CP-E.... the quality is top notch.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good question -

Anyone running the BBK down pipe?

I've always used BBK exhaust components with great success due to their overall quality and manufacturing process as far as fitment, materials, etc.

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
MRT catted

ranger11x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
Base auto s550 magnetic
Mishi catted DP bought it during the flash sale gotta say the work&fitment is impressive and its a DP its pretty much the same for everyone.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Good question -

Anyone running the BBK down pipe?

I've always used BBK exhaust components with great success due to their overall quality and manufacturing process as far as fitment, materials, etc.
Stay away from BBK. Those guys didn't give two shits when one of my group members bought their DP and had various questions about dyno/gains/etc. Their customer service was garbage (he showed us their responses to his questions; basically shrugged shoulders).

I'd go CP-E, Krona, or Mishi before them.

93tcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost mustang
I bought the catted mishimoto, its trash, set off codes. called mishi on it they said the cat is for looks and smell. such a bullcrap response. would not have bought it knowing that. there are others that don't throw codes.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I bought the catted mishimoto, its trash, set off codes. called mishi on it they said the cat is for looks and smell. such a bullcrap response. would not have bought it knowing that. there are others that don't throw codes.
try an o2 de-fouler

TheWildman

Jazz Master
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona EcoBoost Base (PP)

Get the code tuned out. #problemsolved

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang

Is this a joke. You realize any aftermarket high flow downpipe will set off codes if you're not running a tune for a highflow cat, even the best of the best. If it doesn't set off codes then it means it's flow is pretty much identical to your oem cat and not benefiting you. I don't know of any highflow cats that don't set off codes, if this is true, they must have built in defoulers, which just set back the o2 and tricks it into thinking the AF is less rich. If this is done your ECU is getting the wrong reading, and imo this is not the best route because if something does mess up, you have a "numb" and incorrect o2 reading so you won't know. If you want defoulers they're just a few bucks, most are just a 90 degree bend that goes into where the o2 sensor would go and then you plug your o2 into the end. Like I said, some of these other downpipes may have these built in if your claiming they don't set off codes or they simply aren't "highflow" and therefore not benefiting you.

These 200 cell highflow Catt are designed to be just on the brink of passing emissions. While your oem cat is designed to surpass that limit and place it in a better emissions bracket for new cars. Mishimoto designed a very good highflow Cat, that should just get you by emissions. However your car is simply not calibrated for it.

Again, doesn't mean mishimoto is shitty, just means they built a downpipe with o2 ports that will give you the true and actual reading. Which in my opinion is better. You can either tune it and have your ECU read the true reading and calibrate it to expect the richer condition therefore it will not throw a code, or buy a few dollar defoulers and basically have your ECU lied to and have it link it's running less rich than it truly is.

End of the day your ECU, like all ECU's is highly sensitive to changes in the AF ratios. There's a o2 sensor right before your cat and one right after the cat. Your ECU is highly sensitive to any changes and is calibrated to look for a very specific reading and compares both the readings for any irregularities. Plain and simple any change from oem cat will result in completely different reading on these o2 sensors.

Its not that mishimoto made a shitty catted downpipe, any true high flow downpipe that has true (non defouler) o2 ports will yield the same result. You must tune your ecu and calibrate it to the new high flow cat so it knows what to expect the o2 to read!

Lastly, mishimoto specifically states for their catted downpipe to run correctly it REQUIRES proper calibrations to your ECU. So before you go around bashing them you should do some research. They build a high quality downpipe.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't think de-foulers affect your a/f ratio and I'm also not sure that a higher flowing downpipe makes the a/f ratio richer.

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I don't think de-foulers affect your a/f ratio and I'm also not sure that a higher flowing downpipe makes the a/f ratio richer.

Your actual engine A/F ratio is completely unchanged. The defouler literally just pushes the o2 sensor back so the sensor is not in the flow of the exhaust and therefore is reading less rich. There's one right before the cat and one right after. The oem cat burns off way more than a high flow cat. If you have the defouler all it is doing is making the o2 "read" less rich after the cat. The cat doesn't effect your motors actual AF ratio in anyway, but if your have a high flow or cattless dp everything past that downpipe is more rich and that's what I'm talking about reading of rich. Maybe "AF" was the wrong terminology to use. But it's definitely reading more rich and no, the actual AF of the engine is uneffected. I'm talking about o2 reading past the Cat/downpipe which is independent of the motors AF.

Edit:

you had me second guessing my terminology so I looked it up. Looks like AF is lingo you can technically use when talking about o2 readings, like I said it's just reading the condition in your exhaust and reporting back to the ECU. If you have cattless dp your ECU will "think" it's running rich when really you just have a dp that isn't burning off anything. The actual a/f is unchanged.

I haven't had a long discussion with a tuner about this in a while but if I recall, at least for older cars, that if you're running a cattless dp and not properly tuned, your engine will think it's running really rich since it assumes you still have a working cat, therefore it may actually cut back a little fuel and can cause your engine to run in a lean condition to try to have the reading in the exhaust read out what it wants. Not 100 on this but you got me thinking about dp and catless affecting actual AF and again this is talking with a tuner years back, newer cars may be completely different animal in how they handle the o2 readings.

Normally the head of that o2 sensor is in the downpipe in the flow of the exhaust. The defouler is a simple metal tubing that makes it so the head of that is not in the flow of the exhaust therefore the o2 sensor does not read as rich. The real actual condition is unchanged, it's just that the o2 sensor is literally being placed in a way that it doesn't read the actual condition. Then it reports this false reading back to the ECU. I don't know what your missing with this or how I can spell this out any clearer. I never said that the defouler will change actual AF. It just reads it falsely. That's it.
Sponsored

Last edited: