Sponsored

Black Lug Nuts

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The next mod on my list was to deal with the Chrome log nuts. I wasn't really happy with the 'look' from the factory...

IMG_2474e.jpg

I therefore purchased from Nemesis a set of Coyote lug nuts (part number 631548SBLK) for £42.15 (delivered). Service from Nemesis was great and the nuts arrived very quickly. Unfortunately they are quite a bit smaller than the stock ones so once fitted this left a rather unsightly silver ring. I guess for some this would be OK but I thought it was too obvious and looked a bit rubbish.

IMG_2449e.jpg

After more research I ordered some alternatives from CJ's..these were considerably more expensive but since I'd had a few beers and the sun was shining I didn't really care. I ordered some Gorilla locking nuts (part number 96643BDX) which arrived in about five days via UPS. They were well packaged but as previous posts have stated, were all loose in a bag together. However I looked at each and every one quite carefully and can confirm no damage whatsoever, they're pretty tight in their bag so movement is minimised. Including delivery and customs charges the total was £149.15, oops.

IMG_2471e.jpg

These look much better and have no 'silver ring' at all. They stick out slightly more than the stock ones but this doesn't bother me.

IMG_2465e.jpg

Hopefully this information will be useful. Quality wise the Coyote ones seem very good, I guess they would be fine for an aftermarket application ? In any event I'll be listing them on the classifieds when I get around to it.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Can i have the coyote ones :D? My gorilla ones (not the locking ones) are totally shagged!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
My experience is pretty much the opposite to most other people. My Gorilla nuts from CJ ($40 for non-lockers and another $40 for four lockers) are looking pretty good considering i've had them on and off A LOT over the last three years checking the spacers are nice and tight. My Coyote's, fitted once, show similar marks to the three-year old Gorilla's. Time will tell.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine need changing also. I got some cheap & cheerful ones from CJ's and the finish just failed so they came off. Replaced with longer skinny "splined" ones as the photo above & I have the silver ring showing, so they need changing.

Purchased a set of these (https://nemesisuk.com/products/must...-kit-black-bulge-acorn-7-8-hex-1-54-531548blk) - middle in photo below. But not fitted yet.

nuts.JPG

On the fence as they are a touch longer than stock but do look like they'll cover the unpainted ring. What to do? Shall I just fit them?

Don't particularly wanna spend £150 but it's one of those stupid details that winds me up & I always notice!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine need changing also. I got some cheap & cheerful ones from CJ's and the finish just failed so they came off. Replaced with longer skinny "splined" ones as the photo above & I have the silver ring showing, so they need changing.

Purchased a set of these (https://nemesisuk.com/products/must...-kit-black-bulge-acorn-7-8-hex-1-54-531548blk) - middle in photo below. But not fitted yet.

nuts.JPG

On the fence as they are a touch longer than stock but do look like they'll cover the unpainted ring. What to do? Shall I just fit them?

Don't particularly wanna spend £150 but it's one of those stupid details that winds me up & I always notice!
Whatsapped you something that may take your fancy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
miketango

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
they are £79.20 from Steeda UK and normally in stock.

It shows why buying from us in the UK is nearly always cheaper...

https://www.steeda.co.uk/s550-mustang-wheel-nuts-lock-set-c2x21279565
A review on your site states that the Gorilla nuts you sell are slightly smaller than the the OEM ones and leave a ring of silver visible. Having bought the Coyote ones which did the same I didn't want a repeat of the same issue. I also noted from a quick look at the Gorilla website (v. basic) that it shows many different part numbers for nuts all shapes, sizes and colours and importantly, your website listing doesn't state a Gorilla part number.
I'm not really that concerned about the price though I would prefer to order from the UK, more bothered with wasting my own time trying to get the right thing.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
A review on your site states that with the Gorilla nuts you sell are slightly smaller than the the OEM ones and leave a ring of silver visible. Having bought the Coyote ones which did the same I didn't want a repeat of the same issue. I also noted from a quick look at the Gorilla website (v. basic) that it shows many different part numbers for nuts all shapes, sizes and colours and importantly, your website listing doesn't state a Gorilla part number.
I'm not really that concerned about the price though I would prefer to order from the UK, more bothered with wasting my own time trying to get the right thing.
Can confirm these still show the ring inside the alloys that's unpainted.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Has no one thought about just touching up the silver ring with a bit of black? I’m sure it’s not very noticeable unless you are laid on the floor looking right into one of the wheelnut holes. £150 on black nuts just to cover these rings seems excessive :cwl:

OP
OP
miketango

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I did think of doing that as a solution but thought it was a bit of a bodge, that and I never seem to have enough time just made me throw money at a solution.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Has no one thought about just touching up the silver ring with a bit of black? I’m sure it’s not very noticeable unless you are laid on the floor looking right into one of the wheelnut holes. £150 on black nuts just to cover these rings seems excessive :cwl:
Did that on my stock alloys :D

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10

Or just buy a set of black steel washers from eBay for a few quid

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That's a damn good idea!

I think I'm going to put my newest set on (pic above). They are shorter than the nuts on there at the moment & should cover the silver ring. If not, I'll be painting it I think. I'll post up some before/after pics when I've done it

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
But then surely they won't seat properly?
Sponsored