retain my windshield washer res as well.

Where i differ from him:

3. I will be using the factory finned cooler and brackets. I will be using factory line fittings for the cooler end of the hoses ( yes, i figured it out).

4. I will be running mine powered off of a relay and will be installing the switch to the left of the usb port right below the HVAC where the dash and console meet.

Differential cooler:

I ordered the factory parts in their entirety from my dealer save for the temp sensor.

This includes all brackets, the electric pump, fittings, lines etc. I did this because i want it to be bolt in. Ford's diff cooler pump is spec'd to not have to be mounted vertically. the cost of the pump is less than an aftermarket pump.

I have not decided whether i will use a thermal switch or not. There is a threaded bung on the diff cover for the temp sensor that could be used if you dont care what the actual temp is.

I also plan to wire in a manual switch, placed right next to the switch for the trans cooler. This way when it comes time to change diff fluid, i can unhook a line and use the pump to drain the fluid.

That's all i have for now, until i get all the parts in my hands.

I opted to just go for it based on FP's last statement of "Fall" for cooler kits.

Today is in mid 80s here. My trans temps hit 225 degrees just driving around town. based on the wide delta between the operating maximum temp of the track pack trans at 165 degrees and my 225 degrees, i did not want to wait and risk longevity.

I also plan to install my kooks headers to go with my magnaflow exhaust, plus run 104 260gtx max in the car. Higher horsepower, plus hotter weather conditions = an absolute need to cool the car.

If and when Ford releases the trans cooler kit , i may still switch over, depending on the cost of the kit, but this solution will work for the time being and will be factory parts, for the most part.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm in for less than $2K for everything. This includes sales tax in Louisiana which is over 10%. you should be able to replicate what I'm doing for under $1800.

HTH!

and if anyone needs part numbers, I have them.
Zombiekiller,

You are "da man" for sourcing all of the parts to install on your car. Your method though different from the other user who installed an aftermarket cooler, uses many of the factory parts, which makes it very appealing.

I would like to know if you could document, step by step, your cooler installation method/s. For sure, it would be very interesting for those others looking to do the same thing. How far are you from Virginia? I will shoot you a PM for a list of the parts, if you could please share. Thanks. Good luck on your endeavor, we are rooting for you and hoping for positive results. :thumbsup::cheers:

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Zombiekiller,

Did you order all of the factory parts through a dealer? I think the answer is "yes", but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Zombiekiller,

Did you order all of the factory parts through a dealer? I think the answer is "yes", but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks.
I ordered all but one, a bracket, which is backordered nationally.

I was able to find a wholesale ford oem parts dealer with one in stock though.

the dealer that i bought my car from has an absolutely amazing service team and parts team.

the dudes in parts were pretty stoked to sit down with parts diagrams and figure everything out with me.

Sponsored

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Zombiekiller,

You are "da man" for sourcing all of the parts to install on your car. Your method though different from the other user who installed an aftermarket cooler, uses many of the factory parts, which makes it very appealing.

I would like to know if you could document, step by step, your cooler installation method/s. For sure, it would be very interesting for those others looking to do the same thing. How far are you from Virginia? I will shoot you a PM for a list of the parts, if you could please share. Thanks. Good luck on your endeavor, we are rooting for you and hoping for positive results. :thumbsup::cheers:
I'm happy to document. everyone will have to deal with semi-crappy cellphone pics though.

I'm in new Orleans, so not exactly around the corner from VA.

I will probably have the car in Atlanta in June, but that is as close as I'll get to virginia and have my car with me.

I got my hands on some leftover nomex split loom, which i'll be using for this as well. The idea is to make my install as close to factory as possible.

Once I get the factory differential pump, i'll also research the right splice kit for the opposite plug end to power the pump. I like the way the ford plugs seal better than weatherpack anyway.

I'm thinking that it will not be that difficult, based on the grommets in the trunk floor, to run the differential pump wiring up through the passenger cabin if i need to.

the hardest part now is planning out wiring that appears factory and is up to my standards. I also need to research what the power draw is on the factory fluid pump to make sure that I fuse it properly.

I'll say this. Anyone who is going to do a trans cooler, should also really consider doing a differential cooler too.

After driving for 2 hours, then leaving the car sit for 90 mins, the trans is cool. The differential stays warm for 4-5 hours after normal driving. i cant imagine what the temps look like after tracking for 25-30 mins without a cooler.

The differential cooler parts numbers that you'd need are as follows:

FR3Z-3F749-A
FR3Z-4C158-A
FR3Z-4C159-A
FR3Z-4C159-B
qty 2 DR3Z-6K741-A
qty 2 8C3Z-7Z465-A

The trans cooler parts that you'll need:

FR3Z-7D388-A
FR3Z-7A095-C
FR3Z-8310F
you'll also need qty 2 8C3Z-7Z465-A ( these are for the cooler side of the 8An hose)

beyond that -

8 AN hose.
some NPT to 8AN adapter fittings ( one 90 degree, one straight)
3 straight 8AN hose ends
1 90 degree 8 AN hose end
an electric fluid pump ( choose your own adventure)
a quality relay
various electrical connectors and wires
a switch.

I have the hardware bits sorted. As i said above, i also have the trans cooler wiring sorted. I just need to work out the differential pump wiring.

I'll be using my ngauge to monitor trans temps.

I'm not sure yet if i'm going to install a differential fluid temp gauge,wire a thermal switch in set for 170 degrees, or just plan to turn the pump on when i know it is hot out or it is an extended drive.

I'm also on the fence as to whether an additional in-line sub-micron filter is necessary. I'm thinking that i may want to add one for both, but i have to to the fluid dynamics math to see if it will impede flow too much on both pumps. I dont think it is necessary on the differential, as i cant locate a filter in the factory design.

i couldnt get access to internal parts diagrams for the internals of the manual transmission, so i can't figure out if there is a filter, or if the mechanical pump just doesnt need one.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350

Trans cooler:

Where i differ from him:

Great minds work alike! Doing the same thing. Ordered the parts today. Lots of room below the pass. seat for the pump.

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it can be kept clean unlike the other cannibalistic limp mode threads that are going on. So far looks good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

Trans cooler:
How are you reading your trans temperatures?
Sponsored