Sponsored

Broke my auto shifter last night

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Well I broke my auto shifter in what seems a very bizarre way last night. I have a shifter setup similar to White Madness where you push the shift knob down to shift out of park. Its been on the car for over 2 years with no problems but last night I backed into my driveway as I always do and stopped short of the garage. My drive has a slight downhill grade. I put the car in park, shut off and went into the house.
When I got back in and started the car to move it I couldn't push the shifter down to shift out of park. I finally had to remove the shift knob and using a rubber mallet, hammer the button down to get the shifter to move. This broke a white plastic part that seem to act as the lockout when you don't have your foot on the brake and try to shift.
I had just got my car from the body shop a few days before and initially blamed them for somehow breaking the shifter by not knowing to push down and forcing it into gear but later examination shows that somehow the plastic lockout didn't disengage when I put my foot on the brake.
I'm wondering if the car being parked on a downhill jammed up the mechanism. I did not set the parking brake and the trans took all the holding force. Has anyone had this happen to them? I now have the shifter working but it no longer has the foot-on-brake lockout working. The shifter can be pulled out of park without the engine on or foot on the brake.
I ordered a new shifter assembly from Autonation and a new Barton shift knob assembly. When it all comes in I'll disassemble everything and find out what really happened. I'll post pics this weekend.
From now on I need to get in the habit of setting the parking brake when parked on grades.
Sponsored