Sponsored

Clutch Throwout Bearing

DSW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT PP
Some historical context: I have about 35k miles on my 2017 GT 6MT and have had NO issues with my clutch throughout ownership.

A few weeks back, I started to hear a noticeable squeal when engaging my clutch. No problems with shifting or anything of that nature, just a noticeable squeal when I'd engage the clutch. Immediately I thought clutch throwout bearing so I scheduled my car to get looked at a local Ford dealer. Went in and they confirmed they could replicate the sound, but told me it was normal so they added some lubricant, annotated the issue, and sent me on my way. I can confirm the squeal has stopped and I haven't had any issues since.

I don't however have a warm and fuzzy given the problems I've seen others have had with Ford's clutches. Im also very near the end of my factory warranty, which they pointed out to me at the dealer (literally in a few weeks). Couple that with everything going on with the pandemic, I'm somewhat convinced they did not want to cover the work. I hate to automatically jump to that conclusion but I've heard some horror stories about Ford's service.

I thought of taking to another dealer, or even taking to a local shop to get a second opinion. With my factory warranty coming to an end, what exactly are my options? I just feel as their solution was to put a bandaid on the issue since I was already at the end of my factory warranty anyway. Thoughts?
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Personally I will be buying the Ford extended warranty through someone like Flood Ford for the peace of mind. I had it on my Lincoln LS and it got me a whole new transmission among a host of other things. It's not too much money extra.

OP
OP
DSW

DSW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT PP
Didn’t even occur to me to think of that. May be worth while.

I did a quick quote and its estimating that I’d pay around $100/month for the premium care plan. Honestly doesn’t sound too bad an idea for what I’d be getting.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
They are not going to warranty your clutch at 36k. It is a wear item. Service manager told me 12k/ 1yr. I had to pay for mine with 19k miles at the time.

Plan on an upgrade cause their made it Turkey clutches suck. Add the TOB and Pilot bearing as well. Cheap insurance.
Sponsored

Reactions: DSW