Sponsored

CAI No Tune Question

RaceRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT 6 Speed
I have been lurking for a long time reading all the threads about the different intake systems and tunes. I originally was going to get an intake and a custom Lund tune, but the more I read... the more scared I am to screw with the computer and risk issues so I think for now, until I have the car paid off or have a separate vehicle for getting me to work I am going to avoid flashing the computer.

My question is -- has anyone ran a CAI that does NOT experience any funkyness with the engine without a custom tune? Any recommendations? I see a lot of people saying stock intake is just as good as aftermarket. I do have a catback system so I am thinking I may benefit from the intake but I want to run something that doesn't require a tune.

Any info/advise would be appreciated
I did a simple upgrade that keeps the stock airbox. I don't race the car just wanted better power and sound.

I replaced the resonator with an x-pipe. Installed an Airaid MIT on the stock box and an AEM dryflow filter.

I bought a SCT X4 tuner alone for $298 shipped and installed the 93 octane canned tune. Car runs great with zero issues. I have less than $500 in the entire setup not counting the $83 x-pipe.

If I want a race tune in the future I can select one from many vendors.

In your case I would recommed this approach. But then Im not peddling parts either.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
I did a simple upgrade that keeps the stock airbox. I don't race the car just wanted better power and sound.

I replaced the resonator with an x-pipe. Installed an Airaid MIT on the stock box and an AEM dryflow filter.

I bought a SCT X4 tuner alone for $298 shipped and installed the 93 octane canned tune. Car runs great with zero issues. I have less than $500 in the entire setup not counting the $83 x-pipe.

If I want a race tune in the future I can select one from many vendors.

In your case I would recommed this approach. But then Im not peddling parts either.:thumbsup:

I have a similar setup. I use the Diablo Intune (91 performance can tune) Airaid MIT and AFE pro dry drop in filter. Also have the Lethal H pipe. As mentioned by RaceRed it's a pretty good setup and I haven't had any issues thus far.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT