Bullit giving false message

Massman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2004 Explorer Sport Trac, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Haven't had a chance to drive the Bullitt for a couple of weeks. When I started it today I got a warning to "change the oil soon". Also my seat memory buttons didn't work. Last time I drove it the ford pass gave me a readout on oil, fuel, etc. Today just the change oil message. I thought the battery might be low but I got no warning about that. Is there a reset I can perform? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Massman
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My guess is a low voltage gremlin indeed. But it's not low enough to trigger a low battery warning. Charge your battery, and re-set the seat memories, and it shouldn't happen again. As far as the oil change, it's based on 1 year or 10K miles, so it's probably the former in your case. You can reset it if you want.

I had a similar electronic gremlin, but for no reason. Happened when I replaced the battery with an AGM one. Clicked on a memory button to see if it was erased (it wasn't). It put the seat back to where it should be, but a second later, I heard the left mirror make an awful noise (TACK. TACK. TACK...), bouncing against the top limit. Took me a second or two to figure out what was happening, and what to do. After resetting the memory, it hasn't happened again. It was a very well known issue, but was supposedly fixed a while back. Guess not. Ha ha. Bottom line is with all the electronic crap on cars nowadays, gremlins like those are the norm... as long as they don't happen often. Good luck to both of us with that. Ha ha.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's no oil quality sensor. The oil life is estimated based on an algorithm that considers several things, like time since last change, miles driven, number of cold starts, driving style, and others. If you know for a fact that the oil has been changed recently and the message is definitely displayed in error, then they probably forgot to reset the counter when they did the last oil change. If, on the other hand, you're approaching one year or ten thousand miles since the last oil change, then the message may be correct even if you're not there yet, because your driving style and/or conditions may be harder than average on the oil.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, oil can age out based on time and not just miles. I think the cut off for the monitor is a year since it was last reset, then it gives you the message to change it no matter what.

OP
OP
Massman

Massman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2004 Explorer Sport Trac, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, oil can age out based on time and not just miles. I think the cut off for the monitor is a year since it was last reset, then it gives you the message to change it no matter what.
Thanks to everyone. I reset the seats and no problem. Called the dealer who told me how to reset that alert. Now I have to check to see if the Ford Pass is working. When I tried it yesterday (prior to reset) it would only give me the oil warning. Again thanks for getting back to quickly.
massman
Sponsored