Car and Driver: 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2016 Ford Mustang GT350

Discussion in 'Ford Mustang versus?' started by flaps, Feb 6, 2016.

1. flaps

flaps Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT
    0   0   0
  2. ssyellow

ssyellow Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
    0   0   0
    Nice to see the GT350 trap speed a little closer to 120, thats where I was hoping it would be prior to all these magazine reviews. On 91 octane, none the less.

3. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Good read! Shame it's skewed because of the bullshit ADM on the GT350 and the fact pretty much anyone can get supplier discount on the vette. It's pretty crazy they scored them the way they did, I honestly can't decide between the two exactly because of the price.

4. paul123

paul123 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '16 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    big difference in stopping power, and fuel economy, in favor of the Corvette :

Braking 70–0 MPH 149 feet 171 feet

17/29 mpg 14/21 mpg

5. ssyellow

ssyellow Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
    0   0   0
    If you read it they said they think they glazed the GT350 pads at a prior track day and another test they did had the GT350 around 150 feet if I remember correctly.

Can't beat the low RPM torque and cruising in high gear the C7 can do.

6. ridenfish39

ridenfish39 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT PP
    0   0   0
    Anyone buying a car like that should have fuel economy as the least of their concerns.

YoloBathsalts likes this.
  7. paul123

Vehicle(s):
    '16 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I confess to skipping to the end. I naively assumed that the metrics were absolute, but they can vary dramatically article by article. They should have put an asterisk by a number where they have damaged a component, in this case the brake pads

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
    Three great American turnarounds meet again to settle the score.
    Dec 2014

Braking 70–0 MPH 145 feet 151 feet 149 feet (Mustang GT PP)

8. paul123

Vehicle(s):
    '16 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    the low RPM torque definitely gets the Corvette off the line faster, but it starts to wheeze a little at higher RPMs

9. Blk2015GT

Blk2015GT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT
    0   0   0
    IDK anyone who is serious about cars who ever believed that the GT350 was built as a straight line car. CLEARLY it's power band is built for a road track where you keep speed up- midrange power. No accelerating from a standstill.

The Vette is also still over 300 pounds lighter. Considering the Z51 price as tested at $70k, it should have been vs the R which is $63-65ks.

Idk why these magazines just ignore relative pricing as if that's not the #1 factor for 99% of buyers.

10. CommyO

CommyO Is it a v8?

Vehicle(s):
    15 EB Premium PP
    0   0   0
    I'm sure the stingray wins in almost every category but I'd still take the 350 any day of the week. It's much more special

CompO2Slow likes this.
  11. Sasuketr

Sasuketr Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
    0   0   0
    This shows that the upcoming 1le camaro won't be a problem for the gt350. There is no way chevy is going to allow a camaro surpass their corvette. They say the lt1 is lazy revving but provides enough torque around the track, right gearing might help with that a little. If the gt350 was a little lighter the outcome would be totally different. The only problem Ford needs to solve is the weight! Once that is solved, then its game over for the chevy!

12. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    0   0   0
    Huh, I wonder why GM can't sell their 'vette for MSRP, but people are willing to pay over MSRP for the Ford? :shrug:

Yeah, I think they decided to compare these two cars for fun - even though you are right about the R being more appropriate to compare to the 'vette based on MSRP. You have to admit it's pretty difficult to find an R, but anyone who really wants one will probably be able to get a regular GT350.

I thought about the 'vette, but with the engine issues I was very reluctant. It made up my mind without even driving one. I do prefer the size of the 'vette and I think the 'vette is better looking than the current Mustang. However, GM's engines are bland IMO. Even if they don't blow up I just don't enjoy the way they produce power.

I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation 1LE is close to the GT350 in performance or even beating it. Unless it's totally hamstrung by new government regulations, it should be pretty quick. I would be very surprised if it wins in the fun to drive category, though.

13. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Because the vette sells the 350 annual figures every 2 months.

14. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    0   0   0
    High sales volume doesn't equal discounts unless demand is low at that price. Basically discounts mean that the cars sit on the lot if they are priced at MSRP. Not enough value for people to buy them. People just don't think the 'vette is worth MSRP.

On the other hand, people think the GT350 is worth more than MSRP. Doesn't matter how few Ford makes if people don't want one.

15. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Seeing as the sales of the vette haven't been this high since 07, I don't think it's for lack of demand. It's because the vette isn't a special model. The Z06 typically sees ADM still, even though those are much easier to find near MSRP.

16. 200MPHCOBRA

200MPHCOBRA Liberty Tree Needs Water

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 BOSS 302
    0   0   0
    Add 250 or so pounds to the vette and you have your 1LE. They should put 4.11's in the 2017 350's, and bump the rev limiter to compensate, I think it would do wonders for the car.

17. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    0   0   0
    It's a great car and I completely understand why a lot of people buy them. I'd love to have one some day, but the Mustang just keeps getting better. People just aren't willing to pay MSRP for a Corvette. That's all I'm saying. Dealers would 100% sell them at MSRP or more if they could. The dealers would like to make more money from the cars.

Most people just aren't willing to pay MSRP for them.

18. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I agree that the performance differences have been shrinking, and with the latest 350 (if you can get it for sub 60k) and SS, the corvette cost up is questionable. People paying above MSRP for SVT models is typical. I don't think the vette, GT, or any type of "base" car as such have ever held a long term ADM.

19. HiFi

HiFi Banned

Vehicle(s):
    G8GT
    0   0   0
    I've been looking at GTs and one of the big motivators is you can find the 41k loaded model for about 35 or 36k...significantly below msrp.

Stands to reason the gt350 only had ADM due to being new and limited production. Vette is on its 3rd year and they sell a ton of them, for a higher price.

Just calling it like I see it. Vette out performed the gt350 as expected, wish it was a gt350R.