Ceramic Coatings - when to renew?

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
I gave my GT the Gtechniq TSP treatment 16 months ago (EXOv2 Ultra Durable Hybrid Coating + C1 Crystal Lacquer).
I'm just wondering how long any others on here (who've had it done) have gone before renewing theirs.
It seems like a year and a half might be a good point? Beading is okay (as pix show), but not nearly as good as initially, IMO - little run off.

Views?

PS Any tried Auto finesse Aqua Coat? I wonder if it would be compatible with the Gtechniq coating as a 'top up', so to speak

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg
Sponsored

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I had my ceramic coat applied when I collected my car in April 17 by www.flawlessdetailing.co.uk in Coventry and they used GYEON products. I was told it will last for at least 5 years and there is a maintenance product I use from them every 4th wash. Basically that is a different shampoo and then a spray on product after rinsing then final wipe with micro fibre cloth. My car is Race Red and the paintwork has such a high gloss with no swirls etc and it stays clean for weeks on end (the rain actually washes the car) other than the wheels and lower body areas obviously. Best to ask your product supplier for maintenance advice.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It depends on which one you had. They all last different lengths of time.

I've had my GTechniq (can never remember which one) for almost 2 years now and it's definitely past it's best.

It still cleans up fantastically and really easily, but the beading effect when it's raining is noticeably diminished.

I'll have to have a dig through my build thread to try and find which one it was.

OP
OP
Maoilearca

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
I think we had same treatment - from BasingstokeCardetailing

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite/Exo done in April 2016 and it seems fine though my car is/has been largely a fair weather/weekend driver so far. It supposedly comes with a 5 year warranty but as people will tell you there are many conditions you need to stick to to maintain the cover, such as yearly checks with your detailer etc. Which I haven't done...
I don't expect it to last 5 years.

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
I had Gtecniq crystal Serum light plus Exo applied when new and once registered has a 5 year guarantee, there is also a 7 year guarantee product. I was reminded direct from Gtecniq when the annual inspection was due and booked it in with my detailer. He went through all stages of decontamination, washing drying and then checking for correct beading. Two small areas were retreated and car returned good as new. All for the bargain price of Ā£30 labour.
I'll certainly be doing this every year to protect my guarantee and initial outlay.

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
Not sure i am convinced with this ceramic malarkey ?? Is it just a bit of over priced gimmick? Its nothing new...the dealers were selling you a package 10 yrs ago..!

I have clay barred various hot rods and cars over the years and to be honest not sure i can see any difference between using a good routine with some good quality polishes and waxes..

The quality of the paint on my last one was the best i have ever seen on ANY car.. had so many car nuts come up and ask about it. but this was down initially to the guy who painted it...one of the top sprayers in the country! :first:

A regular wipe over with some Lucas detailer, and that was all it needed. See for yourself !
Taking delivery of my car after Xmas so i am interested and open minded..:shrug:

37256232844_cdeb608dbb_b.jpg
13118951_10154250387565962_7973254106049671335_n by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156857217@N06/, on Flickr

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There was a comment from a friend of mine who's a detailer. He told me "ceramic coatings are bullshit". However that's purely down to the there being nothing ceramic in it, it's just a brand name. They're "long lasting waxes and sealants" i think was his phrase for them.

So in this case, yes, a "ceramic" coating will eventually wear off due to general use of the car, more water, wind etc on the car.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the gtechniq and gyeon stuff are actually sio2 (think thats the compound) which is a ceramic but its a multistage and bake system the main advantage over just good quality polishes and waxes are they take less maintenance than a wax/polish and you don't need to clay as often.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Mine, when I asked, is said to last 2 to 3 years tops. The coater was open about it and said as much as above; it'll last as long as long wax would (and a bit more). That's all it really is.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
this is after 14 months just touch it up once a month with the wet coat
IMG_20171207_205843.jpg
Sponsored