Sponsored

GT350 Owner: Have you driven the Mach 1? Please provide your comparison to GT350

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
I suspect it’s the same auto blip tuning that the Bullitt came with. That wasn’t all that intrusive and actually a nice feature to have.
Sponsored

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
Boom!

I just test drove an automatic non-handling package Mach 1. Really had to go to verbal combat to achieve the high privilege of a no-obligation test drive.

Review coming shortly.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Boom!

I just test drove an automatic non-handling package Mach 1. Really had to go to verbal combat to achieve the high privilege of a no-obligation test drive.

Review coming shortly.
Watching!

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I had auto blip in a Nismo Z I had, honestly after a while I turned it off. Auto blip sort of took some fun out of driving.
Agreed, I don’t like it either. Test drove a 2020 PP2 with it last summer and hated it. Why don’t they just steer for you too. Lots of people love it though, you and I are definitely in the minority.

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
Mach 1 Test Drive Review
Automatic Transmission
Non-Handling Package

My background:
Former owner, 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible from new, automatic, no suspension upgrades, 19” wheel upgrade
Former owner, 2019 Shelby GT350 from new
Owner, 2020 Shelby GT350 from new. (I absolutely love this car and would heap endless praise upon it; I sold my 2018 Porsche 911 991.2 GT3 touring because I thought the Shelby for 1/3 the price was just as much fun on the road if not more fun.)
Owner and former owner of various Ferrari, Aston Martin, McLaren, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc etc both manual and automatic.

I was disappointed with my test drive of the Mach 1.

(1) Steering feel —Extremely disappointing. I drove it most of the time in sport steering mode. Plenty of power assist, felt like the steering in my regular Mustang GT. Not even close to the steering in the Shelby, which I think has just about the best power steering of any sports car in the world.
(2) Ride quality/ shock absorption - The car exhibited a very good ride, but there’s the rub. See (3) ahead. But the car didn’t feel as crisp and tight as the Shelby.
(3) Handling — The handling was, I would say, good. Maybe very good. But not special. Nothing to do with a Shelby. I expect excellence at this price point — especially given Ford’s marketing of the improvements made to this car and the actual improvements made. I’ve never driven a PP1 of PP2, but I doubt this is any better.
(4) Because of the steering and the lack of that crisp, tight feeling, I didn’t think the car felt very nimble. The Shelby GT350 feels fairly nimble for its heft even though it’s not a nimble or agile car per se like a Porsche 718 Cayman (I own a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 automatic).
(5) Automatic transmission seemed the same as in my 2019 GT - it does the trick, but a bit clunky. It wasn’t smooth, and no noticeable improvement from Ford’s transmission tuning was evident. Disappointed that it was not noticeably improved despite Ford’s marketing.
(6) Overall performance - This is a fast, great sounding, comfortable riding, serviceable handling, top of the line Mustang 5.0. Is it much different than a GT Premium with some boxes checked on the options list? I don’t think so.

(7) Concluding thoughts: I would now like to drive a Handling Package Mach 1. Problem is- there are very few ordered with it so unlikely to see one sitting around. Maybe the handling package with its upgrades to the steering and the suspension would make the car feel more like a Shelby. I can say for sure the Mach 1 without the handling package is NOT a bridge between a GT PP1/PP2 and a Shelby. It’s simply a nicely packaged top of the line Mustang 5.0. Would I buy this over a GT Premium with options? Sure I would because it’s a better deal when compared side by side and it’s a special edition model. But nobody who has a 5.0 PP1 or PP2 needs to feel bad - the car I drove is not a leap forward. Again, maybe the handling package variant brings the Shelby engineering into the picture and gives the car a much different feel. I spoke to a forum member on the phone this weekend and he said the handling package on his Mach 1 made a huge, huge difference in the performance and character of the car - and he has experience with both.

I must stress: PRESSURE the dealers to test drive these cars. These are glorified Mustangs. They aren’t GT2 RS Porsches. Ferrari sends test drive cars to circulate around its dealers and anybody off the street can drive a new model Roma or Portofino M before it is released and almost always if one is sitting in inventory. Anybody off the street can test drive a 911 Porsche or a base model McLaren. Want to drive a new BMW M5, AMG Mercedes E63S? No problem. I am not going to listen to a Ford dealer tell me they won’t test drive a Mach 1 — especially not when a loyal Ford owner is requesting. Let’s change the arrogant attitudes of so many of these Ford dealers together.

