Sponsored

Buyer beware with used

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
F#$%!!

Background info: I originally had a 16 Ecoboost that was totalled back in April by a guy who will never admit that he was on his phone. Everything worked out because I picked up a used 16 GT exactly one month ago today. It's been a pretty freakin' awesome month.

I pulled into home tonight, and got out of the car only to hear a strong hiss coming from the left rear tire. Dammit. Pulled out the lug wrench and the spare, got two lug nuts loose, but the wrench wouldn't fit over the remaining three. Each wheel has three wheel locks a piece that all look exactly like the stock nuts. My own damn fault for not looking more closely at the lug nuts before taking the car off the lot.

The only place that's open tomorrow is NTB, and I wouldn't trust them to change out the nuts in a can of Planters. There goes my weekend plans.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Did you try the green slime pump in the trunk or is the hole too big?

OP
OP
iSpeed27

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
No tire sealant or air compressor with the spare tire kit.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
It was the aliens ................

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Lol, sounds like someone screwed up and put all the wheel locks on one wheel.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
.......Each wheel has three wheel locks a piece that all look exactly like the stock nuts......
Sounds like they are actually the stock lug nuts...just damaged. Actually a common issue with the OEM lug nuts Ford uses (chrome capped). Same issue with Dodge, Toyota that use capped lug nuts.

They have a thin chrome cover that is early warped. The issue is known as "swollen lug nuts." Google it, it's a real thing.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170825/OEM01/170829821/ford-sued-over-inferior-design-of-lug-nuts.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
The "swollen" lug nut problem with a new car may also be from using a loose fit 13/16 socket versus the correct 21 mm socket because the person (also known as me) didn't know any better before damaging several lug nuts using a variety of 13/16 six and 12 point sockets. The new 150 lb-ft torque rating aggravates the problem.

To be clear: 13/16 is actually smaller than 21 mm but if the socket is loose enough it can fit initially and then when torqued damage the shell so neither it or a good quality 21 mm will fit . . . speaking from experience.

This appears to be the best deal available for OEM replacement lugnuts. $11 for a package of 5. They exactly match the ones which came on the car.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...6ica5f6ziaVvL5PileEvCdjNtxdMA90YaAkksEALw_wcB

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Use a hammer/mallet to pound the socket on, remove the nutz, get the tire fixed, and put the nutz back on damaged. Then replace them later, no problem.

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Use a hammer/mallet to pound the socket on, remove the nutz, get the tire fixed, and put the nutz back on damaged. Then replace them later, no problem.
idk, i had to take mine off, and getting the nut off the socket was a serious bitch. It was only 4. It got tires rotated by the dealer and now its like almost all of them. pos

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Using a six point socket helps....a 12 point socket can easily damage the soft capped lug nuts.

There are better one piece lug nuts on the market that will alleviate this issue.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
F#$%!!

Background info: I originally had a 16 Ecoboost that was totalled back in April by a guy who will never admit that he was on his phone. Everything worked out because I picked up a used 16 GT exactly one month ago today. It's been a pretty freakin' awesome month.

I pulled into home tonight, and got out of the car only to hear a strong hiss coming from the left rear tire. Dammit. Pulled out the lug wrench and the spare, got two lug nuts loose, but the wrench wouldn't fit over the remaining three. Each wheel has three wheel locks a piece that all look exactly like the stock nuts. My own damn fault for not looking more closely at the lug nuts before taking the car off the lot.

The only place that's open tomorrow is NTB, and I wouldn't trust them to change out the nuts in a can of Planters. There goes my weekend plans.
Wow.

Good luck.

Performance cars like Mustangs, which can be heavily modded by owners in their own garage, one never knows ...

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
AAA card works well.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
"swollen lug nuts" . Is that related in any way to "blue balls " ? :D