Braking Issue.... Please Chime In

texas347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had my 2016 GT350 (Tech Pkg) for about a month now and have put 1,500 miles on the car. In several instances now, when braking from very high speeds, the car seems to get very light on the back end - and becomes rather unsettled. It feels like the car is swaying back and forth - You can feel the car shifting right then back to the left - needless to say this is a bit unnerving.

For those of you with a lot of experience, is it possible the brake bias is off or something is out of adjustment? Any suggestions on what to do? Obviously I'll take it to the dealer, but would like to be a bit informed as to possible causes before I do.
Sponsored

theman1990

1 arm, 4 cars, 0 autos
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech, GT350R
No that is just heavy braking... When ya have front tire and brakes with this much traction it allows the suspension to unload quite a bit onto the nose under heavy braking.

G-FORCE

PATRIOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
MANY
Which ""driving mode" is your car in when you feel this? Try other suspension and steering settings.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had my 2016 GT350 (Tech Pkg) for about a month now and have put 1,500 miles on the car. In several instances now, when braking from very high speeds, the car seems to get very light on the back end - and becomes rather unsettled. It feels like the car is swaying back and forth - You can feel the car shifting right then back to the left - needless to say this is a bit unnerving.

For those of you with a lot of experience, is it possible the brake bias is off or something is out of adjustment? Any suggestions on what to do? Obviously I'll take it to the dealer, but would like to be a bit informed as to possible causes before I do.
Could be a loose or faulty suspension component, such as a tie rod end or sway bar link.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Homies, his car isn't bouncing up and down, it's yawing left to right.

OP, is it a swaying feeling or more of a high frequency shudder?

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
I have just a little over 9000 miles on my car I don't think your car is at fault.

Road condition will affect how the car reacts to high speed stops. If there is a swale or crown in the road it can upset the car on hard braking. I have experienced the same thing showing a few friends how hard the car brakes in my car. It's an unsettling feeling but the car was always in my control. By the way most roads in Michigan suck where I live.

Most race tracks don't have these irregularities.

OP try a different road in a safe spot to see any changes on how the car reacts.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I have just a little over 9000 miles on my car I don't think your car is at fault.

Road condition will affect how the car reacts to high speed stops. If there is a swale or crown in the road it can upset the car on hard braking. I have experienced the same thing showing a few friends how hard the car brakes in my car. It's an unsettling feeling but the car was always in my control. By the way most roads in Michigan suck where I live.

Most race tracks don't have these irregularities.

OP try a different road in a safe spot to see any changes on how the car reacts.
Damn, 9000 miles! Good for you sir :amen:

OP
OP

texas347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was in sport mode every time it has occurred. I let a friend drive the car yesterday and didn't say anything to him about the issue - he braked hard from about 110 mph and the car did the same thing - it wants to veer right and then back left and you can feel the rear of the car shifting. He is an experienced driver and he immediately commented on it. It almost feels like the brakes are not applying evenly - like perhaps the car is favoring one side and it is causing it to become upset.

It almost made me wonder if the rear brakes were even working since the back end felt the way it did. From lower speeds - say 70 or 80 mph - the issue is not noticeable. It seems to be at much higher speeds where weight transfer is more prevalent.

I agree on the road surfaces as that can make a difference but the last time the road was new and the surface should have been more than adequate for braking. I'm going to get under the car and likely head to the dealer - the issue becomes testing it out as it is a high speed issue and replicating the problem is difficult.

I appreciate the feedback. If anyone else has thoughts - let me know. I'm not well schooled in brakes so I wondered if there was a proportioning valve or some other part of the hydraulic system that could be causing the issue.

Sponsored

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
OP, I had mine on the track last month and after repeatedly braking from 130, I didn't observe anything like you have. No swerving, just solid braking at 1g+. I have a Track Pack, but the suspension and brakes should be the same. Also, I never experienced any fade.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350

Mine did this until I properly broke in the pads. Now its quite good, however I generally do not do a lot of emergency braking in a hard turn so all bets are off when the suspension is already loaded, unloaded with lateral inertia.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had my tech pack car at the track and didn't experience anything like this either. It's possible that tramlining due to depressions in the road is accentuated under hard braking.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Also just remembered something. Performed an emergency stop to avoid an accident a couple weeks ago, pretty good surface though, but there was zero yaw. Any other car and I might be dead as a matter of fact. It was from 90 ish though.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Not sounding normal to me. It is normal to unload the rear but, unless there is something in the pavement to upset the car, it should brake straight
Sponsored