mtb5020

Car RamRod
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Took the time this weekend to install a pair of BMR LCA Bearings. And it was a significant amount of time. Here is a link to the items described http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1574.

Let me just start by saying, for a 13 step project, this install took me longer than the MGW shifter install, which had an hour long install video instructional. By the time I was done, I was beat, hands like swiss cheese, and totally satisfied. Great hobby to have.

Rather than a conventional DIY, here is a play by play using the instructions from BMR's website.

BK055 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
INSTALLATION:

1. Lift vehicle and safely support with jack stands
under the rear cradle.

-Done, no problem at all. cake.

2. Remove the wheels/tires to gain access to the work
area.

-Again, no problem. This is easy.

3. Remove the lower shock bolts using a 15mm
socket.

-Not bad, easy access. This will be a breeze!

4. Remove the bottom bolt on the vertical link using
an 18mm socket.

-Remember doing this to install the BMR vert links, only twice as easy because only one bolt comes out! Man, I'll have this done by lunch.

5. Remove the lower sway bar end link nut using a
15mm socket.

-Bit of an issue, the nut is ny-locked and spins the bolt. Nothing a set of vicegrips can fix, be gentle tho, I clamped down on the gasket and liberated a bunch of grease from inside. This will probably squeak sooner rather than later. Plus I now have grease to lube the LCA for inserting the BMR bearing, bonus!

6. Remove the outer bolt on the lower control arm
using a 21mm socket.

-This thing is torqued down pretty good. Nothing my "motivator" can't handle. The "motivator" is the steel shaft from the jack, very handy for extra leverage.

7. Remove both inner bolts on the lower control arm
using a 24mm socket,

-The first snags have been hit, and it came in spades. The rearmost bolt could not be reached with the exhaust on, removed exhaust. From there no problem. If that was the biggest issues, this install was looking pretty. Just after that relief, the front most bolt was inaccessible. Had to remove the spring and shock to gain access. After that, the LCA was holding on for dear life, had to pull down on the LCA while going full "motivation" on this bolt. I don't know what this bolt is torqued to, but I felt like I was on my last set of deadlifts at the gym. Pretty sure the car was going to flip over before the bolt let loose. Finally, the bolt began turning. Much to my surprise, this bolt is quite long, and requires great effort to remove the rest of the way. These two bolts cost me an hour and about 3 pints of sweat. Great success after as the LCA came out just after! Success! Can only get easier from here, I thought...

BK055 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
8. Lower the arm out of the mounts and set the
spring aside.

-Easy, basically fell out because I had already removed the spring.

9. Using either a hydraulic press or the BMR tool
BRT001, press out the factory bushing. If using the
BMR tool, please follow the directions that come
with the tool.

-This was the holy grail of challenges. Getting the stock bushing out was a task set for the Hulk. And maybe Thor. Or both. I wrenched on a manual bearing press for an hour trying to get it to budge. Clamped everything down, "motivated" the wrench, and nothing. Took everything outside, put the LCA on the grass, stood on the LCA while my friend pulled on the motivator. Nothing, not a budge. Decided it would be a good time for lunch. After lunch I remembered directions for installing the FRPP IRS bushings and how to remove the factory ones. Remove rubber portion, cut bushing sleeve, remove. Attempted to sawzall the rubber out to no avail, just kept burning and grabbing the blade. Decided to take the bearing press to force out the rubber portion. After significant effort, the rubber portion popped out. With additional effort, the sawzall was able to score the outer bushing sleeve. With an old, now defunct, flat head screwdriver, I pounded on the sleeve until it separated and pushed it out. Success! one factory bushing removed and "no" (in my opinion) damage to the LCA. How is it 70* F in Philadelphia in December? Oh yeah, because I removed the AC unit from the garage and the weather just knew I would be tackling this install. Less 5 pints of sweat. For those of you keeping track, that's a total of 8 pints from one LCA.

10. Once the factory bushing has been removed, smear
some oil onto the inside of the bore then press the
BMR bearing assembly into the control arm.

-Once the factory bushing was removed, I took the liberty of sanding the inside contact surface with some fine grit sandpaper. This removed the rust and what appeared to be factory red locktite. No wonder that beast was not to be lodged from its home. Used the grease from the sway bar link gasket squeeze and some WD-40 to lube this up. Grabbed the BMR bearing from the freezer and popped it in with the bearing press. No issue, very satisfying. And then, the snap ring.

11. Once the BK055 is pressed into place, put the
provided external snap ring onto the groove of the
bearing assembly.

-Why so big snap ring? Don't have large enough snap ring pliers. After messing with this, spent another 45 minutes dropping by Harbour freight for a cheap, quick solution.

12. Repeat steps 3-11 for the other side.

13. Re-assemble the suspension.

-Steps 12 and 13, f*ck you.

After 8 hours of some serious wrenching, the BMR bearings are in. Now this process and my struggles are largely related to the available tools on hand. I'm sure a hydraulic press and proper supply of sockets would have cut install time down by 50-75%. All in all, it was a great time and these bearings seem to do the most for front end lift of all the installs so far. Highly recommended and worth the challenges of install. Thanks again to BMR (@BMR Tech) for a solid product that installed and fit perfectly. Perfectly. Now on to the FRPP toe link bearings...

