Rick4264

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
‘16 EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Hey guys:

I bought what it look to be a lightly used 2018 GT. Wasn’t even trying to change my EcoBoost but I saw this deal and I could not pass it up. Long story short, I got it. Car is a blast, coming from an EcoBoost it is so much fun to drive. That being said, I bought it with 11k miles. Car looked brand new and it drives like it’s brand new. I have the MT82 in it and coming from other manual transmissions I know that every clutch is different and you have to adjust to where it grabs and what not. When I picked it up, I didn’t think much of it. But the more I drive it the more it feels weird at this point. Basically what’s happening is that when you’re at a stop and try to start accelerating when the clutch starts to engage car shudders and hesitated to go unless you give it a lot of gas. Also, the clutch grabs about 3/4 of the way out. When I went up to the dealership that sold me the car for them to inspect it... the tech immediately said hey your clutch is on the way out. Tires are the original tires, they are not done for so that probably says somebody was riding the clutch? I don’t know how the previous owner drove, and I don’t know how they treated it but I’m not doing burnouts or donuts or just dumping the clutch. After five thousand miles I should not be paying close to $3k to replace it. I completely understand the clutch wears out and that it is not their fault that the previous owner screwed the clutch disc up. At this point I don’t know if it’s that or something within the transmission that failed creating excessive wear.

Does anybody has some kind of experience like this? I’m trying to get it replaced under warranty, because it’s possible but it has to be due to a failed part or else I’m responsible for all the parts and labor.

Where are y’all clutches grabbing? How many miles have you put on them?

Again, I’m not trying to screw the system or abuse it, I just think that something must’ve happened for a clutch to be out at 16k miles.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Yep sounds like the previous owner wasn't very good at driving a manual.

I was at my shop I have some work done on my car this past weekend and a Camaro guy was there pitching a fit because he blew the stock clutch, they replaced it with a McLeod RST and he blew THAT one (in 3000 miles).

You'll probably struggle to get it warrantied because its considered a wear and tear part unless you're right that it is a failure on the assembly somewhere (bad spring etc). But if I am putting money down on a bet; it would be the previous owner rode it like crazy and wore it out.

OP
OP

Rick4264

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
‘16 EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Yep sounds like the previous owner wasn't very good at driving a manual.

I was at my shop I have some work done on my car this past weekend and a Camaro guy was there pitching a fit because he blew the stock clutch, they replaced it with a McLeod RST and he blew THAT one (in 3000 miles).

You'll probably struggle to get it warrantied because its considered a wear and tear part unless you're right that it is a failure on the assembly somewhere (bad spring etc). But if I am putting money down on a bet; it would be the previous owner rode it like crazy and wore it out.
That’s insane! What is this guy doing to burn a clutch in 3000 miles!? I thought about buying an aftermarket clutch and flywheel for “improved” quality and what not. But if I do so they’ll stop covering the transmission under warranty and I purchased fords premium care... so that’s probably a no for me.

It kinda sounds like it was somebody’s first stick, and when they realized they didn’t care for it or couldn’t learn how to properly drive it they traded in. (It was traded in 8 months after original purchase date)

I guess that could’ve been a red flag, but with all the excitement about getting a GT I didn’t really think about it.
Sponsored