BREAKING: EU MY2021 starts Jan 2021, dropping Ecoboost engine

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Of course everyone wants it. But not everyone can afford to own it, with our absurd taxes and fuel prices and all. Bulgaria is a fortunate exception, which is why, as you're probably aware, many Romanians used (and still use) to register their cars in Bulgaria. You still have reasonable taxes. Ours are absolutely insane.
Sponsored

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@Vlad Soare I totally agree on your point of view on the Ecoboost - it already got shut down in Denmark in 2019 due to when people are ordering a Mustang they're not going half the way.. they want the "real deal".

Also your point of Ford stopping the EU sales... It was fun while it lasted but with the new emissions rules here and the way they put new regulations up for the dealers when selling Gretha-unfriendly vehicles, I just think we need at least some hybrid in the Mustang to keep it living.

Last but not least about the MY2021 - I think you're looking at it wrong with production from January 4th and delivery in beginning of March.
We agree on the 7 month delivery but remember most of that time is queue for your vehicle to be produced.
As soon as your car hits the build date the 2 month delivery is prettt much correct.
My car has gotten a build date of June 24th and if that holds up it will be ready at the Danish dealer on August 24th (plus/minus a couple of days)
If we look o the whole process from ordering to delivery - then yes - half a year or 7 month is normal.

@Ace - instead of a new post I'll just tag you in this. I agree with yout point of view on the delivery is around 2 month from build date. :like:

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Wow... Imagine that.... So you are telling me that the only reason for the EB existing (overseas markets) didn't pan out and is now being dropped due to poor sales? How did that one work out for you Ford??:crazy:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They offer the GT with a 3.5 liter Ecoboost. Though that's a rather theoretical point, because I don't think they actually sell many of those here, if any.
I don't foresee a 3.5 EB in a Mustang in the near future. It would compete not only with the Coyote, but also with the GT - why pay a huge amount of money for an unusable car, when you can have a usable one with the same engine for a reasonable price?

Wow... Imagine that.... So you are telling me that the only reason for the EB existing (overseas markets) didn't pan out and is now being dropped due to poor sales? How did that one work out for you Ford??:crazy:
I don't think overseas markets were the only reason for the existence of the EB. I think they meant the EB simply as a replacement for the V6. I think it would have existed even if they hadn't sold the Mustang overseas at all. After all, there are many Ecoboosts in Ford's line-up, even in vehicles which are not sold overseas (e.g. F-150).
As for the reason why they're dropping it, we can only guess at it.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One reason for removing is of course sales and I would think the overall fleet C02 emissions above the target would decrease? Going over to hybrids and E-cars on more cars on the fleet having a V8 could cut it

I have seen one ecoboost out several hundred GTs:)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Florida, it’s flooded with EB’s due to the rental car market - loads of them in the Disney car parks and universal parking garages. From a tourist perspective, I was well into my second week before seeing a 2015+ GT on the road ...

WD :like:

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yeah, these articles are absolute bs and not understanding anything how car homologation works in europe. Just a few nodes:
  • The supra is not banned, they just have to match the car to the emission laws. Seems like Toyota is not capable to do that for the GR without losing a lot of power. This has nothing to with Europe banning the GR or demanding a reduce of power. It's just Toyota not interested in making the full power possible. The Mustang GT is offered in Europa, fulfilling all regulations and not losing any noticable power.
  • Chevy was never banned from Europe. From September 2018 all new registered cars had to fulfil the new WLTP emission tests in europe. Chevy decides it is not worth it for their european models, since they had to add a gasoline particle filter, pay for completely new homolgations, etc - This also has nothing to do with engines sizes, even some small cars like Polo got models stopped for a while until the carmaker tested them for WLTP. So Chevy did not move to the Camaro refresh in Europe but got a exemption to sell prebuild MY2018 Camaro until September 2019 and started selling the refresh this year again. And C7 was stopped since C8 was already on the way, the C8 is already announced for Europe.
  • Chevrolet switched strategy for their new cars, so you don't get EU homologated models (with bigger mirrors, etc), but final cars imported from usa (or maybe kanada for kph gauges)
  • There are no bans of cars in Europe at all. Even though EU Homolgation is pretty strict, you can always import any car you want. Imported cars don't have as strict regulations as EU homolgations. So while Chevy did not sell the EU Camaro and C7, you always could just buy an imported 2019 Camaro or C7. You can always import the 380hp US Supra. You can also always buy a Shelby GT500, ZL1 1LE, etc even if they wouldn't stand a chance in a real EU homolgations. You may have to adress some things to fulfill sound and emissions laws and minor stuff like orange turn signals, but the import dealers know what to do to get the cars on the street.
You will also find bs articles like "ZL1 1LE is not allowed in europe!" - Yeah the frontend would not pass EU homolgations. But the regular ZL1 is not offered in Europe from Chevy at all, so your only chance is go to an import dealer, who easily sell you a ZL1 1LE too.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
If you still want a MY2020, you can order it until June 26th.
I was thinking about this point.... this means that the reveal of the MY2021 redesign will be within the next 2 weeks - I guess :like:

