Sponsored

Builder hit the car

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
So getting some house work done, cue digger driver with his roll on skip.

what do you’s think - new quarter panel or could it be worked out. - taking it to a shop in the morning to see what they think.

320A6ACF-F178-46B1-B7E9-C6C4169160DE.jpeg

1C4CA813-1045-43E0-ADB1-CF9667D21C01.jpeg

7C34D4AB-8EC3-418B-87A8-1116057F60D8.jpeg
Sponsored

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
New quarter panel, but the bumper is probably repairable. For me I'd be claiming on the builders insurance and getting it done properly. No reason to skimp when their insurance covers it.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Got to be kidding me. What the heck is the builders problem ??

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The builder is a (insert expletives)!

I struggle to imagine how that could not have been avoided.
If you're dragging & throwing skips around. Then you ought to at least look before you start.
The builder should have done that & if there was any doubt. Just ask you to move your car.
Seemingly, totally avoidable & unecessary.

I'd take the car to a panel repairer first, to see if it can be corrected with hammers & pry bars, etc.
Having the rear quarter / most of the bodyside outer panel, cut out & replaced, would be my last resort.

Sorry about your car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The builder is a (insert expletives)!

I struggle to imagine how that could not have been avoided.
If you're dragging & throwing skips around. Then you ought to at least look before you start.
The builder should have done that & if there was any doubt. Just ask you to move your car.
Seemingly, totally avoidable & unecessary.

I'd take the car to a panel repairer first, to see if it can be corrected with hammers & pry bars, etc.
Having the rear quarter / most of the bodyside outer panel, cut out & replaced, would be my last resort.

Sorry about your car.
can't take it anywhere at the minute to be honest, the metal work is bent so far in its scraping the tyre when i try to drive it.

have a place coming out to recover it today.

absolute ball ache

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
This is a real difficult one as going through insurance I suspect that its going to be a new quarter panel.

If this was my car obviously I would want it repaired properly - BUT, I would be really upset to having to have a new quarter panel cut and welded in, and on the other hand it would p*** me off if the panel was beaten out and then had filler in it.

I think this is going to be a really difficult one and I think the repair costs with a new quarter panel are going to be the best part of £3k to £4k.

Most garages now use a system called Audatex and email details to the insurance company, I would ask the garage for this as it sets out all new parts to be fitted along with the exact works and a breakdown of the costs.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
on the other hand it would p*** me off if the panel was beaten out and then had filler in it.
This ^ I can't really comment on the new panel vs beaten/repair argument. But if going down the panel beating route, all I'd say is make sure it goes to a highly skilled body shop if that is the case, and insist on paint depth readings to ensure any filler used is minimal (as it should be).

OP
OP

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it was just picked up there now, taken it off to body shop for estimate / see what they recommend.

I've shown it to 2 of my mates who work in car garages and thus far the general consensus from them is that its a new quarter panel

i'm not bothered either way really, i just want it to look as new when it comes back

i had just purchased new axle nuts to sort out that annoying fking creaking sound as well and was about to fit them on friday when this happened.

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Took a quick look at the list.

The spoiler gets a couple of mentions.
So I'd check the task list to avoid duplication.
Also unsure why window switches need to be removed from the door trim panel. Shirley the door trim comes off as one, unplug connectors and cable, to facilitate door removal.

Not sure why they're mentioning the 'A' pillar. I'd expect the cut to be just forward of the top of the 'B' pillar, through the cant rail.

Hope it all goes well for you.

OP
OP

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took a quick look at the list.

The spoiler gets a couple of mentions.
So I'd check the task list to avoid duplication.
Also unsure why window switches need to be removed from the door trim panel. Shirley the door trim comes off as one, unplug connectors and cable, to facilitate door removal.

Not sure why they're mentioning the 'A' pillar. I'd expect the cut to be just forward of the top of the 'B' pillar, through the cant rail.

Hope it all goes well for you.
sounds like they are bulking it out as it’s an insurance claim - not sure

I was more surprised that the fuel tank was being dropped out -and the roof re wrapped

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
sounds like they are bulking it out as it’s an insurance claim - not sure

I was more surprised that the fuel tank was being dropped out -and the roof re wrapped
Good spot!

I can't think why they'd need to remove the fuel tank??

The rear quarter is part of the bodyside outer panel. It's usually one of if not the largest panels on a car, the roof panel on an estate car being another large panel.

IME, the bodyside panel will be spot welded to the roof panel along the roof ditch.
I'd expect the replacement to possibly involve cutting the bodyside panel along the roof ditch.

However, in this video, you can see they cut through the rear quarter at the glass mounting flange and part way down the 'B' pillar, which is another way to achieve a replacement.
I'm not entirely convinced about cutting through a glass mounting flange.
But then, I don't repair them, I design them.

Zander13 BDYSD repair#1.JPG

OP
OP

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe they are expecting to damage the roof wrap etc.
and maybe they need to tank out to be doing spot welding or something

either way, the place that estimated there is pretty shit - i handed it over to a crash management company now and have asked them to take it to ford. At least that way it'll be somewhere who's used to dealing with it / will have ford factory paint etc. as it looks like a big job
Sponsored