Sponsored

Changes with buying parts from the US

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Damn. Bit late now. Bloody brexit has screwed us over in yet another way! Getting quite tempted to emigrate to Scotland now and await them gaining independence from Brexit Britain, then rejoin the EU to regain my European citizenship.
weather is pish here, stay south. Mind you, we do have some cracking roads.. You could just move to Europe, be quicker :)
Sponsored

dpollard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt in Shadow Black
Thought this VAT collected by seller was already a factor for Non EU countries selling to UK?

The only change is it now effects countries in the EU selling to the UK.

I always thought it was why so many US companies don't sell direct to UK already (Pre Brexit).
As someone who owns a company that buys a fair number of 'small purchases' from stores in the states, this is what I've found to be the case. Regardless of cost (£40 - £1000's), I've found that the sale has local tax applied and then when it arrives in the UK it gets held by customs and I pay the tax due and it is released.

The ball ache (which is nothing to do with Brexit) is when I'm trying to get priority shipping - including pre-paying VAT - and customs declare that the wrong amount has been applied (usually due to the £-$ exchange rate changing) and then having the package delayed whilst I pay the difference - plus the standard £17.50 handling fee / tax / pure profit.

The real kick is when DHL (and it nearly is always them) say that my $14 part needs the £6.50 tax applied because it's value including expedite post was $34 and here's a £17.50 admin fee - and four day delay for processing.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is why all those cheap eBay items from China are marked as a gift, people would just refuse the item if they're charged £8 processing fee on a £1 cable.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have no problem with import taxes per se. That's business as usual.
However, requesting the sender to collect those taxes on behalf of the recipient's government is stupid to say the least. That must be the most absurd thing I've ever heard of.

But why does this affect EU companies? I thought the agreement EU and UK finally reached
included the free circulation of goods. Have I misunderstood that?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
However, requesting the sender to collect those taxes on behalf of the recipient's government is stupid to say the least. That must be the most absurd thing I've ever heard of.

But why does this affect EU companies? I thought the agreement EU and UK finally reached
included the free circulation of goods. Have I misunderstood that?
The devil of the deal is in the detail and some of those details are not what some people were expecting ! UK gov imposed VAT rules on imports being one of them !

The deal is NOT a free trade deal but a negotiated trade deal - very different

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I see. I thought it was something akin to what Switzerland and Norway have. I hadn't read all the details.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
That's the EU protection racket.
Make buying from outside as punitive & inconvenient as possible.
But don't make it blatantly obvious.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
That's the EU protection racket.
Make buying from outside as punitive & inconvenient as possible.
But don't make it blatantly obvious.
Nothing to do with the EU - the UK is no longer in the EU!

It is a trade deal negotiated between EU and UK and the UK decided to impose UK VAT registration on anybody wanting to send goods to the UK. The rules apply to EU members too so not a protection racket they want !

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I see. I thought it was something akin to what Switzerland and Norway have. I hadn't read all the details.
Nor have many - it is 2000 pages long and only just released. Nothing like Norway as that has access to the free market. More like Canada

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
https://internetretailing.net/opera...r-ecommerce-and-multichannel-retailers--22496

It's articles like these that gave me the impression that the trade between EU and UK will remain unchanged. But I guess phrases like "zero-tariff" and "free-trade" refer exclusively to customs fees, but not to VAT, right?
It is far from simple.

There are trade agreements for most things but also this is linked to standards. Both sides can impose tariffs if the other strays too far from their own standards. This includes government support. VAT is not included in this and never was, just the way it is implemented is changing as a result of the UK government - how long it will last is anybody's guess but going by our current government probably till the end of the week !
Sponsored