Ford: if you’re listening, you’ve done a terrible job here. This maybe a Seller’s market, but you know the other side of a Seller’s market, and it’s not fun. People remember when they are mistreated. People ought to be able to know what they’re buying before they buy it. Afraid the test drive won’t go well, as it did not for me? Here’s a solution- make a better product, or train dealer personnel to know what they are selling and segregate regular salespeople from the salespeople who are authorized to sell special edition cars. Send a memo to dealers stating that it is Ford’s intention to provide excellent customer service to current and prospective Ford owners and that no-obligation test drives of the Mach 1 are strongly encouraged. Try to act with the class that manufacturers of better and more expensive cars exhibit or you’ll be the same old Ford forever.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
So, in summary, you don't like Ford Dealers not allowing you to test drive the M1!

6-speed HP is the car to compare to GT350, right.

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So, in summary, you don't like Ford Dealers not allowing you to test drive the M1!

The transmission aspect isn’t relevant to me (despite the fact that I desire an automatic). Doesn’t change the performance attributes of the car. It may change the fun factor, but that isn’t being considered here.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I'd really like to see a true verified list of parts that are carried over from the GT350

IMO while the engine and transmission selected for the 350 was a big part of the story it isn't the whole thing.

If you search YT for the technical video from SVT performance showing Jamal and the Ford Performance team around 2015 with the introduction of GT350/GT350 R they go into detail of the time/$$ spent in the unique front suspension knuckle design for the 350. That front suspension design is IMO very key to the magic feel to the front end in the GT350 which from what I see on the Mach 1 does not have a similar front geometry.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Agree, I would like to understand what exactly this is?

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 7.16.23 PM.png

ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Mach 1 Test Drive Review
Automatic Transmission
Non-Handling Package

My background:
Former owner, 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible from new, automatic, no suspension upgrades, 19” wheel upgrade
Former owner, 2019 Shelby GT350 from new
Owner, 2020 Shelby GT350 from new. (I absolutely love this car and would heap endless praise upon it; I sold my 2018 Porsche 911 991.2 GT3 touring because I thought the Shelby for 1/3 the price was just as much fun on the road if not more fun.)
Owner and former owner of various Ferrari, Aston Martin, McLaren, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc etc both manual and automatic.

I was disappointed with my test drive of the Mach 1.

(1) Steering feel —Extremely disappointing. I drove it most of the time in sport steering mode. Plenty of power assist, felt like the steering in my regular Mustang GT. Not even close to the steering in the Shelby, which I think has just about the best power steering of any sports car in the world.
(2) Ride quality/ shock absorption - The car exhibited a very good ride, but there’s the rub. See (3) ahead. But the car didn’t feel as crisp and tight as the Shelby.
(3) Handling — The handling was, I would say, good. Maybe very good. But not special. Nothing to do with a Shelby. I expect excellence at this price point — especially given Ford’s marketing of the improvements made to this car and the actual improvements made. I’ve never driven a PP1 of PP2, but I doubt this is any better.
(4) Because of the steering and the lack of that crisp, tight feeling, I didn’t think the car felt very nimble. The Shelby GT350 feels fairly nimble for its heft even though it’s not a nimble or agile car per se like a Porsche 718 Cayman (I own a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 automatic).
(5) Automatic transmission seemed the same as in my 2019 GT - it does the trick, but a bit clunky. It wasn’t smooth, and no noticeable improvement from Ford’s transmission tuning was evident. Disappointed that it was not noticeably improved despite Ford’s marketing.
(6) Overall performance - This is a fast, great sounding, comfortable riding, serviceable handling, top of the line Mustang 5.0. Is it much different than a GT Premium with some boxes checked on the options list? I don’t think so.

(7) Concluding thoughts: I would now like to drive a Handling Package Mach 1. Problem is- there are very few ordered with it so unlikely to see one sitting around. Maybe the handling package with its upgrades to the steering and the suspension would make the car feel more like a Shelby. I can say for sure the Mach 1 without the handling package is NOT a bridge between a GT PP1/PP2 and a Shelby. It’s simply a nicely packaged top of the line Mustang 5.0. Would I buy this over a GT Premium with options? Sure I would because it’s a better deal when compared side by side and it’s a special edition model. But nobody who has a 5.0 PP1 or PP2 needs to feel bad - the car I drove is not a leap forward. Again, maybe the handling package variant brings the Shelby engineering into the picture and gives the car a much different feel. I spoke to a forum member on the phone this weekend and he said the handling package on his Mach 1 made a huge, huge difference in the performance and character of the car - and he has experience with both.

