Sponsored

Ceramic leather

Zwerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Volvo XC60
Hi,

I’m about to order a new GT and quite fancy the ceramic leather seats. However, I read a couple of reports that they stain easily just from normal use, eg developing a blue tinge after wearing jeans.

Does anyone here have experience of the ceramic leather, and could feedback on what it is like to live with please ?

Many thanks
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It's refered to as "dye transfer".
Where the indigo dye in denim, transfers to the leather.

Not OEM specific, in my experience.
I had it with a VW.

It's the reason I will avoid light coloured leather seats, until I stop wearing jeans.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I had/have ceramic in both my 15 & 19 GT. Never had any issues with stains. I did treat my seats with lexol. Not sure if it’s helps or not.

WarMachine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 10R80 Iconic Silver
Hi,

I’m about to order a new GT and quite fancy the ceramic leather seats. However, I read a couple of reports that they stain easily just from normal use, eg developing a blue tinge after wearing jeans.

Does anyone here have experience of the ceramic leather, and could feedback on what it is like to live with please ?

Many thanks
I had it in my previous mustang it was a white on white or ceramic interior ecoboost with black strips. I personally think it looks nice. The up keep was not that bad honestly if you take care of the leather and apply some good product it should come out I used Lexol deep leather cleaner and it was fine. Leased the car for 3 years and the leather was still the ceramic color. But yes blue jeans will transfer on to any light colored leather. You just have to make sure you clean it and dont let the stain bake in.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have a Jaguar XE with light colored leather. The key is cleaning and protecting it every few months to keep it looking good.

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

I would also caution the use of leather Ceramic coatings. These seal up the leather and prevent it from breathing. Now I know most of the leather trim is synthetic, but you don't really want to be treating different parts of the seats differently. Most leather cleaners and conditioners are designed for multi-material application.

Sponsored

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
I have a 2016 GT with ceramic leather that I have had from new.

Yes I can confirm that wearing Blue jeans does cause the drivers right bolster to mark and stain with blue however the remainder of the seats does not mark as much. For a few years i was using autoglym leather cleaner a few times a year to clean of which worked fine and over the last 15 odd months I have now switched and am using Yum products and the interior cleaner works quite well.

When I ordered the car i was torn between black and the ceramic but glad i went with the ceramic. 5 years old now and still looks pretty good for its age.

OP
OP

Zwerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Volvo XC60
Thanks all, that’s really useful feedback. I’m going to stick with the ceramic but appreciate it will need a bit more care to keep it looking tip top !

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's pics of my 2018's Ceramic Leather driver seat and with current mileage just over 38k. No issues with "wear".

Center of seat will have typical wrinkles from use - very common with any leather seat. I posted a thread in the DIY sub forum on how to remove wrinkles if that's a bother to some folks.

As far as cleaning, I've been using Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Leather cleaner/conditioner. Apply product to seats, let sit for about 1-2 mins, then wipe/rub into leather with a clean microfiber.

EDFF663C-B129-40C8-92C3-9CA5D87B7D7E.jpeg
P
Sponsored