Cold air intake upgrade?

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Is there any reason (Performance improvement?) to replacing the factory air intake with something like a JLT Cold Air Intake? I don't know enough to know whether there is much, if any difference between an aftermarket intake and the factory one.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think a sealed air box is best, as it shields against the hot engine bay heat. My PMAS serves its purpose in that it allowed me to run my nitrous plate kit., although I would rather have had a closed box like the factory one with just a drop in K&N air filter.

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I think a sealed air box is best, as it shields against the hot engine bay heat. My PMAS serves its purpose in that it allowed me to run my nitrous plate kit., although I would rather have had a closed box like the factory one with just a drop in K&N air filter.
You have a link for a closed box that will fit the 2020 GT350?

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Iā€™ll assume it also fits the GT350 although not advertised as such???
Not sure, but itā€™s badass! I wish I had a GT500, so I could buy one. I can imagine lining the inside of the box with heat resistant tape to see if that would produce even cooler IATs.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Seems it's for the GT500...
My bad sir. I guess I should put my readers on. I swear I thought your post said GT500. It may be worth calling them to see if they offer one though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I have the roush cai . It is sealed .The tube has a sleeve you can remove if you do a tune.
What I have as well. Sleeve in trunk. :wink:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks, but still not seeing anything that answers my question. Wondering IF there is any real (performance upgrade) reason to replace my stock CAI with something else, or a closed box...?
Anytime you can lower IATs thatā€™s a good thing and good for performance. I would say that there is a performance gain to be had with any kind of lid on it because it keeps the heat out. PMAS looks better than the JLT. I canā€™t really say that it makes any more power over the factory box because it still allows hot engine air to be sucked in like the factory box. I only bought it because I needed it to facilitate my nitrous install.

C460C51A-0D85-416F-B06F-DC1E36DC0DAF.jpeg

I would suggest trying the plexiglass (itā€™s cheap enough to buy a piece of plexiglass), on your factory GT350 box and then monitor IATs with and without it in place to see the gains, or confirm it with some Dyno pulls.

Last edited:

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
You have a link for a closed box that will fit the 2020 GT350?
Pretty sure that as soon as you close the hood you have e a closed air box. Iā€™m not in front of my car at the moment but feel like I recall seeing the indentations on the under hood lining from the air box surround (i.e., it closes tight enough to form a seal)