Sponsored

Built vs. Bought pre-purchase decision

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Good morning,

I plan to retire my 05 focus for a new car in 12-18 months. I love my Bullitt, but I need to make a more rational decision for my normal use car. My focus is my daily that I have some fun in every now and again, but legroom has been an issue since purchase (14 years ago). As such, I am seriously considering an ecoboost mustang as a replacement. Unfortunately, ford released the HPP to tempt me so now I am left with a decision:

Purchase a new ecoboost and do some light bolt ons - adv power & some training

or

Purchase a new HPP ecoboost and trust ford - adv warranty

or

Purchase a low milage used 18-19 ecoboost bolt my heart out - adv moar powa? & lots of training

As this purchase is a bit away, I planed a price cap of 31k, but the 2020 HPP prices are already dropping so that is not helping my decision at all. All options would be an improvement in power / legroom over my focus, but the more I research this decision, the more I get a bit dizzy. I am actually tempted to go ranger because I would not have to make this decision.

Thoughts, comments, ideals on life?
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning,

I plan to retire my 05 focus for a new car in 12-18 months. I love my Bullitt, but I need to make a more rational decision for my normal use car. My focus is my daily that I have some fun in every now and again, but legroom has been an issue since purchase (14 years ago). As such, I am seriously considering an ecoboost mustang as a replacement. Unfortunately, ford released the HPP to tempt me so now I am left with a decision:

or

or

Purchase a low milage used 18-19 ecoboost bolt my heart out - adv moar powa? & lots of training

As this purchase is a bit away, I planed a price cap of 31k, but the 2020 HPP prices are already dropping so that is not helping my decision at all. All options would be an improvement in power / legroom over my focus, but the more I research this decision, the more I get a bit dizzy. I am actually tempted to go ranger because I would not have to make this decision.

The HPP is already at your $31k cap here in VA, with your 12-18 month timeline you should be able to get an end of the year deal on one that’ll probably kick the price down significantly, for example there’s a new blue 19 EcoBoost on a dealer lot near me for $21k.
If you are seriously considering a new ranger, I’d throw the F150 into the mix, the 3.5 GT EcoBoost, A10 and aluminum body panels make the F150 a delight to drive. I got my 17 F150 brand new for $31k and at 6’4” 220lbs it’s got plenty of leg room.

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
Good morning,

or

or

Rumor is Ranger Raptor is coming with the new 2020 Ranger on the Bronco/Ranger platform. The previous generation Ranger Raptor was not available in USA. IF your thinking Ranger.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Rumor is Ranger Raptor is coming with the new 2020 Ranger on the Bronco/Ranger platform. The previous generation Ranger Raptor was not available in USA. IF your thinking Ranger.
Damn it all! I know that hennessy is making the velociraptor, but i did not know ford was gonna try to pull the euro-raptor off stateside.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The HPP is already at your $31k cap here in VA, with your 12-18 month timeline you should be able to get an end of the year deal on one that’ll probably kick the price down significantly, for example there’s a new blue 19 EcoBoost on a dealer lot near me for $21k.
If you are seriously considering a new ranger, I’d throw the F150 into the mix, the 3.5 GT EcoBoost, A10 and aluminum body panels make the F150 a delight to drive. I got my 17 F150 brand new for $31k and at 6’4” 220lbs it’s got plenty of leg room.
Thanks for the suggestion, but i want to keep the daily down to 4 cyl. Lower warmup times and better fuel eco are considerations for this purchase.

That being said, i understand that leaning into the boost in any vehicle will nibble away at fuel eco and motor life.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
How much do you like wrenching?

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much do you like wrenching?
I can't make a job out of it with my skill level.

I had to keep my chevy / gmc multicolored truck running through high-school (back when gas was just over a buck). If I remember correctly, the most complex thing I did was replace the steering column, rack, and master cylinder. Back then the internet was an infant so I used chilton's manual for most if not all of my repairs. I am not a skilled mechanic, but I love learning new things... Keeps my brain fresh and out of trouble. I feel like I missed a lot of knowledge by keeping my focus stock. Of course, back then I was just starting my career and I did not have a lot of free time to wrench so... I think I made the right decision.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I had lots of fun modding my ecoboost (had two ecoboosts actually), test drove a few gts and owned a couple Boss 302s.

My next Mustang will be an ecoboost (hopefully the hpp but well see)

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
your not going to save that much more on gas going to a modded ecoboost. Dont really understand your reasoning.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
your not going to save that much more on gas going to a modded ecoboost. Dont really understand your reasoning.
You are right that constantly laying into a boosted 4 banger does not save you much, but a light peddle on my "good boy" days will result in better fuel eco for in town driving. Warm up times should also be shorter.

Sponsored

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
You are right that constantly laying into a boosted 4 banger does not save you much, but a light peddle on my "good boy" days will result in better fuel eco for in town driving. Warm up times should also be shorter.
I see,
but i think a ford focus would be faster, more nimble, and have better fuel consumption.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see,
but i think a ford focus would be faster, more nimble, and have better fuel consumption.
Legroom issues in focus. I tried test driving the 2018 and recognized that I had more room in my 04.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Buy a new or slightly used manual Eco boost, install a Cobb tune or Ford tune. That will be all the fun you need. Traded my prem. manual Eco i used for a comuter with 36k in 16 months. Car was a really fun car. I traded in on a 5.0 that I leave parked under a shed.
Eco boost are fun commuter cars.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy a new or slightly used manual Eco boost, install a Cobb tune or Ford tune. That will be all the fun you need. Traded my prem. manual Eco i used for a comuter with 36k in 16 months. Car was a really fun car. I traded in on a 5.0 that I leave parked under a shed.
Eco boost are fun commuter cars.
So ford or cob over the roush for an older used eco?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Cobb is the go to, and if you won't more check with Adam or Ryan for custom tunes, both have great customer feedback.
A stock Cobb's will perform as strong as HP Eco, but you will not get performance suspension package. Really don't think you need it for a commuter.
Sponsored