Sponsored

Clutch went out. Ford not covering it?

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
just get a roush intake and worry about a tune down the road then and take the insert out
yea i may, but its a new car first year, probably going to wait a year or two for a tune, in case anything goes wrong or recalls so im covered.

OP
OP

SlateStang92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The jumping of the clutch engagement marks raise questions. I see no hot spots to point excessive abuse. If i could see the clutch rivets better it could help. With what little i see it looks like a defective clutch. I do see glazing on the pressure plate. Which i asked if he slips his clutch much. Yet i got no response
I ride the clutch very little. I have accidentally from time to time to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

SlateStang92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
There were no smells or sounds before this happened. I was cruising ~65mph on the highway when I started to slow down and went to shift into 5th.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Problem is the dealership had a car tying up a bay with the trans out of it. The tech seen clutch disc material fall out of a modded mustang. They want the quick easy customer pay hours. They don't want to wait for a field rep to show up and tell them to replace it under warranty and lose hours on the job. So they take a shot and tell you to pay for a clutch. The clutch is one of those pain in the ass parts to warranty. Just like brakes. You can easily fuck them up by driver influence. If the dealership just claimed that under warranty with no approval the second they turn those parts in, if they get called back, they take the risk of not getting paid for the job from Ford. Luckily for BMW customers though you get one clutch disc replacement under maintenance. But you hardly ever see them needed in 4yr/50k. Just tell them you want to talk to the Ford field trip and you want it to be looked at by them before you pay for anything. If they so know, then you're your own.

Sponsored

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
The sad fact is is that doesn't matter if the clutch was defective or abused, they saw you have an intake and know it requires a tune... there's their out and they are going to take it. Sure you can fight it and you might win or you might not. In the end it may be less overall aggravation to just pay for a new clutch. It sucks. That's for sure.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
There were no smells or sounds before this happened. I was cruising ~65mph on the highway when I started to slow down and went to shift into 5th.

I stand by my assessment of your clutch as faulty. If this helps you also in how ive reached that conclusion ive been a master tech at 4 different brand dealers. Toyota, ford, subaru and bmw. Ive seen a lot in my days of working on cars.:D

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
For the record this is what hot spots can look like. A sign of abuse.

Extreme glazing of the flywheel and pressure plate indicates excessive slipping or riding/resting foot on the clutch when not shifting. It looks much like the mirrored finish of when people glaze their rotors.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
If any car manufacturer could get away with not offering any warranty, they would. They do not want to cover anything under warranty. But...somethings they have to because they put it in writing, writen by attorneys. They will do anything to get out of covering an item at their cost if it is at all possible.

It's not right, but we all know it's true. So if they think that there is anything that they can hang their hat on to deny a claim, they will and do.

Even if you had gone home and removed all of the mods including the tune, the PCM would have shown / recorded that it had a second flash. There's their out! You modded the drive train...warranty void.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I can say the oe clutch isnt that great to want another one. Most oe usually arent anyway. If they dont replace it the replacement will be a very good upgrade though. Well... as long as you dont buy a shit clutch.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Clutch has always been a wear item and not covered under warranty, regardless of mods. They wouldn't have covered it even if you were stock.
This is 100% correct! Just pay for a new clutch and move on......Maybe think about an automatic transmission next time? I also agree with purchasing an aftermarket clutch and have it installed at a transmission shop. For what Ford will probably charge for parts and labor I bet you could get a nice Spec or mcloud heavy duty clutch.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I recommend a McLeod RST. One of the best clutches I have had! Driveability was very close to stock too.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
This is 100% correct! Just pay for a new clutch and move on......Maybe think about an automatic transmission next time? I also agree with purchasing an aftermarket clutch and have it installed at a transmission shop. For what Ford will probably charge for parts and labor I bet you could get a nice Spec or mcloud heavy duty clutch.
Nissan replaced my clutch when it went out within warranty. I'd have to admit that was a very long time ago though (90s). They did not bat an eye...

I find it hard to believe Ford would not cover a failed clutch within the warranty.

I think the "way out" for Ford is the tune... or at least that is what they will say. That is the reason I keep my sct with me when I travel away from the house long distances.

Bad situation for the OP... I'd push it and see if Ford would intervene.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Another thread to make me not want an mt82 best of luck op that sucks

Viperbluecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base PP Recaros
My buddies 04 get did this with 1900 miles on it and ford covered it. They don't cover wear items but if the item is defective they do cover.
Sponsored