mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION] has already had several track days and a couple auto-crosses. Hopefully he can comment on what wear he's seen already.
[MENTION=19164]ivanuke[/MENTION] I think also has a few track days?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Stock pads and fluid are adequate for HPDE events which typically are 30 mins or less per session per group anyway. Even if you run high speed nascar banks or tight hairpin turns and start scrubbing speed swiftly, the stock setup is consistently strong and reliable. Plus in almost any HPDE, it's seldom you'll get continuous repeated clean laps for a lengthy period because eventually you're bound to hit track traffic which obviously affects (e.g. slows down) your car's track performance.
I instruct or run advanced in DE groups, including private track days where the skill, equipment levels and speed are all up several notches. I'm not at all saying that the GT350 OE pads and fluids are not up to the task, because I simply have no experience with them on track. But, in my street car experience, OE standard pads and fluid are not up to the task. Its from that perspective that I'm asking these questions now, before I get the car on track.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
[MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION] has already had several track days and a couple auto-crosses. Hopefully he can comment on what wear he's seen already.
Definitely interested in their experiences!

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I instruct or run advanced in DE groups, including private track days where the skill, equipment levels and speed are all up several notches. I'm not at all saying that the GT350 OE pads and fluids are not up to the task, because I simply have no experience with them on track. But, in my street car experience, OE standard pads and fluid are not up to the task. Its from that perspective that I'm asking these questions now, before I get the car on track.

Thanks.
I have all the same questions as you. I have been searching to no avail for other options. I have been in contact with KNS Brakes about the availability of Hawk DTCs, but they said expect them to be at least a year out. Pad compounds tend to be very personal depending on driving style and experience. I have serious doubts that the stock pads will have the bite I like, but since I took delivery in mid-November and only have 300 miles on the car I don't have enough miles to have a feel for how they might be on track.

The one upside is mass over the S197 Boss/GTTP brakes. As you saw from the photo above, the overall mass of the pads is night and day. Also the front and rear rotors are 15.5"/15" versus 14"/11". Both cars weigh about the same so that difference in mass alone should provide better overall braking, even with a less aggressive compound. The one concern I have is the depth. I literally went through a full set of front pads every day running Time Trials at Road America in the Boss.

I will almost certainly upgrade the fluid. I ran Brembo HTC64 fluid the last two seasons, and ATE Typ200 (and Super Blue) for several years before that. Always bled each caliper before every event and never had it boil, even with extremely aggressive pad compounds. Both of those fluids have a much higher wet boiling point than the Motorcraft DOT4. I'm not saying the Motorcraft won't work, but I'd just like a little more room for error, especially once I find a more aggressive compound.

Nick from KNS said that he thought Carbotech would produce something if someone would send them a set of pads. Maybe they could get by with the dimensions shared above. I have several buddies that run Carbotech and love them, but I don't have any personal experience with them. You might contact him and pursue that option if that's a brand you like. I just haven't had time between work and working on getting the roll bar installed, but it's next on my list.

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
I havent had time to check out the pads, I will be back home in about a week and I will report my findings. I'll probably do two more track days then as well.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I did Homestead Speedway (advanced grp; nascar banks) and Sebring Raceway (full course; nov/intermed grp) and an autox event so far... brakes are pretty stout with the wear not bad at all. Not even halfway down yet. No issues with rotors neither. And brake fluid is still bright & clear. No brake fade, no mushiness, and no squeals. I'll take more pics next time I have the wheels off but here are 2 shots I was able to take so far...

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I did Homestead Speedway (advanced grp; nascar banks) and Sebring Raceway (full course; nov/intermed grp) and an autox event so far... brakes are pretty stout with the wear not bad at all. Not even halfway down yet. No issues with rotors neither. And brake fluid is still bright & clear. No brake fade, no mushiness, and no squeals. I'll take more pics next time I have the wheels off but here are 2 shots I was able to take so far...

Nice pic of the magneride!

What are your impressions of the material quality for bushings, control arms, wheel studs, etc.?

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Well that's encouraging. Ford claims the stock gear is up to the task, but we've heard that before ;) Of course this is the best track car they have built from the ground up and these are definitely some big boy rotors and calipers.

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
the stock pads lasted three novice track days. Road Atlanta killed them! (granted my instructor said I was the best novice student he'd had) parts guy thinks they can't take the temperature

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
cloud9
You know you need Hawks or PFC race compounds right? You will be changing OEM pads every 2 sessions.
Steve

Sponsored

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
cloud9
You know you need Hawks or PFC race compounds right? You will be changing OEM pads every 2 sessions.
Steve
:frusty: I just hope I don't take out a set of rotors trying to squeeze in that second session. Based on Black Boss' trip to VIR I'm afraid you're right. Well at least I got that fancy new piston spreader.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Somebody needs to come up with a stud/nut kit. Anti-seize and a lower torque figure may work well (safety wiring might be a consideration especially if no thread locker is used) with the existing factory caliper bolts but studs would be a much better long term solution.

jeenyus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Did my first pad change over the weekend. Old OEM pad is on the left. New OEM pad is on the right with the same part number. Looks like there have been some changes to reduce noise. Not sure if the new ones are an earlier or later revision (Style code seems to suggest the former).

As the first set of pads were largely squeal free I'm hoping I didn't take a step backwards. Anyone know which style is more recent? And comments on performance of one style over the other?

FWIW I got 4 track days and 9000 miles out of the set on the left.

6TxtAZol.jpg

m2ZDR55l.jpg