StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
Hello all
Im considering grabbing a coil over setup soon (taxes) for my mostly street car 16 GT PP I never owned a car with a coil over setup but always wanted to, ive looked around the forum for some answers but no luck. What are the pros and cons in going coil over rather than springs.

Im thinking : SR Performance coils-overs
or
Pedders Extreme XA Coilover
or
ST Suspension
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Pros: you get the ability to customize height and damping
Cons: bloody expensive, hard to get right, alignment after each height adjustment

I wouldn't go cheap on these (like anything else), research the spring rates and damper rates to be what you want. On the rears, it's preferable if the spring and shocks are separate (in other words, not coilover) due to the shock mounting point on the chassis. I'd prefer one that you get to choose your spring rates (like Steeda, for example).

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Just installed the Pedder's kit. Was highly impressed with the build quality for a lower priced kit.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all
Im considering grabbing a coil over setup soon (taxes) for my mostly street car 16 GT PP I never owned a car with a coil over setup but always wanted to, ive looked around the forum for some answers but no luck. What are the pros and cons in going coil over rather than springs.

Im thinking : SR Performance coils-overs
or
Pedders Extreme XA Coilover
or
ST Suspension
Happy to help put you in contact with one of our build experts - they can help assist with any questions you may have.

You can check out our selection here & we do offer forum pricing - https://www.steeda.com/mustang-coilovers

You can email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
StickShiftyFifty

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
thank you

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Be very cautious when buying a coilover kit for a street car. The spring rates are generally very stiff and your ride quality can get completely punishing if you don't choose the right setup.

With that said, if you get the correct setup you can have increased handling and adjust the ride height to what you want which is a bonus; as is saying "I have coilovers" which seems to be a buzzword for the younger crowd.

I'll always recommend a tried-and-true traditional spring setup for a daily driver. The facts surrounding expense alone justifies this: you can get a full suspension upgrade for the price of the coilovers, not to mention having a non-adjustable suspension gives you fewer OCD-induced sleepless nights.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Check out the Ford performance track suspension kit for $1000.
Lots of performance for the dollar.

Ford performance also has a street suspension kit same price slightly less track oriented and more dd.

*edit [MENTION=33285]iTutn[/MENTION] : adding mention of ST/KW option as it should not have been left out.

Or KW3 (KW tuned) or Ford Roush (KW3 built, Roush tuned) both full coilovers with compression and rebound as well as ride height. ~$3200

MCS, SACHS, DSSV if sky is the limit.

Last edited:

iTutn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro R / 2016 GT Premium PP
Check out the Ford performance track suspension kit for $1000.
Lots of performance for the dollar.

Or KW3 (KW tuned) or Ford Roush (KW3 built, Roush tuned) both full coilovers with compression and rebound as well as ride height. ~$3200

MCS, SACHS, DSSV if sky is the limit.
To add to This, if you're budget conscious ST Suspension = KW so you'll get that same quality / reputation.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'll always recommend a tried-and-true traditional spring setup for a daily driver. The facts surrounding expense alone justifies this: you can get a full suspension upgrade for the price of the coilovers, not to mention having a non-adjustable suspension gives you fewer OCD-induced sleepless nights.
Second that...

A good coil over kit will be expensive...for a street I believe it's easier/cheaper to get the desired drop/rates/damping with mixing and matching springs/dampers. Saves up some money for CB005 and other "essential" suspension mods.
Sponsored