Sponsored

Camber bolt torque?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, if you use a set of camber bolts, what do you torque them to?

Can they withstand 184ft-lbs like the OEM spline bolts?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So, if you use a set of camber bolts, what do you torque them to?
You'll need to check the installation instructions for whichever ones you have.

Aftermarket crash bolts are typically torqued to a significantly lower setting than OE strut-knuckle fasteners or any camber bolts that Ford may offer. For that reason, I'll never use them.

Norm

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You'll need to check the installation instructions for whichever ones you have.

Aftermarket crash bolts are typically torqued to a significantly lower setting than OE strut-knuckle fasteners or any camber bolts that Ford may offer. For that reason, I'll never use them.

Norm
Unless you get into an offset collision, what is the negative aspect of them?

I've read, one can use them for track use as well. That's a pretty harsh condition....Just curious.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Lower installation torque = less clamp load = greater chance of setting slippage.

Worse is the possibility of overtorquing them, which can cause yielding and further loss of clamp load relative to the OE design basis. A yielded strut to knuckle fastener belongs in the trash, or on your desk as a memento of what to not do.

Norm

Sponsored

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
After research I have come to the conclusion that plates are best. You dont want to skimp on anything that regards to your suspension and handling integrity.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
with only an SVE 1" rear and 1.1" front drop, is it really necessary to get the camber plates? How many people really needed them after only a 1" drop?

RSPEK 178

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
MY20 Mustang R Spec
After research I have come to the conclusion that plates are best. You dont want to skimp on anything that regards to your suspension and handling integrity.
Totally agree and is why I am installing camber plates. Still cannot believe that the recommended factory fix is to file out what is effectively a fitted bolt assembly on the lower strut mount (to elongate it) and then fit a camber bolt that relies on clamping force!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Totally agree and is why I am installing camber plates. Still cannot believe that the recommended factory fix is to file out what is effectively a fitted bolt assembly on the lower strut mount (to elongate it) and then fit a camber bolt that relies on clamping force!
Ford's own camber bolts should call for full regular-fastener torque. I'm sure it was that way on the S197, and I wouldn't expect that to have changed.

I doubt that the production bolts are closely fitted through all three pieces (strut ear, knuckle, other strut ear). Clamp load does work, provided that you have enough of it - it's actually how many bolted joints really work (not with the bolt in direct shear like you might first think).

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Whatever the case. I decided to buy some camber plates, and will install with them when the time comes. I guess it's better than having to take the thing apart to fit them later.

Sponsored

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Just want to throw this out there, camber bolts on the S550 Mustang have been more than proven to withstand some MAJOR abuse. Many wins and track records have been logged with camber bolts on this chassis. The reason? Because the 2015+ Mustangs have massive M16 mounting fasteners, so even a camber bolt that is a 12.9GR and M14 still torques to 129ftlbs.

If you have a lower stock M16 at it's torque spec, and an upper M14 camber bolt from say BMR (theirs are extreme quality) at its torque spec - there wont be any issues at all. Not a chance.

In years past on cars that were not much lighter, the factory was M14 and the camber bolts are M12. (129ftlbs vs 78ish) - AND the fasteners were not splined like the S550....so yeah, those could cause issues and you had to keep an eye on them.

That said, I do agree, plates are the way. Plates + bolts if you really like to party.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, for a daily driver that does a bit of spirited driving, camber bolts would be more than sufficient?

I just don't like the idea of spending $200+ for plates when I really won't ever need them. I don't race my car. I bought them anyway, but would send them back if all I really need is just a set of bolts for a 1" drop.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OK, well then what about REAR Camber?

It's just a 1" drop in the rear, so will it be adjustable enough with the existing setup?

I'd hate to have to get a set of Steeda rear camber adjusters too. I have a feeling it's adjustable enough, since there isn't too much out there for rear camber without buying a whole adjustable link for $300.

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
Just use the plates, you will have better peace of mind.
Sponsored

Last edited: