Checking the oil with a strut tower brace

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
My car didn't come from the factory with a strut tower brace. So I installed one along with the necessary additional members to stiffen the front.

Anyway, now it's a giant pain to check the oil. I have to wiggle the dipstick out between the V-shaped gap between the strut tower brace and the firewall brace, then wiggle it back in. By the I've gotten oil all over the place.

So what gives? Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is?
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
thats the way it is.. i check a few times to make sure as you do have to bend it all over.. you would essentially have to remove the strut bar and engine cover to get it straight..

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Dude... it isn't even remotely an issue. Do I have to make a video? I mean... I've changed the oil on these cars about 100 times now.

Sure, the brace being there is annoying, but deal with it. Be happy your AC works or your steering rack doesn't need replacing or your transmission hasn't pooped out like others.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Dude... it isn't even remotely an issue. Do I have to make a video? I mean... I've changed the oil on these cars about 100 times now.

Sure, the brace being there is annoying, but deal with it. Be happy your AC works or your steering rack doesn't need replacing or your transmission hasn't pooped out like others.
i dont think anyone was making a big deal out of it.. you just have to bend the dip stick.. youre the one coming in here all high and mighty with your dip stick mastery...

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
lol ok. Easy folks...

I just find it annoying is all. Just about as annoying as how easy the gas door can be taken off, or the fact that there's a hood strut to hold the hood up. No it's NOT "hard", but I do laugh a bit when I discover things like this about the car for the first time. I've had this car exactly 6 months, and the strut tower brace for exactly 1, so I'm finding stuff still that make me wonder what they were thinking when they designed the car.

Maybe I'm getting grouchy now that I'm square in my 40's - who knows, but every small block I've ever worked on over the years you can walk up in the dark with nothing but the hood light to guide you (which by the way this doesn't have from the factory) and with one hand with a few beers in you slide the dipstick out, wipe it down, slide it back in, then out again and check the oil. You don't have to lean over the driver's side, and fiddle with the angle coming out, then guide it to the dipstick tube with the other hand, blah blah blah like some kind of roadside sobriety test.

I also figured this may get a laugh from some of the older people that have worked on enough cars over the years to get what I mean. Guess not.

Anyway, since there's so many of these cars on the road with strut tower braces and newer dipsticks generally snap in like this one I also figured maybe there's something I wasn't aware of now that I've installed this thing. If that's the way it is, then fine. I'll quit whining about it.

Last edited:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
That's the way it is. Bend the stick toward the front of the car as you pull it out.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
lol ok. Easy folks...

I just find it annoying is all. Just about as annoying as how easy the gas door can be taken off, or the fact that there's a hood strut to hold the hood up. No it's "hard", but I do laugh a bit when I discover things like this about the car for the first time. I've had this car exactly 6 months, and the strut tower brace for exactly 1, so I'm finding stuff still that make me wonder what they were thinking when they designed the car.

Maybe I'm getting grouchy now that I'm square in my 40's - who knows, but every small block I've ever worked on over the years you can walk up in the dark with nothing but the hood light to guide you (which by the way this doesn't have from the factory) and with one hand with a few beers in you slide the dipstick out, wipe it down, slide it back in, then out again and check the oil. You don't have to lean over the driver's side, and fiddle with the angle coming out, then guide it to the dipstick tube with the other hand, blah blah blah like some kind of roadside sobriety test.

I also figured this may get a laugh from some of the older people that have worked on enough cars over the years to get what I mean. Guess not.

Anyway, since there's so many of these cars on the road with strut tower braces and newer dipsticks generally snap in like this one I also figured maybe there's something I wasn't aware of now that I've installed this thing. If that's the way it is, then fine. I'll quit whining about it.

lol ya.. i think the dipstick was designed before someone put on the bracing stuff for the PP.. Did it on my 16 and my 18 now and doesnt seem to have any ill affects from bending.. but i wish they put a light in there so i can see better as i normally check mine at night lol..but my new garage light has made it easier

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
My car didn't come from the factory with a strut tower brace. So I installed one along with the necessary additional members to stiffen the front.

Anyway, now it's a giant pain to check the oil. I have to wiggle the dipstick out between the V-shaped gap between the strut tower brace and the firewall brace, then wiggle it back in. By the I've gotten oil all over the place.

So what gives? Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is?
The sound tube parts don't help either, but yeah, pulling it out towards the front is easier than towards the back.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
It's real simple to do OP. Just use two hands when inserting and removing the oil dipstick so it doesn't hit against anything in the engine bay and throw off the oil level reading.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
It's real simple to do OP. Just use two hands when inserting and removing the oil dipstick so it doesn't hit against anything in the engine bay and throw off the oil level reading.
Yep. I know it’s simple. Just annoying. And if you’re impatient by nature you’re in trouble with a bent-in-half dipstick.

I’m definitely going to install the hood light. Oh and the sound tube. THAT’s what thing is?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I know it’s simple. Just annoying. And if you’re impatient by nature you’re in trouble with a bent-in-half dipstick.

I’m definitely going to install the hood light. Oh and the sound tube. THAT’s what thing is?
I believe the sound tube directs engine noise into the cabin. Rip that shit out and put a cap on the intake tube and firewall.
Sponsored