Blown 4th gear twice now within 5,000 miles

Stu_Cazz74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 PP
I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium PP. At approximately 9,000 miles I disintegrated the stock clutch at a high RPM rip. I took it to my local Dealer where i have purchased many cars from and spoke with their transmission Tech. He suggested installing a RXT1200 McLeod ceramic twin disc stating that it is indestructible (So far, he is right). However, after I put about 20,000 miles on it I blew out fourth gear on a high, but not ridiculous, RPM shift. When I took it to my Dealer, they said that this is an inherent problem and stated he had another one there for blowing out third. A day later he called me and stated that Ford may not cover it due to the clutch I have in it. I explained that my the previous Tech that it would not affect my warranty and that it was installed there by them. Ford covered the replacement of the transmission. He said the new transmission they installed had brass bushing vs. plastic ones in some part it and is an upgrade. It never shifted right in first or second after the repair. I was told it was "just the way it is." Nice... Well, less than 5,000 miles later I just blew fourth out again under normal driving and shifting. Again, they blamed it on the clutch. The service manager called me and told me that Ford was going to cover it as a "courtesy" but unless I went back to the stock clutch they would no longer cover the transmission. So he offered me his "discounted" price of $1,400 to install a factory clutch... LMAO My question to all of you all is: has anyone experienced this issue and if so, what was your resolution?
Sponsored

AGM2018

I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium PP. At approximately 9,000 miles I disintegrated the stock clutch at a high RPM rip. I took it to my local Dealer where i have purchased many cars from and spoke with their transmission Tech. He suggested installing a RXT1200 McLeod ceramic twin disc stating that it is indestructible (So far, he is right). However, after I put about 20,000 miles on it I blew out fourth gear on a high, but not ridiculous, RPM shift. When I took it to my Dealer, they said that this is an inherent problem and stated he had another one there for blowing out third. A day later he called me and stated that Ford may not cover it due to the clutch I have in it. I explained that my the previous Tech that it would not affect my warranty and that it was installed there by them. Ford covered the replacement of the transmission. He said the new transmission they installed had brass bushing vs. plastic ones in some part it and is an upgrade. It never shifted right in first or second after the repair. I was told it was "just the way it is." Nice... Well, less than 5,000 miles later I just blew fourth out again under normal driving and shifting. Again, they blamed it on the clutch. The service manager called me and told me that Ford was going to cover it as a "courtesy" but unless I went back to the stock clutch they would no longer cover the transmission. So he offered me his "discounted" price of $1,400 to install a factory clutch... LMAO My question to all of you all is: has anyone experienced this issue and if so, what was your resolution?

I haven't owned a manual mustang since my 87 GT; but, were I you, I would have the transmission repaired and walk away from this pony. Your pony may have a "lemon transmission"...and based on the history of your current transmission, the probability for it to continue to have mechanical issues and be a problem for you is HIGH. Get it fixed and let someone else ride this pony into the sunset. Just my opinion and my two cents. YMMV.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
My response will not help with your question.

However, I will mention, this right here is the main reason I fear 'modding' my 2018 Mustang GT. Ford and the dealers are all too quick to pass the blame onto someone/something else, all to not provide a warranty replacement on a car, or car parts.

Alas, I hope you get some comforting responses...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My response will not help with your question.

However, I will mention, this right here is the main reason I fear 'modding' my 2018 Mustang GT. Ford and the dealers are all too quick to pass the blame onto someone/something else, all to not provide a warranty replacement on a car, or car parts.

Alas, I hope you get some comforting responses...
All manufacturers are like this now, they don't want to pay for modded cars. Volkswagen/Audi is even worse about it.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I guess in a way, just like insurance companies.

But, I digress...

All manufacturers are like this now, they don't want to pay for modded cars. Volkswagen/Audi is even worse about it.

Sponsored

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
"we're not gonna fix your car"

reason: "window tints are too dark reflecting too much sunlight"

OP
OP

Stu_Cazz74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 PP
I haven't owned a manual mustang since my 87 GT; but, were I you, I would have the transmission repaired and walk away from this pony. Your pony may have a "lemon transmission"...and based on the history of your current transmission, the probability for it to continue to have mechanical issues and be a problem for you is HIGH. Get it fixed and let someone else ride this pony into the sunset. Just my opinion and my two cents. YMMV.
Always an option, but I think that if I toast this new transmission I will simply got to a Tremec Magnum... Extra money but cheaper than a new GT...

AGM2018

Always an option, but I think that if I toast this new transmission I will simply got to a Tremec Magnum... Extra money but cheaper than a new GT...
You make a very good point; that is a good option, should you decide to keep your 'Stang.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You moved the weakest link from clutch to gears. RXT is way, way overkill for an NA car. All that's needed is a clutch with a slightly stiffer pressure plate to ensure disengagement at high rpm.

May be something with how it's being shifted also...
Very true. And a transmission upgrade will just move the weakest link to the axles or rear-end. Drive line shock is always a concern with any manual transmission car.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does anybody know which Tremec tranny the GT350 has? I ask because if it's the same as the 2013 Vette I had (T56 or TR6060; can't remember), it'd be a deal-breaker if it was on Mustang GTs. Unless it was revised since 2013, where it had a weird 'sideways' (and larger) 2nd gear synchro, I'm glad it's not on GTs. Bought a brand new Vette, which finally had a good engine (not with piston-slap, like the other 2 with LS1 and LS2), and the stupid tranny crunched when cold on the 1-2 shift due to that synchro (yes, with a skip-shift eliminator). And I was far from the only one. So I might be the only Mustang buyer who actually prefers the MT-82 than a Tremec. Ha ha.

Sponsored

RB281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I have a 2015 PP GT that I had a similar issue with. I had a Paxton supercharger, an Exedy clutch, and other mods installed. I probably had the car from the speed shop for 2 weeks when I lost 4th gear. Unfortunately I wasn’t even hot rodding, I was merging into traffic when it happened. The dealer said the clutch was too aggressive and I was worried this would happen again so I bought a T56 Magnum XL. No issues since

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have a 2015 PP GT that I had a similar issue with. I had a Paxton supercharger, an Exedy clutch, and other mods installed. I probably had the car from the speed shop for 2 weeks when I lost 4th gear. Unfortunately I wasn’t even hot rodding, I was merging into traffic when it happened. The dealer said the clutch was too aggressive and I was worried this would happen again so I bought a T56 Magnum XL. No issues since
I had a 13 putting 568 to the ground with help from a 2300 TVS. Exedy Clutch (single disc Mach 500 setup) and steel pressure plate, JPC feedline, and MGW shifter. Never had a problem. Left the line at 4000 RPM on a MT DR radial, and shifted at 7500 at the track. I shifted lower at 7000 when just running through the gears an entrance ramps or out in the middle of East BF Egypt. Put 24000 miles on it. NO issues. Keep in mind this was still the gen 1 MT-82 as well. Improvements to MT-82's (real improvements) never came to the trans until 2015 earliest. The biggest changes were in 2018. They are hit/miss. You get a good one or you get a bad one. IIRC - Lethal ran a 13/14 GT into the high nines on their MT-82. It finally gave out, but every manual trans (and eventually auto trans) needs a rebuild at some point.

Definitely not the wisest "QJ1" move by Ford to go to that trans....and allow it to be assembled in China. That is my biggest beef with the trans. I believe that if properly assembled and a few modifications it could be a good tranny. I like the gearing on them. But given the choice I would as soon see the car have a T56 or TR6060 in it factory.

Switching to the T56 Magnum is the right way to go if you wish to minimize issues. Good move.
Sponsored