Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

Sk0t24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Inconsistent and vague pedal feel were my only complaints about my car. Removing the spring made a huge difference for me. Just feels more connected.

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I drive in pretty heavy traffic daily and still prefer the spring removed. I'd estimate it at 30% stiffer, but I like that it feels more controllable.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I drive in pretty heavy traffic daily and still prefer the spring removed. I'd estimate it at 30% stiffer, but I like that it feels more controllable.
Another vote for like the more controllable. In fact it never even crosses my mind anymore that the clutch is stiffer. If I'd test driven the car like this I'd never know the difference as it's lighter than many of the manual cars I've driven. It is a sports car after all.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
I just pulled the spring out... went out for a quick spin... I'm not sure how I feel about it

The bad news is that I broke one of the "ears" in the process

Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Alright, went out again for a little bit longer spin and I like it better. The only complaint is wobbly clutch at the top but I can overlook that for "better feel"

Wayne K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I just pulled the spring out... went out for a quick spin... I'm not sure how I feel about it

The bad news is that I broke one of the "ears" in the process
If you want to put it back it will work just fine with the ear damage. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Screwdgie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT 6M
Just picked up my GT Tuesday and for the life of me cannot consistently shift smoothly, especially from 1-2. I have been driving manuals all my life and this one has been pissing me off. Looks like I'll be taking that retarded spring out

Wayne K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Just picked up my GT Tuesday and for the life of me cannot consistently shift smoothly, especially from 1-2. I have been driving manuals all my life and this one has been pissing me off. Looks like I'll be taking that retarded spring out

It is a learning curve. When I got the car I was disappointed with the numb clutch so I took the spring thing out and it drove much like the 2010 GT I had before this one. After a week I put it back in as I was concerned about the pedal not completely returning and possible release bearing wear. After a few weeks I now am pretty smooth with it in so until someone can confirm that there will not be any future issues with leaving it out it is going to stay in.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Mine's still in ... shifting is a breeze once you calibrate your leg. You can always take it out and see how you like it. Some guys put it back in, most leave it out.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
It is a learning curve. When I got the car I was disappointed with the numb clutch so I took the spring thing out and it drove much like the 2010 GT I had before this one. After a week I put it back in as I was concerned about the pedal not completely returning and possible release bearing wear. After a few weeks I now am pretty smooth with it in so until someone can confirm that there will not be any future issues with leaving it out it is going to stay in.
quit making me worry!

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I probably have 1.5 million miles or more driving standard shift vehicles and have 3 presently including my '15 GT. I've had the car for a week...maybe 220 miles on it. I hate the feel of this pedal! I pulled the spring this morning, it took all of 10 seconds to remove. Took it for a 1/2 mile ride and it's staying out. Huge improvement, much more predictable feel and positive engagement.

From what I could tell, the easiest way to remove it is to hold the pedal to the floor, take medium size channel lock pliers and grip the top plastic section of the spring and as low on the coil itself as you can grab. Squeeze and twist to cause the bottom portion to unseat itself. Problem solved, glad I read this thread!

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
I ended up leaving mine in. Only the first couple of 1-2 shifts are jumpy in the morning, the rest of the day is fine. I too have sat in a spring removed 15 GT. It did feel heavier. But I think it may vary from car to car. As far as being able to tell the difference between spring and no spring, I don't think "I need more exercise", I squat 650+ routinely.
Sponsored