Sponsored

Bullitt shift knob

s550coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt
just tried to install knob in my gt, just got about a turn in a half and can’t go any further without force. Any suggestion?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
just tried to install knob in my gt, just got about a turn in a half and can’t go any further without force. Any suggestion?
Are you sure that you received a knob with the correct thread pattern? Can you thread your original knob back on? If you can than possibly the threads in the new knob are damaged.

OP
OP

s550coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt
I looked at the threads on the Bullitt knob they looked fine. I have put the stock knob back on

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I looked at the threads on the Bullitt knob they looked fine. I have put the stock knob back on
Well if the threads aren't damaged on the knob or your shifter then I'm guessing you did not get the correct knob for your car.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's weird. It should have the same threads as yours. Did you buy the knob new? And are you sure it's OEM (bought from a Ford dealer)? They don't come with loctite from the factory (at least mine didn't have any), which would be the only justifiable reason to become hard. It's a great knob (perfect weight for me), but you could buy similar ones. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

s550coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt
Bought the knob new from ford.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you're not cross-threading it, it should go right in. Look inside for 'loctite'. If nothing, then you should be able to thread it several turns without much struggle, but the threads taper down, so it'll get progressively harder to turn. My 'ball' had a larger gap than it should from the reverse lockout, so decided to try to screw it down some more. I was able to do it 2 full turns, but the second one was quite hard. Did it like if it was a tap, going in a little, then back out, then in some more, then out... until finally ended up aligned. The gap between it and the reverse lockout is just a hair now, but not visible anymore (which is what I wanted). In some cars it sits lower than others (Ford build quality at its finest. Ha ha). At any rate, don't try to get it any lower than that, or if the force is too great, since too much could damage the shift lever. Good luck.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
M-7213-M8B
OK, well that’s the correct part. All I can think of are damaged threads. Maybe it was a return from someone who cross threaded it. Return it and get another one. Or try Elp_jc‘s method, but be careful.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Just go exchange it. Clearly something is defective. The bullit is the exact same shifter/transmission as a GT. The knobs are interchangeable.
Sponsored