Pictures:
1. Factory LCA bearing in
2. LCA removed
3. LCA removed
4. LCA out
5. LCA and BMR Bearing
6. LCA and BMR up close
7. LCA and factory bearing
8. LCA and manual press
9. Press set up with "motivator"
10. Rubber removed
11. Outer factory bearing sleeve bent
12. Sawzall scored outer bushing sleeve
13. Naked LCA bearing housing
14. Lubed up and ready to go
15. BMR bearing in
16. BMR bearing installed and LCA back in
17. Other side BMR bearing in

Plenty of pictures, needed breaks.
factory in.JPG
LCA OUT.JPG
LCA OUT 2.JPG
LCA OUT 3.JPG
LCA AND BMR.JPG
LCA and factory next.JPG
LCA FActory.JPG
press.JPG
motivator 2.JPG
wrenching.JPG
wrench 2.JPG
score.JPG
freedom.JPG
sanded and lubed.JPG
BMR in.JPG
BMR on car.JPG
other side bmr in.JPG
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Nice write up! Sounds like one of my 'adventures'. :)

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Oh man.

This made my night. Something about the way you word your struggles, puts a grin on my face. Of course, it may have to do with the fact that I "have felt your pain" - but nonetheless, I really enjoyed reading this post.

I know you will enjoy them. ;)

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
[MENTION=19690]mtb5020[/MENTION] Thanks for the write-up! do you have any more details on how you dealt with the snap ring?

OP
OP
mtb5020

mtb5020

Car RamRod
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=19690]mtb5020[/MENTION] Thanks for the write-up! do you have any more details on how you dealt with the snap ring?
I went and bought large snap ring pliers from harbour frieght for $12. And then dominated that snap ring.

Sponsored

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
Difference in car ? BMR says this bearing will cut out a lot a wheel hop. I have the differential and cradle lockout and they told me I still have wheel hop because I haven't replaced this bearing yet. They said this was the last step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
Difference in car ? BMR says this bearing will cut out a lot a wheel hop. I have the differential and cradle lockout and they told me I still have wheel hop because I haven't replaced this bearing yet. They said this was the last step.

Same here. They recommend this before vertical links and toe rods.

OP
OP
mtb5020

mtb5020

Car RamRod
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

I don't have any answers for you at this time, haven't had time to hook up the LVDT and accelerometer to check movement and vibrations. I've got the Ford toe link bearing to install before testing, but it is getting cold up here. Might be a while. From what I can feel "seat of the pants" it feels more planted and stable. Would agree with BMR. Cradle and IRS solid bushings with solid bearings have the greatest impact. With the PP the toe links are pretty rigid and the vert links ok. Also, Kelly mentioned the price on these jumping up next year, if I were you, I'd order a pair. Out of everything I've installed, these would seem to have the largest impact.

OP
OP
mtb5020

mtb5020

Car RamRod
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Same here. They recommend this before vertical links and toe rods.
I'd save some cash if I were you and get the FRPP toe link bearings instead of the adjustable toe rods. They are cheaper and will probably (testing soon, trust [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION]) have a larger impact on movement in the rear. The stock PP toe links have enough adjustment for my purposes and are pretty solid. If I were to do it over, wouldn't have purchased the toe rods. Matter of fact, I might be listing them for sale soon. Or trade.

FRPP toe link bearings:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-knuckle-toe-link-bearing-1516.html

My best setup for eliminating rear end movement is:
BMR LCA bearings. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...574&superpro=0

FRPP Toe link bearings. http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-k...ring-1516.html

BMR Aluminum Diff bushings. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...545&superpro=0

BMR Delrin IRS bushings. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...503&superpro=0

I measure movement with an LVDT and NVH/movement with an accelerometer. Move the items around depending on what I am testing. The difference between the diff lockout pucks from BMR and stock is pretty substantial (less than 1.72 mm vs 9.23 stock). Solid bushings even better, but a whole hell of a lot more work to get in, must remove whole IRS. I check for noise increases with an impact microphone hooked up to my computer to measure decibel levels. In all scientific measures, noise has not been increased with any of the mods listed above. However, I have an MBRP race exhaust that probably makes more noise than anything. Some errant squeaks can be heard, but nothing major. As for vibration, I can feel a little more in the shifter, but that is about it. Covered my MGW shifter in extra dynamat and its barely noticeable.

Again, I have yet to test the LCA and FRPP toe link bearings, yet. Seat of the pants for now.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Great writeup! I'm going to attempt this soon. The only time that I have removed a bearing like this before was on our radar trailer in the Army. That was a complete nightmare...I almost taped a grenade to it.

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Ha! Well, enjoy. The Sawzall trick might save you from digging out an old ordinance and applying it to your LCAs.
Lol, yeah, I might give the sawzall a try. I'm ordering a 6 ton press for this install.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
May wanna bump that up a little....

6 ton may not cut it.

Just saying.