Sponsored

Cajones GRANDE

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
did not know the Base R did not come with the center gauges on the dash.
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Blind curves at full speed and paying for damage. That's out of my pay grade.
Yeah, that's why I played it safe and lifted if I wasn't 100% sure! The big jump in speed comes when you know the course well enough to know where you can keep the throttle open. I am not there yet.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah, that's why I played it safe and lifted if I wasn't 100% sure! The big jump in speed comes when you know the course well enough to know where you can keep the throttle open. I am not there yet.
Have you driven it a lot on sim? Wondering how well that applies. I know it did super well for VIR and Road Atlanta for me.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Man!!! Ain’t no other engine sound more beautiful!!! That momma was singing!!!

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Have you driven it a lot on sim? Wondering how well that applies. I know it did super well for VIR and Road Atlanta for me.
Sim can help with blind turns, but not so much with lines. The micro terrain (changes in tarmac, compressions, elevation changes, and knowing which kerbs you can touch and which to avoid) is hard to simulate, but make a big difference on the track. Rule of thumb is it takes 50 laps before your knowledge of the track makes it feel like a commute. Unless you live close by, takes a lot of public track days (Touristenfahrten)--too many risks and distractions (motorcycles, buses...). Faster way to learn is through closed track days. Judging from his site and style, he has been driving all the tracks in the area for years.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sim can help with blind turns, but not so much with lines. The micro terrain (changes in tarmac, compressions, elevation changes, and knowing which kerbs you can touch and which to avoid) is hard to simulate, but make a big difference on the track. Rule of thumb is it takes 50 laps before your knowledge of the track makes it feel like a commute. Unless you live close by, takes a lot of public track days (Touristenfahrten)--too many risks and distractions (motorcycles, buses...). Faster way to learn is through closed track days. Judging from his site and style, he has been driving all the tracks in the area for years.

That's what I thinking too. Just knowing which turns are coming up and when is a big benefit. The specifics of the surface will help fine tune the lines. COTA is like that in Assetto Corsa - fast line in AC doesn't work well in real life in a mustang for me at least. But a great to build muscle memory for the track.

If you check out his other videos, he's been driving on it for years (and its evident with his momentum and calmness).

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's what I thinking too. Just knowing which turns are coming up and when is a big benefit. The specifics of the surface will help fine tune the lines. COTA is like that in Assetto Corsa - fast line in AC doesn't work well in real life in a mustang for me at least. But a great to build muscle memory for the track.

If you check out his other videos, he's been driving on it for years (and its evident with his momentum and calmness).
Agree. I would guess that COTA would be similar to Spa-Francorchamps or the GP track at Nürburg. The sim is true to form with those tracks and their runoffs make them somewhat more forgiving by comparison. Nordschliefe is more like a 21km commute on a very well maintained curvy mountain road with (almost) no shoulders.

Edit: You're definitely right about his calmness and smoothness. Fun to watch...and envy.

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not really. We rented a car through RSR Nurburg, and they have an Assetto Corsa sim in the lobby. We showed up early and I did 4-5 sim laps, which helped a bit.

My friend and co-driver had done many laps on a sim at home, so he had that advantage and clearly knew the track better - but I have quite a bit more track experience and am more comfortable pushing a car. In the end, his fastest lap was one second quicker than mine. I am pretty sure he carried a much higher average speed on the fast sections, because he had fewer unnecessary lifts, but I had higher average cornering speeds.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Voodoo > Predator

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Agree. I would guess that COTA would be similar to Spa-Francorchamps or the GP track at Nürburg. The sim is true to form with those tracks and their runoffs make them somewhat more forgiving by comparison. Nordschliefe is more like a 21km commute on a very well maintained curvy mountain road with (almost) no shoulders.

Edit: You're definitely right about his calmness and smoothness. Fun to watch...and envy.
This is right on. We actually did a (wet!) track day at Spa the day before we hit the Nurburgring. That was in a rented Focus RS, also through RSR. Freaking awesome track. At Spa, like most road courses, you can be all over the curbs. At the 'Ring, it's best to stay off all of them unless you know very well which few can be used. For those who haven't been there, video is deceiving and many of the curbs are nearly vertical and 6-10 inches high. They will really upset the car, or even tip it.

Edit - just went back and watched the video again, this time with headphones :-) Really excellent lap. You can see how some of the sustained, full-throttle runs where it's gently winding would be terrifying if you don't know where the road goes over the crest. This guy has a ton of laps under his belt.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

frank s

Threads
Reaction score