Sponsored

CJPP unbranded axle-back?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I don't understand how anyone can be at that low RPM with 3.73 gears ... the ONLY time that RPM range is seen for me is when I'm accelerating in 1st gear.
Sponsored

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
I don't understand how anyone can be at that low RPM with 3.73 gears ... the ONLY time that RPM range is seen for me is when I'm accelerating in 1st gear.
What RPM are you at when driving at 100 km/h? I'm at 2000-2100 rpms.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
What RPM are you at when driving at 100 km/h? I'm at 2000-2100 rpms.
I'm in 5th gear though at that speed ... hi-way usually 110+ km/h in 6th as I recall. I don't know if I ever cruise at 100 km/h though to be honest.

I avoid going below 2,000 rpm as I find the engine lugs at that low of an rpm.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Same experience for me, also have 3.73 rear end. I'm always in that rpm range. I shift early in my neighborhood so I dont wake people up. Im almost 100% city, so I hit that rpm range a lot. Driving 70mph on the freeway is 2100rpm, which is that sweet drone spot. I'd never cruise on the freeway in 5th constantly. I want good gas mileage when I can get it

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Same experience for me, also have 3.73 rear end. I'm always in that rpm range. I shift early in my neighborhood so I dont wake people up. Im almost 100% city, so I hit that rpm range a lot. Driving 70mph on the freeway is 2100rpm, which is that sweet drone spot. I'd never cruise on the freeway in 5th constantly. I want good gas mileage when I can get it
Exactly. I'm not going to be cruising on the highway doing anywhere between 100 and 120 km/h while in 5th gear. I'll change the exhaust before I do it.

And the drone is there too as you are slowing down and the rpms fall in that 1750-2100 rpm range.

Sponsored

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Mine will be here tomorrow. Having second thoughts again about installing them. Since this thread has essentially been 20 pages of a handful of people talking (and a LOT of the dialogue was about drone vs. no drone), I wish there were more responses from different people who use them so we could distinguish whether it's a rare occurrence or a standard one and people just aren't driving in the ranges that drone is known to happen with.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I'm in 5th gear though at that speed ... hi-way usually 110+ km/h in 6th as I recall. I don't know if I ever cruise at 100 km/h though to be honest.

I avoid going below 2,000 rpm as I find the engine lugs at that low of an rpm.
Even at 110 km/h, you are still in that 2100+ range.

I agree with you that the car lugs when it falls below 2000 rpms and I'll downshift into 5th to avoid that.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
One man's drone is another's big block with 3" exhaust sound...all subjective. Try it and if you don't like it, change it. It's called life...

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mine will be here tomorrow. Having second thoughts again about installing them. Since this thread has essentially been 20 pages of a handful of people talking (and a LOT of the dialogue was about drone vs. no drone), I wish there were more responses from different people who use them so we could distinguish whether it's a rare occurrence or a standard one and people just aren't driving in the ranges that drone is known to happen with.
I hope that you have better luck than I did. Install it and if it drones, take it out and re-install your original mufflers. Easy-peasy.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are all the same muffler offered by different vendors, venture out and check reviews from these different people:

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-5230D/musta...-exhaust-15-17

https://www.cjponyparts.com/axle-ba...th-4-inch-polished-tips-gt-2015-2017/p/CBAP2/

https://www.americanmuscle.com/nxt-step-performance-axleback-exhaust-1517-gt.html

https://www.nxtstepperformance.com/Ford_Mustang_GT_Exhaust_System_2015_2016_2017_p/ex3043.htm

http://www.autoprousa.net/about_us.html

Those that don't like the sound are always the loudest vs those that love them, nature of the parts game. If a sound has resonance, it is deep, clear, and strong vs drone which makes make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz, (sometimes actually ear splitting with slight pain). Some may be confusing the two sounds, maybe not. :shrug: Others say their exhaust catback setup sounds like stock until WOT and then sounds like a banshee. I prefer and an exhaust I can hear at any RPM range vs my infrequent use of the accelerator at WOT, only a preference.

If you are having second thoughts I would be a buyer of another set of used CJPP axle backs know to have drone and very difficult to install as reported by a few, pm me a price if you want to sell. :cheers:
I see what you're saying. And personally I'm only below 2100 for a second or so when starting up. I usually cruise at 2500-2700. It would just suck to go from being tired of hearing almost nothing from my stock exhaust to hearing some sort of nagging drone from these. I think tomorrow, just so I have a plan B, I'm going to call around and see what a welder would want to reattach the stock mufflers. That'll give me some peace of mind that, if when I install them Friday they aren't what I want, I can return to stock with a phone call.

I did look at the reviews on multiple sites before buying. But I tend to trust experiences from people I've seen talk before (on here) vs. complete strangers. Thanks though.

Sponsored

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go for it! The rpm range doesn't make a difference with my car, (auto w/3.55 gears, oem resonator, no-drone0. :) With the h-pipe it had slight drone which didn't bother that me much, just to loud in the cabin at any rpm range. Although it sounded really nice outside the car.
That's what I'm excited for....to hear that throaty growl that does the engine justice!!...instead of a froggy gerbil. Hoping we can still have normal conversations with windows up though and not shouting matches.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Even at 110 km/h, you are still in that 2100+ range.

I agree with you that the car lugs when it falls below 2000 rpms and I'll downshift into 5th to avoid that.
I have the Magnaflow Competition axle-back and Magnaflows are known to drone and I have none but as I said I also avoid low rpm's.

If I'm on the hi-way I'll either downshift or increase my speed to stay above the "drone range".

Even if I'm at that low of an rpm it's very minor so perhaps the Magnaflows are better than these unbranded mufflers in that regard. :shrug:

Having said all of that, I just received a Steeda h-pipe so will see how that pans out.

Reactions: A7X

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In another conversation the issue of gearing came up. Does gearing have anything to do with drone for exhausts in general...maybe it's been seen elsewhere that certain exhausts don't drone with a given gearing but with a specific gearing it does. It was pointed out that those complaining of drone have 3.73 gearing.

Thoughts? Any science to back that up?

Thanks!
Sponsored