larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Life.

Got news last monday that a former colleague died. He was not my friend but I've known him for 5-6 years. Good guy, disciplined soldier. Deployed with the same unit. Motorcycle accident on April 5th and they disconnected him last monday. Didnt make it. Just like that he's gone.

Back in '16 I went to weapons qual with my friend, my buddy, my brother in uniform. Had a blast for 5-6 days. We were celebrating his chevrons and getting ready for the deployment. Great wrestler, half greek/half puertorrican, beautiful girlfriend. He was a fucking GI JOE, a PT stud. He had everything.

3 days after the weap qual got a phone call. He was death by suicide. Almost 5 years now and I still cant believe it. Did I miss something? Any red flags?

Another brother. 6'2-6'3, around 260lbs. Irak, Afghanistan and a lot of crazy stories. He never backed down. This guy was a Staff Sergeant that officers felt intimidated by him. Went for a fucking routine physical exam. Found something. 1 or 2 weeks later...gone.

I dont know what Im going with this. Just woke up this morning thinking about how fragile is life.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today

Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away.

Sorry for your loss.
live every day like itā€™s your last one.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Sorry for your loss.

We get so wrapped up in life that most don't think about how quick it can be over.

Within the past week, had a 17 yr old crash off the highway into the woods, killed. This is the wreckage

106931.jpeg

A few days ago, a 15 and 16 yr old got Tboned by a dump truck. Medflighted to Boston, not sure if they will make it.

My brother in law's mother who has always looked healthy and lived a great life collapsed. Scanned at hospital revealed stage 4 cancer in her lungs and brain. Never a clue prior to that a few weeks ago.

I have 7 and 10 year old daughters and an incredible wife. It really makes you think about life and how precious it is and how much of it is out of our control.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today

Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away.

Sorry for your loss.
live every day like itā€™s your last one.
Great advice right here...ā˜

Tell everyone that you love just how much you love and appreciate them.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for your loss.

We get so wrapped up in life that most don't think about how quick it can be over.

Within the past week, had a 17 yr old crash off the highway into the woods, killed. This is the wreckage

I have 7 and 10 year old daughters and an incredible wife. It really makes you think about life and how precious it is and how much of it is out of our control.
More true words were never spoken than thisā˜

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Life.

Got news last monday that a former colleague died. He was not my friend but I've known him for 5-6 years. Good guy, disciplined soldier. Deployed with the same unit. Motorcycle accident on April 5th and they disconnected him last monday. Didnt make it. Just like that he's gone.

Back in '16 I went to weapons qual with my friend, my buddy, my brother in uniform. Had a blast for 5-6 days. We were celebrating his chevrons and getting ready for the deployment. Great wrestler, half greek/half puertorrican, beautiful girlfriend. He was a fucking GI JOE, a PT stud. He had everything.

3 days after the weap qual got a phone call. He was death by suicide. Almost 5 years now and I still cant believe it. Did I miss something? Any red flags?

Another brother. 6'2-6'3, around 260lbs. Irak, Afghanistan and a lot of crazy stories. He never backed down. This guy was a Staff Sergeant that officers felt intimidated by him. Went for a fucking routine physical exam. Found something. 1 or 2 weeks later...gone.

I dont know what Im going with this. Just woke up this morning thinking about how fragile is life.
Sorry for your loss. Hang on to those good memories....
We all need a reminder of how precious life is.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Man I'm sorry this hits home for me. I lost my best friend 3 months after I got out (on Thanksgiving day) of the Army. He was my roommate, I was nervous being the new guy at my unit but he showed me the ropes and what it meant to be a good roommate. We were in different platoons but we became very close, he felt like a brother to me. I was closer to him than my own brother.

When I heard that he died I didn't believe it, we were talking the night prior and I woke up to unread messages from him. Apparently he went to a party a got into an altercation and was shot by a 17 year old. I struggle with his death because I never got to properly say goodbye, he left early during my deployment to out process, our platoons were separated and I was out in a shit hole for 8 months. By the time we got back he had already left. It sucks because I was really looking forward to seeing him and being part of his life post-Army.

It feels really weird, my deployment really exposed me to death at a young age (I just turned 20) and mortality and its never gone away. My close friend was KIA during our deployment and had another die a year after my roommate. Then my grand parents passed, and shortly after that I got diagnosed with Systemic Sclerosis/ Interstitial Lung Disease. 2019 was a rough time for me. I had to go to the Vet Center. All of those events changed deeply me and I've learned our time is limited and it's best to put the small stuff aside and just do your best to spend time with the people you really care about. If I go out at least I'll go as a happy man.

If you want you can PM me to talk, these things are never easy. One thing I hate about getting out of the Army is that your friends still die.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sorry for your loss!
I understand your view - I lost too many people last year. None of them to covid, just gone. My friend Ryan, 33, car accident. My friend Heather, 30, heart attack on the way to work. My uncle, 87 natural causes - but happened quick. Talked to him one day, gone the next. I couldn't go say goodbye to any of them because the goddamn virus meant that "normal" burials were scaled back or pushed off all together. That breaks my heart the most. That they were all buried quietly alone.

OP
OP
larr12

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Thanks everybody. I just spent the last hour calling and texting family members.

I am grateful for my family, job and life. Wake up everyday, kiss your wife/husband/mom/father/kids and just say thanks.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
YOLO. I lost both of my parents and my wife of 38 years in a short span of years. It's part of the reason I now have a Mustang. Someone to love. Getting ready to add at least 3 more states to the list of those we have been to. :clap:

Sponsored

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One of your sentences struck me and I can tell you with out a doubt there is nothing you missed and not to dwell on it, but to remember people for who they are in the good times. Sounds callused but it's how we need to be able to move on. I have learned in a 27 year military career (and still going) that most people show nothing till the very last moments. I have seen plenty go and it's sad every time for me thinking what I missed, but in the end it's not anything they wanted me/us to see or feel.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Life is short, eternity is forever.
Be prepared.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Life is indeed too short.

It's amazing how these things make you think a little differently. I haven't looked at things quite the same since my son (only child) passed away last February, and I still fear that his mother won't pull through. Massive heart attack at 32. Two days prior, the last time I talked to him, we talked about me getting back the first custom motorcycle I built back in the mid-'90s, which was the first bike he had ever ridden on as a kid (he was stoked). We also talked about me buying a new GT500 and I still have intentions to order up a '22, but there are many days where I just don't care if I do. These material things just don't matter in the grand scheme of things, see, and in my case there's nobody to leave them to anyway.

I lost my Dad at 62 completely unexpectedly back in 2008, he essentially "shut off" mid-sentence behind the wheel with my Mom and the result was a horrific accident in a heavily wooded area in northern MN (she made it). I'm only 10 years away from that age now, and I think about it a lot. Only potentially 10 more annual fishing trips with my old buddies, etc. Or less, because you never know.

Enjoy your time and those who share it with you.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I canā€™t even imagine losing a child. God bless you and your wife.:crying:
Sponsored