Sponsored

Buying Used in the UK

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Nice to see you here mate, you have two options:

1. Buy new, Ford are overstocked and some dealerships are doing great deals, no reason why you can't grab a manual GT for 34-36k on interest free credit, the interest free would allow you to increase budget to buy new.
2. Buy used, but its a buyers market, loads for sale, for 30k you want ideally either a car with good quality mods or a near new and to be honest, pay no more than 25k, liike I say buyers market and GT's have traded hands for around 25k, if you spend 30k used it needs to have every option, extended warranty, service pack or some high value mods.

Have fun. :)
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18s are an improvement but not £8k better so I think the 15s will retain their value. Especially if some of the 17s are only £140 a year road tax. Plus not everyone likes the front of the 18s.

Lets add it up:

Engine upgrades: Easily £1000
Active exhaust: £2000
Active drls: £500
Digital dash: £1500
Improved MT82: Priceless, but lets say £1000 for better clutch fitted, A10 again priceless
Suspension improvements: £500
Nicer heated wheel and other interior updates: £500
Mag ride: £1600 (easily done within 8k if ordering with coast to coast)

So yeah there is about 8k worth of improvements and the rest, hell I know most of us here spent easily around that value improving the quite frank average handling, the fact it sounded muted and rubbish stock, then styling and in the pursuit of more power. The 18 kind of gives you all that but in a much better rounded package.

But to say its not worth the 8k extra is kind of wrong, as the MY18 is not a minor revision, its pretty much a totally different car or on par with a very sorted and highly modified 15-17, well close. :)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Nice breakdown but I specced mine and it was £8k more without the mag ride. Also, road tax is close to £500 a year where mine is £140 :)

OP
OP
tweedbean

tweedbean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Two MINI's but looking for a Mustang
Nice to see you here mate, you have two options:

1. Buy new, Ford are overstocked and some dealerships are doing great deals, no reason why you can't grab a manual GT for 34-36k on interest free credit, the interest free would allow you to increase budget to buy new.
2. Buy used, but its a buyers market, loads for sale, for 30k you want ideally either a car with good quality mods or a near new and to be honest, pay no more than 25k, liike I say buyers market and GT's have traded hands for around 25k, if you spend 30k used it needs to have every option, extended warranty, service pack or some high value mods.

Have fun. :)
Cheers, with your 1st option are you talking brand new unregistered pre-facelift 17 models rather than the new facelifted 18 models?

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Lets add it up:

Engine upgrades: Easily £1000
Active exhaust: £2000
Active drls: £500
Digital dash: £1500
Improved MT82: Priceless, but lets say £1000 for better clutch fitted, A10 again priceless
Suspension improvements: £500
Nicer heated wheel and other interior updates: £500
Mag ride: £1600 (easily done within 8k if ordering with coast to coast)

So yeah there is about 8k worth of improvements and the rest, hell I know most of us here spent easily around that value improving the quite frank average handling, the fact it sounded muted and rubbish stock, then styling and in the pursuit of more power. The 18 kind of gives you all that but in a much better rounded package.

But to say its not worth the 8k extra is kind of wrong, as the MY18 is not a minor revision, its pretty much a totally different car or on par with a very sorted and highly modified 15-17, well close. :)
Well for me a fully loaded GT MY17 with £140 annual VED at £39K was the main motivator and I really don’t think I would have been paying c.£45k with c.£500 annual VED as I would have probably waited a couple of years and bought nearly new. I seem to recall you cancelling your MY18 because of the price or am I wrong?

Sponsored

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Cheers, with your 1st option are you talking brand new unregistered pre-facelift 17 models rather than the new facelifted 18 models?
Yeah. There should be plenty on 17s on dealers forecourts still. Chuck a huge deposit down and get one on 0% and save some money for mods or whatever pops up.
The later cars should hopefully have some of the mentioned issues fixed. From Experience the oil cooler one is horrible. I still have a scar on my drive way :(

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was offered £28.5k as a trade against a car last week (we may be moving house and the GT, even with an average of @21 mpg is going to cost too much in fuel - and I don't really want to rack up the miles on a nice car).

The other car was retailing for £19,990 from a main dealer.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Hi all, my names James and I am looking at potentially buying a used Mustang GT. Is there anything I should look out for, have a budget of 30k?

