Jambondrums

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 916 Spider twin spark, Peugeot RCZ and Saab 9
Hi all.
In the next few months I am considering buying a Mustang GT. Could you guys give me any tips and pointers as to things to check for etc....please?
Any help will be gratefully received.
Cheers
James.
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Welcome James...

1. do it
2. depends if you are going new or used?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
3. Thorough test drive. Make sure you're happy with the gearbox (if you're going manual).
I would add that the gearbox needs to be up to temp before you will get a true feeling of what it is like and before you make a judgement on it :like:

If we assume that box temp responds like the diff temp, it could take quite a while in the current UK temps - however, I have found that applying torque can raise the diff temp quite quickly (much quicker than I had read on here) but I appreciate that long test drives and / or making the box work for a living aren't going to be the easiest of things to do in someone else's car if you are going down the second hand buying option ...

Oh yeah, as you have already found this forum - assume that any budget you have in mind will soon start to look like a distant dream ... :facepalm: :giggle:

WD :like:

OP
OP

Jambondrums

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info there guys. I will be buying used, a brand new one would be nice obviously, but I wouldn't be able to stretch to that.
So can I assume that the gearbox, as I only want a manual, is a bit reluctant or stiff until the oil temp has warmed up etc... then? Other than that, have there been any reported issues with anything else that would be worth checking out? I am fairly mechanically minded, so have an eye to check for most normal things, but if there is anything specific to the Mustang, I would appreciate the tips. Is the Coyote V8 a strong engine? From what I can gather, the early 2015 cars were sometimes a bit temperamental, but after March 2016 they are pretty much bomb proof. Or have I been misinformed there?
Thanks again for all the help.

Sponsored

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
There’s a really useful guide on here in the sticky’s section on what to look out for so I’d point you there to avoid duplicating all that.

The early models were vulnerable to oil cooler failure, there are lots of aftermarket solutions to proactively tackle this issue.

Apart from that they are pretty much bulletproof, other than needing to change the standard fit Pirelli P Zero tyres on the older models which are death traps in the wet.

OP
OP

Jambondrums

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Great thanks for that. I shall search for the thread then. Much obliged.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Fender rust. Hood rust. If buying gen3 coyote then check for phaser chirp, check the AC works, check for carpet dampness etc check for the coolant to see if it has any oil film at all. If so, walk away.

I have some Roush Axlebacks, so h pipe with mid pipe and a shelby GT350 steering wheel up for sale. Ideal first mods 😉

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
1. Check handbrake - should be hard ish to pull up and doesn’t go too far.
2. Check puddle lights in the mirrors. Mustang logo should be sharp and the right shape.
3. Check bonnet lip and front wings for corrosion and bubbling.
4. Check rear camera is functioning.
5. Check boot lid inside seam for rust.
6. Check air con is cold and blowing cold out of all vents (not a mix of warm and cold).
7. Check gearbox when cold, especially 1st to 2nd.

All of the above were a problem for me and without warranty would have cost upwards of 7k to rectify in the first year of ownership.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
If you're buying a convertible then check the roof for damage, if it's got any then just walk away, I wouldn't even bother trying to negotiate a fix in the sale.
Sponsored