Sponsored

Ceramic coating process

2015RS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1
So I'm about to turn in my daily driver lease Kia and will be driving the mustang full time so I want to ceramic coat it for protection first. I ordered this kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0785VMQMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have been watching vids on how the prep process works but want to hear from those who have done it. I bought this kit and also the Q2M prep...do I really need all of the other products for a good result? So I guess I wash the car, then clay bar, then polish (like Mothers quick detailer? Or full-on wax?) then Q2M prep, then apply the coating? Is that the right order? Car will be able to stay garaged the whole time I'm doing this for several days. Any instructions would be helpful, I have 300 miles left to drive the Kia so want to get it done. Thanks!
Sponsored

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
Applying a coating isn’t as difficult as some make it out to be, if you are careful and take your time. The kit you’ve picked is a good one and I would modify your process you have listed a little. I’ve coated a few vehicles over the last year and here is how I would adjust it.
Wash the car first with a quality shampoo, clay bar if necessary, then polish the car if you want to remove any minor scratches or swirls (with a polisher and compound or something alike). After this you’ll want to remove all left over oil and dusting from polishing via something like Gyeon Prep or a make shift IPA/water mix. After thats peeped and stripped your ready to apply a coating, don’t apply a wax before coating. You want the paint to be bare before applying a coating. Most coatings you’ll want to keep dry for the first 24 hours and let cure for 5-7 days before a wash, also if you really want to apply a wax you can on some after the coating has cured. Hope this helps, again take your time and be careful and you’ll be good. One pointer is look over the paint from multiple angels when wiping off the coating as you want to make sure to remove it all before it dries otherwise it’ll leave minor marks that require a polisher to remove.

Happy to help, best of luck!

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I can fully recommend ceramic coating over here in the UK we tend to get it done by a vehicle detailer who corrects all paint defects before application but anyway I use my Mustang daily all year round and after 18 months the car still looks better than brand new and even if I don’t wash it for a month it still looks pretty clean - please bear in mind you have to clean the car carefully so as not to damage the ceramic coat with swirl marks etc

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
The prep all depends on how bad the paint is to begin with. You need to have the paint as perfect as you can prior to coating. Once it's coated, paint correction requires removal of the coating.

My experience coating vehicles is using the Jax Wax 9h kit, which includes all the applicators and Shield Prep spray, which removes all the oils and such prior to coating. The "flash" time of the coating is also dependant on the temperature and humity, so you might want to do a small section before coating the whole car, so see how quick you need to wipe it down.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
IMO if you think polish refers to a wax or quick detailer then you shouldn’t be trying to apply a coating, it’s likely to end poorly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015RS1

2015RS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1
I actually did, but I know the difference now and I just bought a polisher and polish. Thanks for the help everybody and I'm going to do it soon...I don't put the coating on the black decklid too do I? I wouldn't think so but just checking.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Applying the coating is the easiest part - the polishing or "correction" is 90% of the job. Take your time there, and really work to perfect the finish as much as you can. Plan to do at least two stages (coarse/fine. cut/polish, whatever you want to call it). I applied my coating to the black decklid and the taillights and they both look terrific, but follow the instructions for your coating.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
It is very important to know your coating and how to work with it. All products are different. Drpending on weather,humidity, inside or outside will vary your working ability. I have used 4 differrnt coatings this year on customer cars, everyone acted different. Tricky part is timing on removing the flash over with out getting high spots from drying and not removing the coating by doing it to soon.

SAWerks50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The prepwork prior to coating application is very important. The coated surface will only be as good as the polishing completed beforehand. Depending on the current condition of the paint, a 1 or 2 step correction should be completed. I attempt to get cars 90% plus corrected before coating. If you decide it needs further polishing afterwards, it's too late as the coating will need to be removed. Expect to spend 20-25 hours for this process, even on a new vehicle. The coating adds additional gloss but the biggest advantage is the incredible ease of maintenance.
Sponsored