BMR camber bolt question

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I installed the FRPP track handling kit and put on camber bolts as well (1 per side).

Just went for an alignment, but they said they can't adjust the front camber with the bolts, because the bottom ones are splined.

Are you supposed to grind the splines off before the adjustment? Thanks!
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sounds like a good reason to get the plates instead, particularly if there's going to be any track time in this car's future.

Norm

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I'm getting alot of conflicting info from my tech and BMR. Tech says they can't adjust camber because the spline bolt is not letting it move. He rotates the bolt and nothing is adjusted, however BMR said that we should be able to with the bottom splined bolt in.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'm getting alot of conflicting info from my tech and BMR. Tech says they can't adjust camber because the spline bolt is not letting it move. He rotates the bolt and nothing is adjusted, however BMR said that we should be able to with the bottom splined bolt in.
Bmr is correct. You have to install the camber bolts in the proper orientation with the washer positioned as shown in the instruction.

If it's not installed properly the camber bolt will rotate and won't move the top of the spindle in and out. The bottom splined bolt needs to be loose. The small tab on the washer needs to be lined up with the cam.

I wouldn't let that tech touch my car if he can't figure out a camber bolt. This diagram should help him.

20201013_103920.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Bmr is correct. You have to install the camber bolts in the proper orientation with the washer positioned as shown in the instruction.

If it's not installed properly the camber bolt will rotate and won't move the top of the spindle in and out. The bottom splined bolt needs to be loose.

I wouldn't let that tech touch my car if he can't figure out a camber bolt.
Gotcha, thanks! For clarification, when you say the bottom splined bolt should be loose, do you mean just loosen the nut, or slightly tap it out?

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
He's probably just going to have to loosen that splined bolt (which involved loosening the 250+ft lbs of torque on the nut, backing it off to be flush with the end of the stud, and then banging on the backed off nut with a sledge to loosen the clamping force on the other end. You need to make the nut flush with the end of the stud to protect the nut from being mushroomed by the impact). Its a bit much for your average joe alignment tech, and having some spare nuts on hand would be a good idea. If you installed some non-splined lower bolts, he'd have an easier time, but it might be more likely to slip settings.

Camber plates are a better solution if you intend to change camber settings more than like once.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
yeah when I removed the bolts to replace the strut tower, I ended up using a ball joint press to press it out instead of hammering it out. Regardless, how is it intended for the camber to be adjusted with the wheel on normally? With the wheel on there's no room to hammer it out, even with an air hammer.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Ford does not normally expect front cambers to need adjustment.

Norm
Wonder how ford performance expected the alignment to go since their specs are different for the track handling kit.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
yeah when I removed the bolts to replace the strut tower, I ended up using a ball joint press to press it out instead of hammering it out. Regardless, how is it intended for the camber to be adjusted with the wheel on normally? With the wheel on there's no room to hammer it out, even with an air hammer.
Right, camber is not intended to be adjusted on the car at the strut bolts normally. They’re difficult to get at and normally you’re remove the wheel, caliper, and brake rotor to mess with them...

Which is another reason why camber plates rule and crash bolts drool.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Alright well I figured it out, I took my camber bolt out, and yes you can indeed rotate the spindle with the spline bolt in.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Reply from FRPP engineer:

from our engineer….

I would think if you remove the nut from the spline bolt and tap it back a tiny bit, the strut should move. Do not grind on a bolt!!

If the strut doesn’t move they may need to open up the flanges to free it up. It shouldn’t take much unless it is corroded.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Gotcha, thanks! For clarification, when you say the bottom splined bolt should be loose, do you mean just loosen the nut, or slightly tap it out?
Just loosen the nut.

Also make sure he installs the bolt the right direction or else your alignment guy won't be able to loosen the nut when it's on the rack.
Sponsored