Sponsored

Boost Control, CO2 vs Compressed Air + EBC

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't need closed loop dome pressure boost control so AMS is out of the question. I'd like to use the boost controller that I already have. Has anyone here done this? Please impart some knowledge.
Sponsored

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Lol so no one knows?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
To be honest, I'm not clear on what your question is. I run a boost leash using manifold pressure, no C02 or compressed air. It works fine for what I am doing. If it were a more track focused car, I would run a C02 setup.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I don't need closed loop dome pressure boost control so AMS is out of the question. I'd like to use the boost controller that I already have. Has anyone here done this? Please impart some knowledge.
Not sure what info you are looking for specifically but C02 is simpler IMO. 4lb bottle lasts forever for boost control and air shifters. If you run out, simply have less boost as a result. On board air takes up space in the trunk, pumps are noisy and cheap with somewhat high failure rate. 15A additional draw on a new circuit needed. Add that to the 75a total for your fuel pumps. On board air kits don't seem to have a condensate drain on the tank. Just a few things to consider.

Sponsored

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To be honest, I'm not clear on what your question is. I run a boost leash using manifold pressure, no C02 or compressed air. It works fine for what I am doing. If it were a more track focused car, I would run a C02 setup.
I want to be able to use a 5 lb gate spring but go up to 20+ lbs of boost without changing the spring. Hence the reason for a compressed air / CO2 setup.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not sure what info you are looking for specifically but C02 is simpler IMO. 4lb bottle lasts forever for boost control and air shifters. If you run out, simply have less boost as a result. On board air takes up space in the trunk, pumps are noisy and cheap with somewhat high failure rate. 15A additional draw on a new circuit needed. Add that to the 75a total for your fuel pumps. On board air kits don't seem to have a condensate drain on the tank. Just a few things to consider.
How long does your bottle last...
There is an explosion risk with CO2 bottles

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
How long does your bottle last...
There is an explosion risk with CO2 bottles
I use a 4lb bottle for an air shifter. Ran it all year thus far and have used maybe 6oz out of 4lbs. I suppose there is an explosion risk, but there are all kinds of risks associated with your car. Fuel tank, big power, engine taking a shit, crashing etc. Where does an exploding bottle rank in that list?

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Also @80FoxCoupe how do you have your setup ran
I use a 4lb bottle for an air shifter. Ran it all year thus far and have used maybe 6oz out of 4lbs. I suppose there is an explosion risk, but there are all kinds of risks associated with your car. Fuel tank, big power, engine taking a shit, crashing etc. Where does an exploding bottle rank in that list?
Dunno where it ranks, I have my reservations about having it in the compartment with me.
I do know if it does rupture it will be hard to see.

I like the simplicity of it. I am leaning that way for sure.

If you take a boost controller (any EBC) and use it for gate dome pressure, the only thing it can read is what you put on the dome, which isn't actual boost. I guess I'll be needing to keep my boost gauge to see where we are.

What is should the regulated pressure be on this kind of setup, it only has to be as high as the maximum level of boost ran correct?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

Dunno where it ranks, I have my reservations about having it in the compartment with me.

If you take a boost controller (any EBC) and use it for gate dome pressure, the only thing it can read is what you put on the dome, which isn't actual boost. I guess I'll be needing to keep my boost gauge to see where we are.

What is should the regulated pressure be on this kind of setup, it only has to be as high as the maximum level of boost ran correct?
I'm unsure on this, I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

My boost leash shows what dome pressure I am putting on the gates as well as the boost pressure. You will have to play with it as it is not a linear curve. 5 psi on the dome may get you 8psi of boost. Adding an additional 5psi of dome pressure most likely will not result in an additional 5psi of boost. Every combination is different and you will need to determine how much dome pressure is needed to get to your desired boost level. The more boost you want the higher the dome pressure will need to be. Back pressure will become a factor at some point. You may need 30 psi on the dome to see 20psi of boost. I would set the regulator significantly higher than your desired level of boost.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My boost leash shows what dome pressure I am putting on the gates as well as the boost pressure. You will have to play with it as it is not a linear curve. 5 psi on the dome may get you 8psi of boost. Adding an additional 5psi of dome pressure most likely will not result in an additional 5psi of boost. Every combination is different and you will need to determine how much dome pressure is needed to get to your desired boost level. The more boost you want the higher the dome pressure will need to be. Back pressure will become a factor at some point. You may need 30 psi on the dome to see 20psi of boost. I would set the regulator significantly higher than your desired level of boost.
That's what I'm looking for. I see 60 psi getting used but didn't know if that was necessary, don't want to damage a diaphragm with too much dome pressure. Boost Leash will allow closed loop because it has two map sensors: This is why I'm thinking about running a boost gauge still.

Don't wanna buy two boost controllers for nothing.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
My old fox body... And my buddies current Camaro. Just didn't want you to think I was guessing. Lol

66.jpg
66.jpg
68.jpg
1000002306.jpg
1000002306.jpg
1000002403.jpg
66.jpg
68.jpg
1000002306.jpg
1000002403.jpg

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Sorry for the duplicate pictures. Not sure why that happened.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Sorry for the duplicate pictures. Not sure why that happened.
Fake! Forum rules state you must have a piece of paper with you screen name and date next to pics!

Lol jk
Sponsored