RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Don't let your ego get in the way of your thinking and choice. No other vehicle that is known for blowing up the power plant would ever be thought of an option when looking to buy . Yet the 350gt many look the other way . It was one thing when it was under warranty and the cost wasn't out of your wallet for the replacement . But after the warranty is out it is.
This isn't a 302 v8 that a rebuilt short block was 2 grand give or take .
If you are ok with a tens of thousands repair bill when the engine lifts off , then have at it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The GT350 hoods aren't as reliable as GT hoods - watch out!

-bnightstar
/s
That's actually not true because both early years GT and GT350 hoods suffer from that issue in particular.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My take would be the DH from a reliability standpoint, especially if it will be tracked. I don't believe we'll ever see any real data regarding the gen 2 Voodoo being any more reliable. I've personally seen more of them let go than gen 1 engines. I also lost my gen 1 engine, not under warranty.

Unless you really want the subjective little extra bit of fun that comes with the Voodoo, it just isn't worth giving up the reliability of the Coyote motors. I don't expect the gen 4 Coyote to be any different.
I think the whole thing is overhyped but based on my observation of multiple forums theouout the duration of the 350 program - thereā€™s no way gen2 engines have had more failures than gen1. In fact, minus a batch with the tensioner issue - Iā€™ve seen almost zero gen2 failures.

letā€™s look at the mustang model from a higher altitude. Paint issues, panel gaps are horrible, dealer network canā€™t fix 1 thing without damaging anotherā€¦ I love the whole evolution of DOHC ford engines, Iā€™ve owned probably all of them..but other than the 350/voodoo, the rest just arenā€™t special enough to overlook the shortcomings I mentioned, that are shared by all Mustangs. Canā€™t argue with coyote reliability and they are a good value hp/$ but they just arenā€™t interesting to me anymore. Almost like when someone starts telling me about an LS swapā€¦.borriinnnggg.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That's actually not true because both early years GT and GT350 hoods suffer from that issue in particular.
Itā€™s REALLY not true because Ford has been having this issue for years on all of their aluminum panels. Lots of complaints and suits with Explorer and other models.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I think the whole thing is overhyped but based on my observation of multiple forums theouout the duration of the 350 program - thereā€™s no way gen2 engines have had more failures than gen1. In fact, minus a batch with the tensioner issue - Iā€™ve seen almost zero gen2 failures.

letā€™s look at the mustang model from a higher altitude. Paint issues, panel gaps are horrible, dealer network canā€™t fix 1 thing without damaging anotherā€¦ I love the whole evolution of DOHC ford engines, Iā€™ve owned probably all of them..but other than the 350/voodoo, the rest just arenā€™t special enough to overlook the shortcomings I mentioned, that are shared by all Mustangs. Canā€™t argue with coyote reliability and they are a good value hp/$ but they just arenā€™t interesting to me anymore. Almost like when someone starts telling me about an LS swapā€¦.borriinnnggg.
Problem being is when in the back of your head you know you are driving a ticking time bomb you tend not to DRIVE it hard , unless a replacement engine service is pocket lint money to the owner.
The gen 2 engines might be better no one knows as most owners worry about its resale value and don't use them ,having only gone 1600 miles in 4 years .
Not saying the Coyote won't go boom but new car = warranty and if it does it is fords problem not yours .

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Problem being is when in the back of your head you know you are driving a ticking time bomb you tend not to DRIVE it hard , unless a replacement engine service is pocket lint money to the owner.
The gen 2 engines might be better no one knows as most owners worry about its resale value and don't use them ,having only gone 1600 miles in 4 years .
Not saying the Coyote won't go boom but new car = warranty and if it does it is fords problem not yours .
1 - youā€™re making stuff up to support your wag. Gen 2 has been in place for 2 years as original engines and iterations of it have been in placefad well.
2 - I have a hard time taking anyone who calls it a 350gt, seriously ;)
3 - youā€™re telling me what is in my head? To the point you know how I drive? Thanks for thatā€¦pffft :rolleyes:

Even my gen1 motor was great in my 16R. Over 11k miles on that.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
1 - youā€™re making stuff up to support your wag. Gen 2 has been in place for 2 years as original engines and iterations of it have been in placefad well.
2 - I have a hard time taking anyone who calls it a 350gt, seriously ;)
3 - youā€™re telling me what is in my head? To the point you know how I drive? Thanks for thatā€¦pffft :rolleyes:

Even my gen1 motor was great in my 16R. Over 11k miles on that.
Seems you are taking my post as a personal attack . It wasn't but it is telling.
Have a good day .

OP
OP
Bullit

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Don't let your ego get in the way of your thinking and choice. No other vehicle that is known for blowing up the power plant would ever be thought of an option when looking to buy . Yet the 350gt many look the other way . It was one thing when it was under warranty and the cost wasn't out of your wallet for the replacement . But after the warranty is out it is.
This isn't a 302 v8 that a rebuilt short block was 2 grand give or take .
If you are ok with a tens of thousands repair bill when the engine lifts off , then have at it.
Can you buy a complete Voodoo engine for replacement?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Seems you are taking my post as a personal attack . It wasn't but it is telling.
Have a good day .
No, I was taking it as a broken record because you keep repeating the same thing but have never owned one. Too many people parroting what someone else said with zero experience.

If you need to parrot this to make you feel better about your own choices, then ??

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
To the OP - regardless of any opinion about a specific model. I would never buy a late model car in a country where it was not originally available or didn't have a solid dealer network to service them. Even US Ford dealers are questionable, at best. Buy a new car - if t's the DH or some other variant that you can get over there, that's the one to get.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350

I should clarify that I've seen more gen 2s let go IN PERSON than gen 1s. I do not think gen 2s have more failures overall, I just don't think we'll see any actual data to support that the changes Ford made did or did not do anything. There are also more gen 2s at the track where I am than gen 1s so that skews what I've seen. I've now seen two gen 1 engines (including mine) let go entirely, a gen 1 oil filter catastrophic failure (Imploded filter, wildest failure I've seen to date tbh), and 5 gen 2s let go. All of the engine failures except my own were related to cylinder 8.

All of the cars mentioned above failed on track, not on the street. They were also very heavily tracked (20+ days per year). If someone is buying a Voodoo to drive on the street, they're probably going to perfectly find in my experience.

As far as the LS swap goes, I'd love an LS swapped lawn mower because that's about the only interesting swap left for that engine šŸ˜

OP
OP
Bullit

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
To the OP - regardless of any opinion about a specific model. I would never buy a late model car in a country where it was not originally available or didn't have a solid dealer network to service them. Even US Ford dealers are questionable, at best. Buy a new car - if t's the DH or some other variant that you can get over there, that's the one to get.
Yes, however a Mach 1 or DH arenā€™t a GT350, and euro versions are cut in Hp and no Torsen.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yes, however a Mach 1 or DH arenā€™t a GT350, and euro versions are cut in Hp and no Torsen.
What are the prices on the 24 DH in Europe anyway? A loaded one in the USA is almost 80K. In Canada it is almost 90K. I can't imagine they are any cheaper in Europe.

For that kind of money can you not find a newer GT350 without all these issues?
Sponsored