Built vs. Bought pre-purchase decision

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I use my 2017 Ecoboost for work and run approx 25,000km per annum. Averaging 9/100km around town and down to 6 or so on the open road. Modded the car as per my signature over time and can thoroughly recommend the Cobb gear and their partner tuners. I have mine set-up for GT running rather than a drag car and it always makes me smile heading the the car park after work!
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Just traded my 17 GT PP, for a 19 base eco, couldn’t be happier, this is the car I should have gotten first! Lol! The car feels lighter and handles better than my GT did, and is more fun in town. I did drive the HHP eco as well, but I know I can improve the base to higher than HHP levels for less money.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Good morning,

I love my Bullitt, but I need to make a more rational decision for my normal use car. As such, I am seriously considering an ecoboost mustang as a replacement for my other car, a Focus

Unfortunately, ford released the HPP to tempt me so now I am left with a decision:
  • Purchase a new ecoboost and do some light bolt ons - adv power & some training
  • Purchase a new HPP ecoboost and trust ford - adv warranty
  • Purchase a low milage used 18-19 ecoboost bolt my heart out - adv moar powa? & lots of training

As this purchase is a bit away, I planed a price cap of 31k, but the 2020 HPP prices are already dropping so that is not helping my decision at all. All options would be an improvement in power / legroom over my focus, but the more I research this decision, the more I get a bit dizzy. I am actually tempted to go ranger because I would not have to make this decision.

Thoughts, comments, ideals on life?

Are you selling your 2019 Bullitt..?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Sounds like you're willing to mod, so if you want a cheap and fun daily driver, get a used EB for around $15K and get a used tuner, IC, and DP for under $1K, along with lighter wheels and better tires. A 4 banger in an engine bay sized for a V8 makes things easier to work on.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Are you selling your 2019 Bullitt..?
Good question. No. I am selling the oem suspension that came on it, but I do not ever plan to sell the bullitt. It is my dream car. Even though there are one or two tech things I would have liked to come stock, it will always have a special place in my heart / garage.

@Bull Run I get that IC is intercooler, but what is the DP for ?

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
DP is downpipe. The stock DP is one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust. An aftermarket DP will let the turbo breathe better, especially if the tune is tweaked for it.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Good question. No. I am selling the oem suspension that came on it, but I do not ever plan to sell the bullitt. It is my dream car. Even though there are one or two tech things I would have liked to come stock, it will always have a special place in my heart / garage.

@Bull Run I get that IC is intercooler, but what is the DP for ?
So you are going with a 2nd Mustang?

I suggest you go try a High Performance Package Mustang w/magneride.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Just traded my 17 GT PP, for a 19 base eco, couldn’t be happier, this is the car I should have gotten first! Lol! The car feels lighter and handles better than my GT did, and is more fun in town. I did drive the HHP eco as well, but I know I can improve the base to higher than HHP levels for less money.
Handles bettter than a GT PP? In your dreams man.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
guess you haven't driven one? The GT/PP is not all that. I own both and swap back and forth.
Ive drivin a base eco. I owned for 1 year. Its not going to out handle a performance variant model with 125 more hp. Get real

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
In defense if the updated EB, the suspension is setup similar to magniride in the pp trim. Chances are very good that the eb hpp / hphp should be a solid and balanced vehicle.

We will see more once people start autocrossing it.

@w3rkn the ecoboost will be my milage vehicle and the bullitt will be promoted to pure fun.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
Handles bettter than a GT PP? In your dreams man.

I know what is being referred to here. The steering on the gt pp feels boatlike next to an ebpp. I don't know what the official numbers are for road course and slalom and stuff but definitely the feel of the handling is better in the EBPP

Ive drivin a base eco. I owned for 1 year. Its not going to out handle a performance variant model with 125 more hp. Get real
Right a base eco is not an EBPP and handling has nothing to do with power output. The Ecoboost performance Package is also a performance variant.

That being said I recently test drove a gtpp2 with magneride and it blows both the EBPP and gtpp out of the water but that's a completely different story

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What does an engine have to do with handling..?
The reason the Ecoboost handles better, is because it's roughly 200lbs lighter in the front. Which means it doesn't plow corners, but carves them.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
What does an engine have to do with handling..?
The reason the Ecoboost handles better, is because it's roughly 200lbs lighter in the front. Which means it doesn't plow corners, but carves them.
If you have more power, you will be taking turns at higher speeds. I agree with the lighter front being noticable but that does not make it faster around the track at all.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
If you have more power, you will be taking turns at higher speeds. I agree with the lighter front being noticable but that does not make it faster around the track at all.
I'm not convinced you've ever driven a car...
Sponsored