I must stress: PRESSURE the dealers to test drive these cars. These are glorified Mustangs. They aren’t GT2 RS Porsches. Ferrari sends test drive cars to circulate around its dealers and anybody off the street can drive a new model Roma or Portofino M before it is released and almost always if one is sitting in inventory. Anybody off the street can test drive a 911 Porsche or a base model McLaren. Want to drive a new BMW M5, AMG Mercedes E63S? No problem. I am not going to listen to a Ford dealer tell me they won’t test drive a Mach 1 — especially not when a loyal Ford owner is requesting. Let’s change the arrogant attitudes of so many of these Ford dealers together.

Ford: if you’re listening, you’ve done a terrible job here. This maybe a Seller’s market, but you know the other side of a Seller’s market, and it’s not fun. People remember when they are mistreated. People ought to be able to know what they’re buying before they buy it. Afraid the test drive won’t go well, as it did not for me? Here’s a solution- make a better product, or train dealer personnel to know what they are selling and segregate regular salespeople from the salespeople who are authorized to sell special edition cars. Send a memo to dealers stating that it is Ford’s intention to provide excellent customer service to current and prospective Ford owners and that no-obligation test drives of the Mach 1 are strongly encouraged. Try to act with the class that manufacturers of better and more expensive cars exhibit or you’ll be the same old Ford forever.
Amen on the test drives. I cross shopped the GT350 with Mercedes GLA AMG, Audi S4 & RS3, and Cadillac ATS-V. Test driving those vehicles was infinitely easier than getting a Shelby out of most Ford dealerships. These Ford dealerships sell crazy expensive F-150's all the time yet don't know how to treat someone that wants to buy a sports car at an equivalent price. The one dealership that let my wife and I have at a Shelby was the place we ended up buying one six months after the test drive. Funny how that works.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

The transmission aspect isn’t relevant to me (despite the fact that I desire an automatic). Doesn’t change the performance attributes of the car. It may change the fun factor, but that isn’t being considered here.
To be fair, and the review is appreciated, but wouldn't a totally FAIR and nearly equal comparison be a 6spd MT M1 to a 6spd MT GT350?

I get you had a prior GT with the 10R80 and the M1 you test drove was also the 10R80 but it seems you're a little biased in the fact that to you, the 10R80 is clunky and doesn't seem to be improved upon by Ford based on your prior 10R80 ownership. Just to note for those who aren't familiar with the 10R80, yes some do have a clunky feeling while others do not; there as variety of reasons for this which is outlined in a huge 10R80 thread in the drivetrain sub-forum on here. The other thing is, the 10R80 is an adaptive learning transmission. Taking any 10R80 fresh off the lot isn't a fair rating because the trans has not had the opportunity to adapt in a short test drive or where the vehicle isn't driven daily under numerous conditions..

The M1 you test drove may have had a lax suspension feeling because it was not the handling package. Again, isn't the Shelby suspension in your 2020 superior from a hardware aspect (and software if Magneride) when comparing to a non-MR equipped Mustang (M1 or not)?

Now don't read into the above as downplaying your review - just merely having a discussion here.

I get that many Ford Dealers don't have M1's let alone M1's equipped balls to the wall with all the features - but IMO, a fair review would have been a similar equipped A to B. Again, not that your review is suspect or "unfair", just discussing trans and suspension from an apples to apples comparison instead of apples to pears (of course excluding the engine from the review because there's no comparison there).

Your note to "Ford" on here about not being able to test drive a M1 would be heard if you post it directly to their Social Media accounts (which I highly recommend you do). I also don't see why a Ford Dealership would deny any potential Customer a test drive of ANY vehicle on their lot, regardless of the Customer's intentions. All Customers should be treated as potential buyers OR lost sales IF that customer goes and buys from the competitors because they couldn't get a test drive.

