Converting whipple 2.9 gen 3 to gen 4

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello , curious if anyone has sent in their blower , a gen 3 , to be converted into a gen 4 ? How much did it run you as well ? Il probably call whipple on Monday to get an answer but I’m impatient hah. Thanks
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Well, as maybe the only one to have a modified gen3, Whipple called it a gen3.95, I would advise you not to do it. The cost of shipping both ways and the work cost of housing modification and rotor face work would not be worth the performance and efficiency gains (smaller gains than gen2 to gen3 resulted). The gen3 was the best leap in generation of that design and you’re truly better off staying with that. If you just absolutely got to have a gen4, you’re better off selling your head and buying an off the shelf gen4. My cost and your cost would not be the same as I live close to Whipple and mine was a prototype and happened when I switched from my gen2 to the gen3.95 which I’ve been happily running for a long time. Consider the gen5 3.0 or just go crazy with the upcoming 3.8 coming out soon.

OniVita

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang S550 PP
Well, as maybe the only one to have a modified gen3, Whipple called it a gen3.95, I would advise you not to do it. The cost of shipping both ways and the work cost of housing modification and rotor face work would not be worth the performance and efficiency gains (smaller gains than gen2 to gen3 resulted). The gen3 was the best leap in generation of that design and you’re truly better off staying with that. If you just absolutely got to have a gen4, you’re better off selling your head and buying an off the shelf gen4. My cost and your cost would not be the same as I live close to Whipple and mine was a prototype and happened when I switched from my gen2 to the gen3.95 which I’ve been happily running for a long time. Consider the gen5 3.0 or just go crazy with the upcoming 3.8 coming out soon.
I'm still at Gen 2 in my 2016 GT, but how much gain from gen2 to gen 3/4? And do you think it's worth in stock engine (with whipple tune since I got no tuner where I live) ?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I'm still at Gen 2 in my 2016 GT, but how much gain from gen2 to gen 3/4? And do you think it's worth in stock engine (with whipple tune since I got no tuner where I live) ?
If you’re looking to upgrade might as well just go to the Gen4. Probably the same cost. You can live anywhere and get a tune (well CA makes it difficult) but if you don’t want a tune, the upgrade is worth it from the efficiency point. People out there will still buy a gen2 head at a fair price. That being said, your gen2 is still a great unit and doesn’t ‘need’ to be changed.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good questions. I recently installed my Gen 2 Whipple and was tuned by Lund. The car is an animal now on E85 and the 3.5 Pulley. I know a while ago in the Cobra world there were tons of Cobra Guys dumping their 2.9L Gen 2 whipples for Gen 3 models and showing little to no real world gains on the dyno. Seemed like a lot of disappointment for the amount of time and money spent.
Sponsored