Sponsored

Color matching DIB

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
So I noticed a blemish in my paint and took it to the dealership. I heard back and there are three options:
1. They will try to buff it out and see if that works.
2. They will have to paint the area but say color matching will be an issue.
3. (not from the dealer but how it is) Ignore it because the car is amazing other than a tiny bump in the paint.

How hard is it to color match DIB? In the first few months of owned my last Mustang, 1999 Laser Red Tinted Clearcoat, someone decided that the lines were lacking and jacked up the rear passenger fender. The body shop had to paint the entire fender and it was good except it had one area where the clearcoat did not ever bond and it peeled. Also as the years of Texas sun took their toll, that one fender remained the reddest.

Is color matching DIB difficult? If not, I am tempted to go that route. I am also worried about another clearcoat bonding issue.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
What does the blemish look like? Do you have a picture of it? If it not deep in the paint and only in the clear, then I would go the buffing route and correct it that way.

My decision would be based on how deep or intrusive the blemish actually is.

OP
OP

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
My car is at the dealer because they had it for the weekend to fix a rattling in the trim ring around the tach and the doorguard film was peeling so it was replaced.

I am considering rescuing it while I do some soul searching.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Just live with it as long as the blemish is not severe. Factory paint and clear coat cannot be duplicated. Ever have a bumper refinished? The slightest chip and the paint flakes off.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
DO NOT JUST LIVE WITH IT MAN!!! Make them fix it. If you just live with it, you know that it's there and it will bug you the whole time yo own the car!

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Just live with it as long as the blemish is not severe. Factory paint and clear coat cannot be duplicated. Ever have a bumper refinished? The slightest chip and the paint flakes off.
That is not true. I have had 3 cars fixed with work and not one time did any issues happen. You have to go to a competent body shop and they will get it done as good or better than factory.

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed

Jesus christ man this at least the second time you've spouted this. Take the one experience you have as an example and let it go. There are countless others who have had cars resprayed without any incident. You act like the paint process for ford is the same as Ferrari it isn't and lets be honest there are plenty of examples out there of new fords with less than high quality paint jobs (ie. orange peel etc.).

If you have had a respray done multiple times id say look for the common denominator for your issues/experience. If the body shop you have taken your vehicles to cant match the paint or has issues with quality id say its them not the process.

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
DO NOT JUST LIVE WITH IT MAN!!! Make them fix it. If you just live with it, you know that it's there and it will bug you the whole time yo own the car!

wait. was it like that on delivery? or is like a scratch etc? just saying maybe it isnt the dealers fault?

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Maybe it wasnt, maybe it happened in transit. Either way the dealer needs to take care of this as a representitive of Ford.

Sales@BBR

Sales & Tech
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blowbyracing.com
Vehicle(s)
BlowByRacing
When I bought my 13 brand new. It has a lot of contamidents in the paint from sitting outside. I had them "fix" which ended up them just waxing it but with a plastic bag, you can feel everything in the paint. After showing them this and me putting my foot down, they ended up wet-sanding the entire car which fixed it. I then had my friend who details completely go over the car. In the 3 years I have owned it, He has cleaned it up twice.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
wait. was it like that on delivery? or is like a scratch etc? just saying maybe it isnt the dealers fault?
This blemish is IN the paint. It looks to be in the actual paint. I don't think buffing will work because it doesn't seem to be in the clear coat.

There is a scratch that I would love to know how it got there as well but it is distinct and I am not asking that it be repaired. It could have been there or not. I can't say. I would like the blemish addressed but I am concerned the fix would be worse than the small problem.

OP
OP

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I'd get the entire front clip replaced. it's a brand new car, should look that way. At least you still get to drive your car, while the new front clip gets delivered.
That is not an option. The blemish is right above the passenger window about two thirds of the way back into the window or about half way on the roof line. There is no bolt on solution.

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
That is not an option. The blemish is right above the passenger window about two thirds of the way back into the window or about half way on the roof line. There is no bolt on solution.

Yea sorry I just deleted my post... that was meant for another thread :doh: