roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
So some info before hand. Currently my car as a CAI and cat back exhaust, paired with an MPT tune on 93 and has 3.15 gears. I did 60 rolls with a stock 2015 GT recently and only had him pulling away at slightly slower than walking speed. I'm currently able to average about 38mpg at 60mph and around 33mpg at 75mph (usually getting about 13.5-14 AFR at WOT).

Anyways my two main questions:
1. Would switching to 3.73 gears give me considerable performance increase at higher speeds or does that pertain more to lower speeds?
2. How badly would it affect my gas mileage.

I'm a college student and getting good gas mileage is moderately important :like:

Other random question. I managed to get up to the low 140's the other day, how would the gears affect being able to reach top speed.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It's pure mathematical / mechanical advantage. Acceleration will be night and day. I have 3.55's and the difference was huge. If you want to save some money - buy a complete 3.73 rear end from a 15-17 GT. Bolts right in. You have to replace your differential if you want to have 3.73's installed. Not the entire pumpkin - just the diff. If you have to pay labor to have the gears installed (set back lash / shim it etc) you'd be way ahead buying a used complete rear end.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's pure mathematical / mechanical advantage. Acceleration will be night and day. I have 3.55's and the difference was huge. If you want to save some money - buy a complete 3.73 rear end from a 15-17 GT. Bolts right in. You have to replace your differential if you want to have 3.73's installed. Not the entire pumpkin - just the diff. If you have to pay labor to have the gears installed (set back lash / shim it etc) you'd be way ahead buying a used complete rear end.
Is there still a night and day difference when you do a pull after 60 mph? and hows your gas mileage?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Is there still a night and day difference when you do a pull after 60 mph? and hows your gas mileage?
The difference is all the way through the rev range. That's the entire point of the gears. Don't use me as an example, my car has long tubes 3" GT exhaust, ported intakes, air intake, bigger throttle body and a tune. I get 19-22mpg 50/50 around town / interstate and I beat on it constantly. It's fun to drive. 25-27mpg running @ 78mph on the interstate for long stretches.
Sponsored