Sponsored

Boss 302 or Mach 1

Mustang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks Cobra Jet. I do love the sound of the 302, especially when using the Red Key. I also installed Borla Attak Cat Backs.

20210723_152455.jpg
You probably already know this but there is a resonator inside each of the side pipes. I bought an extra set of side pipes and had a muffler shop cut them open, remove the resonator and then weld them back together. Really loud but they sounded so good.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Wonder if the op expected all this well deserved BOSS 302 love. Sometimes you’ve already found what you think you’re still looking for. A lot of folks make that mistake every day.

OP
OP

mjscc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, GMC Yukon
I've owned a lot of Mustangs especially growing up in Dearborn, MI and both parents working for Ford. I still always appreciate the knowledge of other Ford Lovers and like getting different opinions. I think I would regret selling the Boss. By the way Beautiful Cyber Orange RedKey, and the same to IPOGT on the Velocity Blue. Two great colors for that car.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Keep the B302, if possible.

There's going to be an obvious difference between the S197 B302 and the S550 M1. Biggest difference is the S550 rides on an updated rear IRS, while the B302 was still old school straight axle with the added panhard bar.

Each vehicle in its own right has specific "likes" and "dislikes".

The B302 was designed and meant to feel "raw", it wasn't a cushy/electronics riddled vehicle - it was built for raw power and feeling the road. It didn't come with a nice stereo, doesn't have a display, and has essentially a very basic interior (no leather) with limited features.

The S550 is just refined, cushy, full of electronic do-dads, "luxury" soft touch interior padding/leather and more nannie's than any street driver needs.

IMO - as far as engine reliability - the 2012-2013 B302 Roadrunner is a more reliable engine than the Coyote variants after it. You don't hear of VCT issues, crank sprockets detonating/cracking/breaking teeth. oil pump gear failures, or any other common "S550" warranty issues that have plagued the S550 Coyote.

I'm not in any way saying the Coyote is a bad engine - all I'm saying is from being a member on multiple Mustang forums since the 90's and staying up on all Mustang design changes - the Roadrunner has been extremely reliable in both a daily driver and beat-the-snot out of it on a track. Even back tracking years into B302 specific threads on the B302 site, there's less engine "drama" with the 2012-13 Roadrunner B302 than there is now going on 8-years of S550 Coyote posts in this forum and other S550 forums combined. The Roadrunner is an extremely well built and very reliable engine that has had less problems than the Coyotes that came after it.

Sure anyone can get a new S550 M1 with all the fancy gadgets, electronics, plush interior, drive modes, and "softer" ride - that's a given.

What you can't get is the B302's unique "stripped" platform that was designed and meant to be raw, which gives the driver that experience of being able to feel the road beneath them. The unique B302 factory exhaust is another quality that isn't close to an S550's "active exhaust". The S197's also had less sound deadener which again gives the driver more overall attentiveness to what the car is doing and how it's doing it.

Again, each platform has its own uniqueness and quirks. There really isn't any comparison between the (2) because they are just so different on so many levels.

If the OP can keep the B302 and land an M1, more power to him (and that would be the ultimate garage pairing). Long term, the B302 will be more admired and sought after than the S550 M1. I'm saying that due to Ford's current thought process of producing a "limited edition" vehicle but starts popping off tens of thousands of them. Prior to the S550, "Limited Edition" was just that - where actual production was less than 5-10k per year for a given speciality model. Not the mass produced quantities being seen today.
And everything said here about the Boss is exactly why it's the only S197 I would dump my S550 for.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I already posted about trading the Boss but wanted to chime in one more time…

First, I am a HUGE 2013 Boss fan. Wanted to love it and test drove several about 3-4 years ago but eventually decided on a new 2018 GT.

I would really recommend driving the Boss to a dealer to test drive a Mach so you can get the truest back to back experience.

Also agree with @WCRookie99, sounds like a non-handling package Mach might be a better choice.

Yeah, the Boss is more raw than an S550. But so is a Fox body. Or a 1973. Sometimes raw just means outdated.

Having driven both, I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d prefer the Boss.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
@S550VIN54 , you have any advice?
All I can say is find one you can test drive and see if it will steal your heart. When I look back at my 2012 CO Boss it was the perfect daily/track car. God, I miss the side exhaust note at my ear when I laid into it. It was an amazing car at just over 3400 lbs w/ 444hp. I had 27k miles on it when I traded it for a 2015 50th annv wimbledon white auto. What the hell was I thinking!

Back to the M1 well you pretty much get all that and and lot more I think. I am in a very happy place now. Only you will really know! Good luck!!!

1669771369769.png

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I have had them all. Keep the Boss, especially if you bought it new. The Boss and the GT350 have tons of character that the Mach 1 just doesn’t have. I traded in my Boss that I bought new in 2019 and literally felt sick the next day. I wish I kept it. I own a Mach 1 and really like it, but I really appreciate the rawness of the Boss. My advice, buy the Mach and keep the Boss as well….a great pair to own.

OP
OP

mjscc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, GMC Yukon
I'd like to thank you guys for all the great input. I truly appreciate it. I'm here in MI with lousy weather ahead of us. The Boss is under cover with the trickle on her until early Spring. I'll still pursue driving a M1 at a local dealer if roads are still good. It's likely I'll keep the Boss and look into a low mileage 21 M1 come Spring. I'm not up to speed on options with this car but as I mentioned in previous post it'll be an automatic. The only other option I'd like is leather seats. What other options are available? Thanks again guys.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 is actually called either PP or HP depending on which option the Mach 1 has. There really is no “base”. Either it’s a Mach 1 or it isn’t.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I sold a 2002 WS6 Trans Am I owned for 16 years two years ago and just ordered a 6-speed Mach 1, just turned 63. I took the TA on 4 Power Tours, took it to Seattle, another trip o Yosemite and loved running the Colorado canyons in it. Part of the reason for buying the Mach was being able to flick a couple of switches and go storm canyons. The other, and this is a big one, the magnetic ride. It is rough on this old guy to face 3,4,5,6 hours of shitty highway banging your brains out in the TA. Flipping a switch and having everything go smooth and quiet...I voted with my wallet. for the 2023 Mach 1. (and I LOVED my TA)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2001 WS6 T/A. It was a beast. Lots of low end torque and different than the Mach 1. Traded that one in on my 2004 GT.

Last edited:

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I've driven S550 GTs but not a Mach 1 so I can't contrast and compare, yet.