Sponsored

Cabin filter access

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I have a 2022 model and I'm trying to replace the cabin filter with a K&N washable one.

I'm used to replacing cabin filters on my cars on my own as they usually are pretty easy to get to.

I feel dumb for asking for help with this but in all the videos and instructions I'm able to find, they say after you unhook and lower the glovebox, you can just stick your arm / screwdriver / filter up there from behind the glove box and you go from there. But on my Mustang there is a plastic panel with the ambient light blocking access from the footwell. No video or instructions I've been able to find mention this panel at all or how to remove it and I don't want to fuck it up.

Can anyone explain how to get proper access behind the glovebox so I can replace the cabin filter? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the panel I'm talking about that no one in any YouTube video seems to have in their Mustang.

IMG_5783.jpeg

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I just watched another video that is no different.

I wonder if there was some sort of mod by Ford. I noticed on your plastic panel there are two zits on the corners. I feel the desire to tug on those, to remove the panel to get past it.

Hard to see another way. The small port on the left isn't big enough for a hand, much less the filter.

Thread is still young. Maybe someone with more experience will provide input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€™s some photos with the glovebox down and looking though the fabric opening

IMG_5789.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg

OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That part I understand. But I canā€™t reach from under the dashboard to fit the screwdriver in there or to have enough room to remove the filter or insert the new one up into this space.

Ya, you're right where you need to be.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I understand now. Sorry I wasted your time. Difficult to see the filter making it out without the panel coming out first. FWIW, I'll continue to search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It turns out you were right about pulling on those tabs. The one on the right needed quite a bit more force than I would have liked, but the panel does come off and I was able to replace the cabin filter.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/s550-mustang-cabin-air-filter-replacement

The steps shown at this link are pretty detailed, but I don't see anything referenced in your photos.

I feel like I'm looking at an inner shell of the glove box in your pic?

In the CJ video, there's a felt panel with a relief.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It turns out you were right about pulling on those tabs. The one on the right needed quite a bit more force than I would have liked, but the panel does come off and I was able to replace the cabin filter.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Did you happen to video the process? If so, will you please consider posting it, in the spirit of helping others? I didnā€™t even know that K&N made cabin filters. Are they oilless? Was the original filter filthy? Thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
stalfos

stalfos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not film it. The sun was beginning to set and I was rushing to finish before I lost the light. lol

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 S550 was the most difficult filter I have ever replaced. Big hands make it even harder. My 19 F150 and 2011 GT500 are much easier. Ford made this hard on purpose IMO.
Sponsored

Last edited: