Sponsored

Cheap windows laptop

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap laptop to use for data logging with SCT? TIA!
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I've always had luck at the Lenovo outlet site. I've purchased from there for over a decade.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/laptops/

Not sure your definition of "cheap" or your requirements but the cheapest Windows laptop they have is $188.

I purchased a ThinkBook from there last year for around $460 to run Linux and Windows 11 to test/play around. Works great.

Other companies have outlet sites as well (Dell, etc.). I purchase from Lenovo since they also have a good veteran discount on top of their regular discounts.

Cheaper than that maybe ebay or a local online place. Maybe even goodwill.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've always had luck at the Lenovo outlet site. I've purchased from there for over a decade.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/laptops/

Not sure your definition of "cheap" or your requirements but the cheapest Windows laptop they have is $188.

I purchased a ThinkBook from there last year for around $460 to run Linux and Windows 11 to test/play around. Works great.

Other companies have outlet sites as well (Dell, etc.). I purchase from Lenovo since they also have a good veteran discount on top of their regular discounts.

Cheaper than that maybe ebay or a local online place. Maybe even goodwill.
I mean cheap as long as it does the job, lol. It’s the only thing I’ll be using it for so I don’t want to blow a whole lot of cash on it.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I mean cheap as long as it does the job, lol. It’s the only thing I’ll be using it for so I don’t want to blow a whole lot of cash on it.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.
Just wanted to chime in here with some generic advice. Main point, don't get the cheapest new laptop, get the step above. I know you only need it for SCT, but the cheapest ones are never really enough for just Windows 10 or 11, let alone what you want to do with the machine. Look at a few listings, copy paste the cpu model name/number and "cpu benchmark" into google and compare on the passmark cpu benchmark site, you'll see those numbers go way up even when you just go a bit more. You don't need the moon, but trust me, you'll feel it if you go super super cheap, so just be a little less cheap.

Anything with less than 8GB RAM is not going to be pleasant to work on, but more than 16GB would be unnecessary for you.

For disclosure, I'm an IT pro who personally runs 8-12 year old free PCs. I sometimes repair/upgrade/recover data for clients "broken" PCs they give me their old one when they buy a new one, which I fix, upgrade and reuse for another decade. I will not purchase a complete one new, only parts as needed. I'm a very cheap person in this area. My company learned the hard way on buying bottom grade, a few years ago we had to go 1 step up from J series processors to i3s, 4GB to 8GB RAM and has to have a SSD minimum. Many common issues went away immediately after we got those out 100%, leaving us available to fix real problems instead of chasing issues caused by not enough resources.

Said 8-12 year old PCs must have 4 cores, 8GB RAM and a SSD minimum or I won't use them, not even for TV show watching purposes. I have VASTLY more patience with computers than most people, and anything slower is just completely frustrating to me with Windows 10 or 11. Unless you are more patient than me (I doubt it), you will really regret the lowest rung, just go the next step up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to chime in here with some generic advice. Main point, don't get the cheapest new laptop, get the step above. I know you only need it for SCT, but the cheapest ones are never really enough for just Windows 10 or 11, let alone what you want to do with the machine. Look at a few listings, copy paste the cpu model name/number and "cpu benchmark" into google and compare on the passmark cpu benchmark site, you'll see those numbers go way up even when you just go a bit more. You don't need the moon, but trust me, you'll feel it if you go super super cheap, so just be a little less cheap.

Anything with less than 8GB RAM is not going to be pleasant to work on, but more than 16GB would be unnecessary for you.

For disclosure, I'm an IT pro who personally runs 8-12 year old free PCs. I sometimes repair/upgrade/recover data for clients "broken" PCs they give me their old one when they buy a new one, which I fix, upgrade and reuse for another decade. I will not purchase a complete one new, only parts as needed. I'm a very cheap person in this area. My company learned the hard way on buying bottom grade, a few years ago we had to go 1 step up from J series processors to i3s, 4GB to 8GB RAM and has to have a SSD minimum. Many common issues went away immediately after we got those out 100%, leaving us available to fix real problems instead of chasing issues caused by not enough resources.

Said 8-12 year old PCs must have 4 cores, 8GB RAM and a SSD minimum or I won't use them, not even for TV show watching purposes. I have VASTLY more patience with computers than most people, and anything slower is just completely frustrating to me with Windows 10 or 11. Unless you are more patient than me (I doubt it), you will really regret the lowest rung, just go the next step up.

Yup! I stayed away from flash memory, low core count, and actually got a windows based laptop. i5 with 8gb of memory as it’s only for tuning/data logging. Wasn’t sure how Ryzen played with the SCT firmware so I went Intel.

Have a 6950xt, 7900x 3D , and 64 gb of 5000mhz ram for home use I built for work/gaming.

Thanks for you input!

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I haven't bought a new laptop in at least 10 years. Do these Lenovo outlet models allow you to plug in a large screen monitor? I just need something to display lap count/times for my slot car track. It doesn't even need internet connection. It uses one comm port and runs one windows program... period. The laptop screen is too small and my laptop doesn't have any way to connect a screen. I have been using this laptop for 2 years and it's old and the battery is dead. But the price was right... free!

P1020092.jpg

Last edited:

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Good lesson here, look at post dates... lol

Good to hear you heeded my advice (you know, the advice you didn't have at the time), sounds like you did good on the laptop. I5 and 8GB with proper SSD will be plenty. Ryzens are quite nice, usually more cost effective these days for performance vs Intel, I use one for my work laptop, but also understand playing it safe compatibility wise. Nice home PC!

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good lesson here, look at post dates... lol

Good to hear you heeded my advice (you know, the advice you didn't have at the time), sounds like you did good on the laptop. I5 and 8GB with proper SSD will be plenty. Ryzens are quite nice, usually more cost effective these days for performance vs Intel, I use one for my work laptop, but also understand playing it safe compatibility wise. Nice home PC!
Thanks! Yeah I would have gone Ryzen otherwise as AMD has come a long away. Their price to performance is really good.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I haven't bought a new laptop in at least 10 years. Do these Lenovo outlet models allow you to plug in a large screen monitor? I just need something to display lap count/times for my slot car track. The laptop screen is too small and my laptop doesn't have any way to connect a screen.

P1020092.jpg
You can get a USB device that will let you plug in an external display. Be careful of the cheaper usb c ones, we found out that the ones that are part of a usb hub do not necessarily have the chip for graphics in them, and not all manufacturers adhere to the standard that makes them work without it. Never had that problem with the standard A plug ones that are just HDMI, though we also recommend against these for our users at work. They can be a bit laggy, but that would likely be just fine for your use case.

Shoot, edit to add an answer. They usually do, but make sure you see the HDMI or DisplayPort in the spec list under external ports or in the pic at minimum.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Thanks! Yeah I would have gone Ryzen otherwise as AMD has come a long away. Their price to performance is really good.
Long time AMD fan, until Ryzen it was not because they were the better option. Just like them better as a company, and they were cheaper back in the day but not as powerful. Today, both qualities are true!đź‘Ť

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You can get a USB device that will let you plug in an external display. Be careful of the cheaper usb c ones, we found out that the ones that are part of a usb hub do not necessarily have the chip for graphics in them, and not all manufacturers adhere to the standard that makes them work without it. Never had that problem with the standard A plug ones that are just HDMI, though we also recommend against these for our users at work. They can be a bit laggy, but that would likely be just fine for your use case.

Shoot, edit to add an answer. They usually do, but make sure you see the HDMI or DisplayPort in the spec list under external ports or in the pic at minimum.
Thanks, this laptop doesn't have an HDMI connector. It has an external 15 pin connector.... I don't know what that's for.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Thanks, this laptop doesn't have an HDMI connector. It has an external 15 pin connector.... I don't know what that's for.
That's sounds like VGA, also display. Use that, but your screen might need a VGA to HDMI adapter to make work if it's a newer screen without that port.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
If this is the port, then its VGA.

20230730_105237.jpg

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That's sounds like VGA, also display. Use that, but your screen might need a VGA to HDMI adapter to make work if it's a newer screen without that port.
I haven't bought a large screen monitor yet. I was planning on doing that after I redid the track.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I haven't bought a large screen monitor yet. I was planning on doing that after I redid the track.
Ah I would say make sure whatever you choose has VGA, but by and large new screens just won't have vga, so you'll be wanting one of those adapters most likely.
Sponsored