Sponsored

Class Action Lawsuit for known A/C Evaporator failures on 2015 and 16 models

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I will be doing the repair myself in a week or so from October 30th, 2019. As I go thru the repair, I will post a multi segment series of videos to help others avoid the dealership mark up.
That would be great - post your DIY in the main thread as well, because that gets a ton of hits daily.

Also to note, your expense should only be the cost of a new EVAP core and Freon. There’s no need to having to replace the entire HVAC box anymore. Even Ford put out a TSB with instructions showing how to R&R the dash and the HVAC box (it’s in that main thread).

Be sure you’re getting the most recent EVAP core revision too - there’s been quite a few part number changes IF you’re buying it directly from Ford.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'm reading a few one-liners this effects the dual zone AC cars more than the single zone. Is that the case, or is the evaporator the same part across all models of Mustang?

OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm reading a few one-liners this effects the dual zone AC cars more than the single zone. Is that the case, or is the evaporator the same part across all models of Mustang?
So far, looking up parts, all suppliers have made a distinction between standard and dual zone units. I have found Ford Motorcraft evaporators listed on Ebay, surprisingly by Ford, for $140.00 with a two year warranty and $150.00 labor coverage on the warranty. This shows Ford is fully aware of the problem when they market such a new part on Ebay directly.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Just as an additional data point, my 2016 EcoBoost has right at 29,000 miles on it (dual zone A/C), and has had a slow leak in the evaporator for about a year or so. My 36/36 warranty runs out in about 3 weeks. I have no intention of letting the dealer touch the car for this repair. I'll do it myself and avoid potential issues from someone working flat rate trying to rush the job. I bought the repair parts listed in the latest TSB from Levittown Ford. The cost was $180 shipped to my door. It won't be the first time I've pulled the dash out of a car to do evaporator work-I've done a few Chrysler products, some GM, and even a Porsche 944............

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
If the car is under warranty, I don't know why you would do the work yourself. On warranty repairs I've had in the past at a dealer, there is usually an additional warranty on the parts (and possibly labor) for another 12 months or some mileage limit. Granted, I haven't owned a vehicle with a warranty in quite some time, so things could have changed quite a bit.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
If the car is under warranty, I don't know why you would do the work yourself. On warranty repairs I've had in the past at a dealer, there is usually an additional warranty on the parts (and possibly labor) for another 12 months or some mileage limit. Granted, I haven't owned a vehicle with a warranty in quite some time, so things could have changed quite a bit.
Because, quite frankly, I don't trust anyone else to do work on my vehicles. Not saying that all technicians are bad, but too many of them will try to rush and take shortcuts in order to get more income under the flat rate system that virtually every dealer shop uses. I'm a retired aircraft technician, and taking shortcuts is not in my nature. I'm totally comfortable doing my own car work, even have a two post lift in my shop. Besides, I actually kind of enjoy doing the work!

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@mustangguy88

Please do as I'd rather do this myself then trust some kid that doesnt give a shit about my car.

OP
OP
mustangguy88

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tokuzumi has some sound advice. I understand the trust issue, but by letting the dealer fix the issue you save your time, money, and get an extended warranty on the repair. A side effect of the evaporator going bad is the potential for damage to the A/C compressor, again another costly repair.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I try to do as much work on my vehicles as possible. But if a car is under warranty, I won't touch anything other than oil changes, and basic maintenance items. You paid for the warranty, might as well get some value out of it. I agree techs aren't perfect, and are paid only based on book time of a job, so it's in their best interests to complete a job quickly. But if you get confirmation there is an additional warranty on the parts/labor replaced, this is a no-brainer to farm this work out. You are just out some time to drop the car off, and pick it back up.

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to be dual zone mostly, I had a 2016 v6 base 45k miles single zone and it never went out. Now I have a Premium 2016 gt with 25k miles with dual zone and one side has already failed.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tokuzumi

15 and 16 model years are out of warranty now, its 3 years/36k

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Idk about that but his cars way too modified for the dealer not to go back and fourth with him about whether his mods caused it or not, no one wants that. In the end hed probably get it done but after how much of a headache, plus we already said we'd rather do our own.
Sponsored