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I was thinking about this point.... this means that the reveal of the MY2021 redesign will be within the next 2 weeks - I guess :like:
Yes, combined with the announcement of the full Mach 1 reveal in Spring I think we can be sure that MY2021 will be fully revealed in the upcoming days or weeks :beer:

Not in Europe. Two months is the bare minimum for the models manufactured in Spain, if you're lucky - usually it's about three, unless nothing unexpected happens. There's no way they can achieve that with the Mustang, which has to cross the ocean first, then go to Belgium for fine tuning. The normal waiting time for 2020MY, before the corona crisis, was seven months. I doubt they can reduce that to just two and a half. I would be thrilled if that were possible, but I really doubt it.
Maybe the deliveries take way longer in your country. But current MY2021 european Mustangs for Germany with a production date schedueled for July are expected to arrive at the dealer before September

Sponsored

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Here's where that 3rd August date comes from:

https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/f...4n_pZp_OQ802sgVG_2dL9vbB6_cZ0Qi5Mf9kNWnONB2HU

The news comes to us from a UAW memo that recently made its way online, revealing that a handful of U.S. Ford assembly plants will go with a one-week summer shutdown this year, as opposed to the typical two-week shutdown. The plants that will trim their stoppage time to one week include:

This has absolutely nothing to do with any change in the lineup. It has everything to do with Covid19 and the fact that there are not enough cars on the lots and basically they are adding a week of production to make up for all the time sitting idle or making ventilators. Almost every car manufacture that I have read is doing this.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You're absolutely right, the reduction from two weeks to one week is because of the significant downtime the plant has already had. However, they will still use that week to do any retooling/changes required for the change to the '21MY.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Not in Europe. Two months is the bare minimum for the models manufactured in Spain, if you're lucky - usually it's about three, unless nothing unexpected happens. There's no way they can achieve that with the Mustang, which has to cross the ocean first, then go to Belgium for fine tuning. The normal waiting time for 2020MY, before the corona crisis, was seven months. I doubt they can reduce that to just two and a half. I would be thrilled if that were possible, but I really doubt it.
Ace is right, 8 to 12 weeks is the regular lead time for the EU spec Mustang between build and delivery at the dealership. My car was built on September 14th and delivered at the dealership in NL on November 26. Perhaps you are confusing the lead time between build and delivery with the lead time between ordering and delivery. These are very different things. The lead time after ordering mostly depends on the amount of production slots that your specific country still has available in the global production allocation and when these slots are planned. Lack of available production slots can lead to massive extension in delivery time. There have been situations where two people order the same car on the same day in The Netherlands and Belgium and the car for the Dutch person arrived within 10 weeks whereas the Belgian buyer had to wait for 8 months. It's all a matter of available slots.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
V8 is selling 2:1 against the EB in Europe because everyone wants the real mustang
This is the reason why Ford Europe decided to keep the GT and kill off the EB. Overall the GT sells WAY better, except in some smaller countries with ridiculous emission taxes like Netherlands, Belgium, Danmark and Norway. Also when you offer a small volume car like this as a halo model you want to offer the undisputed real deal, not the semi real deal. Even though the EB handles better than the GT the V8 just can't be beat in the eye of the general public and Ford knows this. If Ford was forced to kill off one of the two in the US they would do the exact same thing without any hesitation.