Better than BMW M4

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The S550 does have a great aesthetic going on with its layout, so I can see what you mean there. But it would take a whole lot more than some extensive swaths of higher grade leather; all of the switchgear, the trim, the gauge cluster screen and main infotainment screen, the headliner, the control area above the rear view mirror, the lack of flex in bins and compartments (e.g. sunglasses storage)... all of that stuff is to a higher degree of quality in the M. You would have to stare at everything to try and see where any cost was cut in the M3/4's assembly and build quality. If Ford changed all of the leather, replaced all of the plastics, and modified all of the infotainment, I could see it being on par as far as objective measures are concerned.

But that aesthetic thing, I still completely get what you're saying.

I love the interior of the BMW. Love it:love:
Sponsored

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
A friend of mine only buys Mercedes products (cue in Ron White "...well Ron, you cannot begin to appreciate the engineering of a Mercedes Benz...") and has often told me that even the most rudimentary of service items (oil change, tire rotation, etc.) cost a heap (over 400 bucks for an oil change at a certified MB dealer) and MB refuses to acknowledge any other service other than that performed at a certified MB dealer. Add to that the cost of parts (electric window switch over 200 bucks for a radio Shack quality on-off switch...but it's made in Leipzig, FRG by ex STASI agents now working in a capitalist factory). Bottom line...name recognition based on good PR and past marketing strategies sometimes underlies the reality that we in America CAN build good cars that can compete with the European and Asian markets...it's to each his/her own :ford:
^^^ This....

A friend has owned MBs or BMWs as daily drivers for at least a decade, and it amazes me how much the damn things cost him to own and maintain. It's ludicrous.
Agreed and agreed. I used to absolutely love BMW (came within an inch of picking up an E46 M3 years ago) and plenty of my friends have owned them over the years, so i've witnessed up close what is involved with owning one. I refuse to even go near one right now.

At this point in my life, if i'm going to go foreign it'll either be Italian or Japanese (and maybe British).

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
A guy at work just got a new M3 with the full leather interior. It is a very good looking car in person. The interior materials are very nice, but I'm not a fan of the layout. Much prefer the looks of the Mustang. Also much prefer the engine of the Mustang, even though the car isn't as fast. I'll be gladly getting a GT350 over the M3, but I'd also choose the GT/PP over the M3. That turbo 6 just doesn't do it for me.

-T

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
I guess it comes down to preferences. I've had seat time in a GT premium and an M235i. I liked the S550's aesthetics and the overall build quality is fantastic for the money. But I don't think it's quite there yet. Better than the lower trim 2s and 3s, that's for sure. I think base Bimmers are a complete rip though.
I just wanted to touch on interior quality for a second. I rented an EcoBoost Premium last weekend and actually made a point to record a video of what it sounds like pressing on various areas of the center stack. I was impressed by how solidly built it was, almost no ticks or creaks at all. I then did the same video when I got my F30 back and it was a disaster. Every piece of that center stack is flimsy and creaks like crazy. Even just pressing HVAC buttons makes the entire thing creak. In comparison it was as if the Mustang was made out of solid granite.

I will give you that some areas are not up to par (the leather is not as high quality as the F80's Merino, or as durable as the F30's Dakota) and if you know where to look there are areas that are cheap (sunglass tray, rear armrests, overhead console) but all in all the Mustang actually feels at least as, if not more solid than the F30. And that's insane considering the worst areas of the F30's interior (like the center stack!) are exactly the same as on an F80/F82 that when optioned similarly costs nearly double the S550.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
A friend of mine only buys Mercedes products (cue in Ron White "...well Ron, you cannot begin to appreciate the engineering of a Mercedes Benz...") and has often told me that even the most rudimentary of service items (oil change, tire rotation, etc.) cost a heap (over 400 bucks for an oil change at a certified MB dealer) and MB refuses to acknowledge any other service other than that performed at a certified MB dealer.

Oil change for all Mercedes other than AMG and diesel is $99.99 which includes 9 quarts of synthetic oil.

<----Mercedes tech

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Oil change for all Mercedes other than AMG and diesel is $99.99 which includes 9 quarts of synthetic oil.

<----Mercedes tech
That's a good deal.

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
Seeing how i've owned 2 BMW 5 series, the last one being a 540 Sport 6-spd, I still like bimmers, but they are crazy expensive to maintain. The m4 is twice the price of a comparable mustang and just a little faster. For the price difference between the 2 cars, you could tune your stang like crazy and spank the doors off the M4 and won't need to do anything to the interior.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
nice comparison photos :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Both are sweet rides! I really love the red interiors!

RedRain2015

Threads
Reaction score
At my height of almost 6'7", the M4, Corvette and 911 are out of the question. The Mustang GT, on the other hand, fits me about perfectly.

I'm the same height, and sure am excited about getting a Mustang for that reason ..........but the M4 has more room. I was in one at the NY auto show and 3 days ago at a dealer. Problem is that it's just not worth double the price of the Mustang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
too bad m4 starts so high

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Nice. Both super sexy. Nice pics. I think more than a few would be shocked at their lap times on a road course in that M4 back to back with their GT.
Sponsored