BORLA® Exhaust for the GT350

Status
Not open for further replies.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks, how does the normal mode of these 3 systems compare? Can you put some #s, so for example:

Normal

Stock: 1
Borla: 3
Atak: 5

Sport

Stock: 5
Borla: 7
Atak: 10

I completely made these up, but you get the idea.

As for your explanation regarding ATAK, what many of us want is to keep the original stock sound as is because for us (and this is to each his own type of a thing), stock car is how the car is envisioned by FP and we want to keep it original and not change it. We just want it louder and maybe more aggressive, but if you were to blindfold a gt350 owner, he should still be able to identify the car as gt350, not something else. Hope that makes sense.

What I and many others really want is really the GT350R exhaust. No resonators, fully bolt on, no cutting/welding/clamping. The problem is that doesnt exist. I believe FP is probably the closest to this.

It would be great if Borla made a video for the FP, similar to how they made the ATAK video. It would also be very useful if a db reader was used so that we can see exactly how much louder the car is. This is important in race tracks which has db restrictions (like mazda raceway laguna seca).
When you ask how they compare and assign a number, is that for decibel level? I'm not sure I understand what the numbers represent. Decibel level tells only part of the story because the tonality of the note itself is equally important as far as how the human ear hears an exhaust note.

Also, simply using a db meter isn't enough. You need to reference a testing procedure that dictates elements like placement, orientation and distance of the db meter, stationary or moving test? If a moving test, what RPM, speed, gear etc. Altitude, temperature, barometric pressure all can affect these tests as well.

We have stationary test data. We have not tested our systems for the GT350 at Laguna Seca, though we have with our spec Miata systems and some others.

Every exhaust available for this car, whether the stock exhaust, aftermarket or otherwise uses a straight pipe for the loud circuit EXCEPT for Borla's ATAK exhaust which amplifies the decibel level and also makes a more aggressive note with our patented ATAK technology.

So, except for ATAK they're all pretty much sound the same in the loud position. Not much others can do with a straight pipe. ATAK is very unique in that way.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When you ask how they compare and assign a number, is that for decibel level? I'm not sure I understand what the numbers represent. Decibel level tells only part of the story because the tonality of the note itself is equally important as far as how the human ear hears an exhaust note.

Also, simply using a db meter isn't enough. You need to reference a testing procedure that dictates elements like placement, orientation and distance of the db meter, stationary or moving test? If a moving test, what RPM, speed, gear etc. Altitude, temperature, barometric pressure all can affect these tests as well.

We have stationary test data. We have not tested our systems for the GT350 at Laguna Seca, though we have with our spec Miata systems and some others.

Every exhaust available for this car, whether the stock exhaust, aftermarket or otherwise uses a straight pipe for the loud circuit EXCEPT for Borla's ATAK exhaust which amplifies the decibel level and also makes a more aggressive note with our patented ATAK technology.

So, except for ATAK they're all pretty much sound the same in the loud position. Not much others can do with a straight pipe. ATAK is very unique in that way.
Yes it's for decibels only.

I understand the sport mode is using a straight pipe. I am asking about the Normal mode. How much louder is your ATAK or standard Borla exhaust is compared to the stock exhaust in Normal mode?

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is it safe to say that the ford performance exhaust is the GT350R exhaust except 3" piping and no x pipe?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The FP/Borla system is 2.75" and has an X section.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is ATAK also 2.75" also has an X section?

Furthermore, is FP same as GT350R exhaust minus pipe size?
First question - yes.

Second question..."same?" Borla uses a better grade of stainless, the tubes have smoother bends in them for better flow, the "X" sections are completely different, the Borla mufflers are better too.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
First question - yes.

Second question..."same?" Borla uses a better grade of stainless, the tubes have smoother bends in them for better flow, the "X" sections are completely different, the Borla mufflers are better too.
I did not mean "same" to undermine Borla. I am trying to get a sense of "tone" of these exhausts.

I meant to say the ford performance exhaust is the closest GT350R sounding exhaust that fully bolts on without cutting anything, correct? ATAK has a different tone all together because of the different technology. I understand Borla's ford performance exhaust has a far superior design and elements.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock system sounds good, even better in "loud" mode.
The R system is slightly louder normally and has a bit more Beast in loud mode.
The FP/Borla system is similar to the R in both modes, but the tone is different to a semi-trained ear.
The ATAK is what you want if you want it to WAIL in loud mode.

No cutting with the FP or ATAK systems.

That's it. Finito.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The FP/Borla system is similar to the R in both modes, but the tone is different to a semi-trained ear.

That's it. Finito.
Which one do you have?

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

That's it. Finito.
I thought FP maintained the stock tone but was louder and raspier and ATAK changed the tone?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Borla Atak sport fly by Barber MSP tower from wot and let off before turn 1
[ame]

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which one do you have?
Ford Racing system by Borla.

I thought FP maintained the stock tone but was louder and raspier and ATAK changed the tone?
I simply can't explain it anymore than I have up above and in other threads. The hierarchy of systems and variances therein have been laid out as clearly as I can make them.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ford Racing system by Borla.

I simply can't explain it anymore than I have up above and in other threads. The hierarchy of systems and variances therein have been laid out as clearly as I can make them.
You did yes but in one of your posts you said "different tone" for the FP exhaust, thats why the follow up question came up because we are all under the impression that FP exhaust maintains the stock tone but is louder.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You did yes but in one of your posts you said "different tone" for the FP exhaust, thats why the follow up question came up because we are all under the impression that FP exhaust maintains the stock tone but is louder.
You can not replicate the stock exhaust note unless you use the stock system. The acoustics change once you change pipe diameter, bends, x-pipe, etc... If you want the same exact note you need to keep the stock system.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.