Any common problems?
Any questions I should ask, outside the usual things, specific to Mustangs?
Is the original warranty linked to the car and does it transfer owner to owner for the first 3 years?

Fancy triple yellow or white.
If I knew for sure that they would build mine new mustang I would sell mine, but at the moment you are ahead of me putting it up for sale at the moment

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
as you can't hear the V8 in the 15-17 you might as well go for the more economical engine.
Strongly disagree :lol:

OP states a GT, so I won't add my 2 pence re EB vs GT

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes some dealership are doing excellent deals on MY17 cars on 18 plates for around 35k with 0% interest free.

If you want an MY18 car, your best bet is to buy through coast to coast as the discounts are nice, you can get a brand new 18 with mag ride, manual for about 3k under dealer price which depending on other options would be around 41k, of course no interest free and probably not the best buy depreciation wise if you intend on reselling it on in a couple of years, if its a keeper then don't worry about depreciation.

Buy the car you feel is better for you, just remember with an MY17 car in standard form there are some absolute must have modifications:

- Exhaust, stock really is poor, your looking at £500 - £3000 depending on type of system you want, Roush axle backs tend to be best bang for buck.
- Lowering springs or coilovers, again Ford Eibach kit is best value, circa £150 but the car is still bouncy and floaty, so Pedders coilovers are great value around £800, or a set of KW V1 around £1200. Coilovers have the beauty of height adjustable, you set your own stance.
- Wheel spacers or new wheels, £150 or around £1000 - £10000, I recommend Ispiri forged 19" to take stock tyre sizes, so about £1000
- Tyres, Pzero are poor in cold/wet conditions which the UK is half the year, so a set of MPSS or PS4S is £1000, though the Pzero are good for learning on, slides easily but they can be unpredictable so be weary.
- BMR CB005 £250
- Custom tune: £500 - £1000, shopping around or waiting for deals

Of course you can do them over time but the above is really the must haves on a 15-17 car, if you buy an 18, you instantly save as you don't need exhaust, don't need tyres and don't need a tune to wake the car up. If you option mag ride the need for lowering and handling improvements is also pretty much negated as the mag ride is a major step on in handling, infact I'd go as far to say that as a road car there is no after market kit for the Mustang which can match its ability on the road, track of course different ball game, but as a road suspension setup, mag ride is unbeatable.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice breakdown but I specced mine and it was £8k more without the mag ride. Also, road tax is close to £500 a year where mine is £140 :)
Who cares about road tax when your spending this money, oh I forgot PS4S thats over another grand right there. ;)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well for me a fully loaded GT MY17 with £140 annual VED at £39K was the main motivator and I really don’t think I would have been paying c.£45k with c.£500 annual VED as I would have probably waited a couple of years and bought nearly new. I seem to recall you cancelling your MY18 because of the price or am I wrong?

My car was approaching 50k, which when I put my sensible cap on is a lot of money to put it plainly for a mass production Ford.

Also as my Mustang was very nicely modified, KW Clubsports, forged wheels, 2PC brakes, FRPP handling kit and another ten grand worth of kit, my only reason for changing was coming down to go from manual to automatic and it would of just really been a side step.

So I looked at what else 50-60k would get me, I found myself looking at F-Type R AWD which to be frank blew the Mustang out the water in every department, of course I then decided to lose my marbles and just went and dropped 80k on an SVR, but I did it right I feel.

We all would like a GT 350, if I got the regular F-Type R, I'd have wanted or try to upgrade to an SVR but it would never have been an SVR, so I got the SVR and depreciation risk aside its a totally epic bit of kit, its nearly running 10s quarter miles out the box, despatches 0-60 in 3s in the wet and handles amazingly, sounds incredible, first car I've never wanted to fit an exhaust too and it just does everything so well whilst been huge fun. So no regrets for me! :)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Who cares about road tax when your spending this money, oh I forgot PS4S thats over another grand right there. ;)
Yeah people always say that till they get hit with the £500 road tax - oh i forgot the cost for having to fit aftermarket products to he front end so that's gonna cost another few grand! ;)

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Yeah people always say that till they get hit with the £500 road tax - oh i forgot the cost for having to fit aftermarket products to he front end so that's gonna cost another few grand! ;)
Thought road tax on the 18 was £410 for 4 years then goes down to £170
Sponsored