Sponsored

Clunking/Hitting Sound on startup

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
On my 2015 V6 Mustang I have been having a weird clunking noise when I turn the car on. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't happen but it almost sounds as if something is hitting against something. The car is a manual so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
On my 2015 V6 Mustang I have been having a weird clunking noise when I turn the car on. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't happen but it almost sounds as if something is hitting against something. The car is a manual so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Is the car shaking im suspecting bad engine mounts.

Alot of mustang owners cannot shift for shit and slam the gears on these cars so if you bought a used manual chances are pretty good the mounts and drivetrain took a beating...

It would be best to try to take it to a shop and have them inspect it

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Is the car shaking im suspecting bad engine mounts.

Alot of mustang owners cannot shift for shit and slam the gears on these cars so if you bought a used manual chances are pretty good the mounts and drivetrain took a beating...

It would be best to try to take it to a shop and have them inspect it
The car doesn't shake really, it's more this really bad sound on startup, it started happening a few weeks ago and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. The car was used but I've had it for over 2 years and I shift just fine, there's no weird noises when I put it in gear but only when I start the car.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
The car doesn't shake really, it's more this really bad sound on startup, it started happening a few weeks ago and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. The car was used but I've had it for over 2 years and I shift just fine, there's no weird noises when I put it in gear but only when I start the car.
Yeah it xan literally be anything man. It could even be the starter making noise. Can only be diagnosed in person at a shop

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Check the starter. crawl under there and grab the starter with your hand and shake the shirt out of it.

If it's loose, it will bang now and then, and leave you stranded later, or not.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Thanks
What have you done to the car? Any mods/repairs done around the time the sound started?

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
What have you done to the car? Any mods/repairs done around the time the sound started?
I haven't done anything really major, installed a roush cold air intake and a different grille. Those were all done a while ago and the sound started a few weeks to a month ago. It seemed the other day though that the car almost wasn't gonna start. When it turned on it was very weak until it kicked in and started.

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Check the starter. crawl under there and grab the starter with your hand and shake the shirt out of it.

If it's loose, it will bang now and then, and leave you stranded later, or not.
Alright thank you for the advice. I think it is the starter because the other day when I went to turn it on, it sounded very weak trying to start up until it finally kicked in.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Alright thank you for the advice. I think it is the starter because the other day when I went to turn it on, it sounded very weak trying to start up until it finally kicked in.
That could also be your battery. Start with having your battery tested, if it's original it's due for replacement.

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
That could also be your battery. Start with having your battery tested, if it's original it's due for replacement.
That is true, I recently got it replaced a little less than a year ago. But would a bad battery explain the weird clunking sound that sounds almost as if something is hitting against something else?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That is true, I recently got it replaced a little less than a year ago. But would a bad battery explain the weird clunking sound that sounds almost as if something is hitting against something else?
It's possible, if there isn't enough power getting to the starter.

But really, you need to have someone look at it, it's nothing we can answer on the internet.

702S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having a similar problem based on your description, although my car is an auto 6 speed.

Here's a video of mine for reference

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having a similar problem based on your description, although my car is an auto 6 speed.

Here's a video of mine for reference

Yeah I did, it was quite the costly repair. Had to replace my flywheel, the car was bought used a few years back so I guess whoever had it before me mangled it up pretty good. I just went ahead and replaced the clutch and slave cylinder too since I was getting a new fly wheel. After the repair I have not heard that sound once. Since your car is an automatic maybe you have to replace a flexplate?
Sponsored