Chip Shortage to Last Until Late 2022

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
My buddy in LI just sold his mothers 2000 Honda Accord for $2900!
Yeah I sold mine for close to that and it was a 2002 I believe with 167k miles. So I'm one of those crazies too šŸ˜‚ but hey why not? Selling is good but buying NO :)
Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
They are confirmed. I'm not holding my breath for EVGA GPU's though. I've been doing very well with Powercolor Red Devil's, both my 5700XT and 6900XT. If I need a new card for any reason, I'll buy another devil for sure.
I kind of wished I got a 6800XT. I'm having some quirks with my 3080 and 5600x.

EVGA is saying that AMD/NVIDIA is aware of them and are supposedly working on a fix. It does feel frustrating though since my 1080Ti had no problems but my new $1,000 card does.

Milktasd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 cobra, 2000 Sonoma LSx, 2021 velocity blue gt
What did you get? This is my current situation. I only have an old gaming laptop from 2014. I am trying to build a desktop PC but the card is causing the delay. Im trying to go all out and get a 6900 XT. Been on trying to get one from AMD with no success. Was hoping for prices to come down but its now or never. I am going to try one more time this week before I just bend over and spread my cheeks šŸ¤¤

Warhammer 3, and Company of Heroes 3 are coming out. I can barely play Hearts of Iron IV as is, it lags hard midway through the campaign because my laptop cant keep up with the units on screen. I want to get a PC and slowly transition my laptop to a Surface Pro or a tablet for college.
I wanted to build a gaming pc earlier this year and couldnā€™t find any video cards for close to normal prices. So I ended up just buying a gaming pc through dell that was priced decent to be able to play VR. Came with a 3060, so double the cost of a the going rate for the card I got a whole pc lol.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I wanted to build a gaming pc earlier this year and couldnā€™t find any video cards for close to normal prices. So I ended up just buying a gaming pc through dell that was priced decent to be able to play VR. Came with a 3060, so double the cost of a the going rate for the card I got a whole pc lol.
My PC is due for a refresh, and that isn't happening any time soon. It would be $10K to build something better.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

EVGA is saying that AMD/NVIDIA is aware of them and are supposedly working on a fix. It does feel frustrating though since my 1080Ti had no problems but my new $1,000 card does.
What a circle jerk that hobby is.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
This definitely plays in my favor. I bought a 2007 Porsche 911 Targa 4 in May as I've been wanting one for such a long time. My plan was to drive both 911 and my GT and then decide which one I would sell. I never expected the market to get so crazy for these cars.

And let me tell you, it's not an easy decision lol...

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
My PC is due for a refresh, and that isn't happening any time soon. It would be $10K to build something better.
$10k? LMAO dude, what are you trying to build šŸ¤£ Certainty not for gaming

I just ordered all of my parts, and doing a mini-itx build, it was ~$4,300 for everyone, and alot of that was because I was starting from scratch didn't have anything like a monitor, computer desk etc. Would have been alot cheaper if I already had the stuff

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are confirmed. I'm not holding my breath for EVGA GPU's though. I've been doing very well with Powercolor Red Devil's, both my 5700XT and 6900XT. If I need a new card for any reason, I'll buy another devil for sure.
Was about to ask you what kind of 6900 XT you got. I got a Red Devil myself, I see you are also a man of culture :wink:

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$10k? LMAO dude, what are you trying to build šŸ¤£ Certainty not for gaming

I just ordered all of my parts, and doing a mini-itx build, it was ~$4,300 for everyone, and alot of that was because I was starting from scratch didn't have anything like a monitor, computer desk etc. Would have been alot cheaper if I already had the stuff
Photography and 8K video

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I had the same problem last year, was expecting things to be better this year and sadly they weren't so I just had to bend over and take it. I was going to do a pre-built too but thankfully I have a friend who is very good with tech that is helping me out building one. It would be cheaper if I got the graphic card for MSRP, but basically what I paid is the cost of what it would be to get a 3070 pre-built PC. Can only imagine the cost of a pre-built 3090 or 6900 XT

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
From stuff I've read, the supply shortage could last up to a decade (when considering growth and demand projections and across all consumers). Meaning there could be disruptions across all chip consumers to varying degrees for the next decade. Of course, the market tends to squeeze out the most optimal response (recycling chips and boards for lower end applications, consolidating stuff to get more efficient, etc).

This is truly one of those classic markets/industries with significant barriers to entry/exit.

It's not like we can all recognize the demand and shortage and just run out and start our own chip manufacturing business (or can we?.........). I wouldn't be surprised to see crazy things like "we'll buy your cell phone back from you for $XXX) and seeing component designers revise stuff to take advantage of whatever chips recycles there are available. I realize some of that stuff already goes on, but if we're talking about saving $200 on the cost of the latest phone production or selling it to GM/Ford/Toyota so they can actually sell a $40k vehicle, the economics start to get interesting.

Yes, I know there's geek stuff involved and it's not that simple, but my point is, where there's pressure, inventiveness finds new and interesting solutions to ease it.

Cue the "I no longer steel catalytic converters, I steel ECU's and infotainment modules" phenomena.

And here those of us that are old enough to remember thought the days of smashed windows and stolen radios were gone.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

What problems?

Also on topic, this is just the new normal I guess. MIcrochips are one of the most advanced things our species has ever created, and there's a lot of little things that you need to be perfect, requiring expensive tooling, expensive factories, and very smart people.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
What problems?

Also on topic, this is just the new normal I guess. MIcrochips are one of the most advanced things our species has ever created, and there's a lot of little things that you need to be perfect, requiring expensive tooling, expensive factories, and very smart people.
The country that controls chip manufacturing has a stranglehold on the world economy. Whatever country it turns out to be.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks, blaming this "chip shortage" on Covid is nothing more than a global plot to keep the fact that aliens sell us the microchip tech. You see, we are past due on a payment per the contract and we have been blowing off the collections calls. We haven't even opened up the letters they keep sending. So now they have finally cut us off and we are trying to back engineer the chips, but are having difficulty.

Do you really think a bunch of hairless apes would have ever come up with that shit on our own? Ha!
Sponsored