Thanks for your review and the notes about the Dealer's lack of customer service skills. :)

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
In my experience, domestic dealerships now pick and choose who they let drive their cars.....sometimes. Sometimes they just say no to everyone.
My ‘19 GT350 had 48 miles on it when I bought new. This means someone certainly test drove it, more than once.
That said, during the buying process which I set up over the phone the day before, I was asked if I wanted a test drive...I declined because I knew putting around the city in traffic wouldn’t tell me much.
I remember in the 70’s, test driving a car was just how things were done. The sales staff couldn’t wait to get out on the road and “sell” the car. I was only 16 and got test drives....go figure.
There is a reason some dealerships sell dozens of FP vehicles while others dream of getting a couple.

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, and the review is appreciated, but wouldn't a totally FAIR and nearly equal comparison be a 6spd MT M1 to a 6spd MT GT350?

I get you had a prior GT with the 10R80 and the M1 you test drove was also the 10R80 but it seems you're a little biased in the fact that to you, the 10R80 is clunky and doesn't seem to be improved upon by Ford based on your prior 10R80 ownership.

The M1 you test drove may have had a lax suspension feeling because it was not the handling package. Again, isn't the Shelby suspension in your 2020 superior from a hardware aspect (and software if Magneride) when comparing to a non-MR equipped Mustang (M1 or not)?

Now don't read into the above as downplaying your review - just merely having a discussion here.

I get that many Ford Dealers don't have M1's let alone M1's equipped balls to the wall with all the features - but IMO, a fair review would have been a similar equipped A to B. Again, not that your review is suspect or "unfair", just discussing trans and suspension from an apples to apples comparison instead of apples to pears (of course excluding the engine from the review because there's no comparison there).

Your note to "Ford" on here about not being able to test drive a M1 would be heard if you post it directly to their Social Media accounts (which I highly recommend you do). I also don't see why a Ford Dealership would deny any potential Customer a test drive of ANY vehicle on their lot, regardless of the Customer's intentions. All Customers should be treated as potential buyers OR lost sales IF that customer goes and buys from the competitors because they couldn't get a test drive.

Thanks for your review and the notes about the Dealer's lack of customer service skills. :)
Thank you for the kind words.

To repeat - the transmission manual or automatic aspect isn’t relevant to the steering feel, the handling, tightness, nimble feel, etc etc. We know the manual transmission is identical in the two cars except it’s actually better in the Mach 1 given the rev-matching feature which can be deactivated if desired.

As for the handling pack, I wouldn’t say it’s unfair- I am reviewing the car I drove- which was not handling package. I would like to drive a handling package car now. But the overall point is that Ford is not letting people test drive these cars yet they are marketing the notion that the base car is supposed to have all these handling and other advantages over the 5.0 PP1 and PP2, which I am saying is likely a stretch.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
In my experience, domestic dealerships now pick and choose who they let drive their cars.....sometimes. Sometimes they just say no to everyone.
My ‘19 GT350 had 48 miles on it when I bought new. This means someone certainly test drove it, more than once.
That said, during the buying process which I set up over the phone the day before, I was asked if I wanted a test drive...I declined because I knew putting around the city in traffic wouldn’t tell me much.
I remember in the 70’s, test driving a car was just how things were done. The sales staff couldn’t wait to get out on the road and “sell” the car. I was only 16 and got test drives....go figure.
There is a reason some dealerships sell dozens of FP vehicles while others dream of getting a couple.
Two quotes I've heard more than once from acquaintances in the car sales biz...

"Get 'em into the ether" (google ether if you don't know what that is) - basically get them into the car to smell it.

"Feel the wheel, seal the deal". Pretty self explanatory.

When I test drove a 2020 PP2 last summer the salesman gave me the keys and said see you when I see you. Granted covid probably played a role but he didn't even blink. Plus I have gray hair so salesmen probably have a lot less angst about guys like me going for test drives... heh heh.

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Two quotes I've heard more than once from acquaintances in the car sales biz...

"Get 'em into the ether" (google ether if you don't know what that is) - basically get them into the car to smell it.

"Feel the wheel, seal the deal". Pretty self explanatory.

When I test drove a 2020 PP2 last summer the salesman gave me the keys and said see you when I see you. Granted covid probably played a role but he didn't even blink. Plus I look old so I'm sure salesmen have a lot less angst about guys like me going for test drives... heh heh.
Agree completely. Test drives sell cars. Especially when a trained salesperson knows how to accelerate the driver’s excitement. Unfortunately, the pay model at Ford dealerships very rarely allows for highly paid, professional salespeople.
Sponsored