Sponsored

Convertible Rollover protection

leftywayn

Past Mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
What a stupid thing to say. Just because the guy wants to be safe does't mean he has to sacrifice the car he wants. He was just asking a question.
There is inherent risk in everything we do. Maybe slightly more in a convertible.

THIS IS CALLED COMMON SENSE.

If you need to ask, then maybe you should put your children in the safest vehicle possible, or just take the subway.
Sponsored

landon_John

Threads
Reaction score
There is inherent risk in everything we do. Maybe slightly more in a convertible.

THIS IS CALLED COMMON SENSE.

If you need to ask, then maybe you should put your children in the safest vehicle possible, or just take the subway.
You must be an absolute joy at parties. It went from the OP asking if the car had a roll cage, to you telling him to take the subway.

You even clearly said you don't understand the point, it went right over your head.

leftywayn

Past Mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
take it easy landon... it's easy to be tough on the internet.

And yes I am quite a lot of fun at parties.

MustangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang
I'm about to order a 2015 Mustang, but trying to decide whether to order a convertible. I have kids that may ride in the back sometimes. Does anyone know whether the convertible has any rollover protection beyond the windshield frame?
FWIW, the new Mustang's stability control system incorporates the roll stability control that has been in Ford trucks for the better part of a decade as well as curve control. The RSC includes a roll rate sensor in addition to all of the accelerometers and yaw rate sensors used in other stability control systems. When the roll rate is looks like it could be getting too high the system reigns things in to try to minimize the risk of rolling and the curve control will actively slow the car down if you are going into a corner too fast for the conditions.

If you opt for a premium with the selectable drive modes, the stability control can be disabled in track mode and sport+ raises the limits for activation.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
FWIW, the new Mustang's stability control system incorporates the roll stability control that has been in Ford trucks for the better part of a decade as well as curve control. The RSC includes a roll rate sensor in addition to all of the accelerometers and yaw rate sensors used in other stability control systems. When the roll rate is looks like it could be getting too high the system reigns things in to try to minimize the risk of rolling and the curve control will actively slow the car down if you are going into a corner too fast for the conditions.

If you opt for a premium with the selectable drive modes, the stability control can be disabled in track mode and sport+ raises the limits for activation.
So the short answer is; can it roll over? yes. Is it easy to roll? probably not. I've owned several convertibles and I've never given it much concern. Things can happen but they're not very likely.

Sponsored

Esfoad

Threads
Reaction score
Thumbs up Rickycardo. The OP asked a simple question. The answer is no rollover protection. Now it's his decision whether to buy this car, another vert with the protection he asked about or a hard top.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Did you miss the point?

Please help me understand your point...The gap from convertible to Volvo is fairly large so I must be missing something.

The Op's question seems pretty legitimate to me....I've thought about the vert and to be frank I've had plenty of questions about the safety myself..

OP
OP

jorgetav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C400
Thanks for the answers and support. I have 2 SUVs in the family, including one with 500+HP to drive the kids in, so I'll pass on the Volvo. I'll still order a convertible, but wanted to understand all the risks with putting people in the back seat. The windshield frame appears to be strong enough to protect people in the front seats.

leftywayn

Past Mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Please help me understand your point...The gap from convertible to Volvo is fairly large so I must be missing something.

The Op's question seems pretty legitimate to me....I've thought about the vert and to be frank I've had plenty of questions about the safety myself..
Sarcasm.